425?

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2009, 06:53 AM

The empty oil pan?
455 engine, tired, but still with 40+ pounds of oil pressure with 20W50 Castrol on a 65 degree day, 3.42 rear, automatic transmission, (THM400), approximately 90 MPH up a hill sustained for approximately 60 seconds, 3900 pound vehicle. I saw the oil pressure drop to zero, didn't see the pan pumped dry, but I have to assume that. Any other way to explain it?

The result? One spun rod bearing causing a knock and several damaged. Oil pressure returned to almost normal, reduced slightly by the increased "flow" through the now damaged bearings.

So I read, pre internet, and found some stuff on Olds high RPM oiling. Now in fluids and electricity, flow can be controlled by resistance. So, I believed the "reliefs" could get more oil to the rods under low pressure situations. I also didn't have the money to pay for opinions.
Too bad I didn't know Norm then.
Who was that rod salesman?

I guess I never built an engine either, REbuilt a few. No, just assembled them.

Squish? I didn't know I was addressing engineers. How about "displacement under pressure"?

Thanks for keeping it straight Norm.....

The speed at which an engine will rev can be determined only by the ability of the engine to overcome the weight and friction of the rotating mass and any applied load.
Given the same carburetor, intake and exhaust restriction, the engine with the most NET torque and horsepower will win.

I wouldn't bother measuring the capacity of the valve covers, after all you'd have to measure the amount of oil the head, below the valve cover mounting surface, would hold, fill all the oil passages, coat the internal engine surfaces with oil, leave a little in the tray below the intake, and fill the pump.

George
Old July 4th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by captjim
"I'm surprised that nobody mentions the big block oiling problem and the need for restrictors to the upper oil passages."

Jetstar 1, Bill Travato has a car that runs high 7s in the 1/4 mile, and he does not use restrictors. So is he right and you wrong?? Not arguing, just reiterating the point that there is more than one way or one opinion.
X2 I've seen very specific information from experienced sources I trust that totally convince me that oil restrictors are a no-no for Olds engines. There are better ways to address the *apparent* "big block oiling problems". I'd be happy to put anyone interested in contact with the sources.
Old July 4th, 2009, 07:17 AM

Yes, Kurt, I'd like to learn. I have a '68 455 that runs, but I'd like to "go over" the engine before using it some day. That's why I'm here, to learn.
George
Old July 4th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I learn something new on here everyday, and appreciate everyone's feedback and experiences.
Everybody, try not to get your feathers ruffled over the internet. Let us be intelligent and concise when discussing the who what where when and whys.
Old July 4th, 2009, 07:46 AM

Since I didn't have a tach when I ruined my engine, I just calculated the RPMs. With 3.42 rears, and a 235 75 15 tire, RPMs at 90 MPH were only 3400 in high gear, plus whatever RPM increase caused by the torque converter. I know I didn't float the valves, but it was not a factory installation.....
Old July 4th, 2009, 07:50 AM

Thanks, J, no feathers ruffled here, hope not to ruffle any. I enjoy being held straight. I don't do cars for a living, just an amateur with a love of the hobby. Heck, my knowledge of my profession only scratches the surface, can't expect to know as much about cars!
Old July 4th, 2009, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
I learn something new on here everyday, and appreciate everyone's feedback and experiences.
Everybody, try not to get your feathers ruffled over the internet. Let us be intelligent and concise when discussing the who what where when and whys.
J, it is not a matter of "Feathers being ruffled", it is a simple matter of respect and civility. Most members can share information, agree, disagree, and debate while still keeping things civil and polite. It would be a dull world if we all thought exactly the same. But, there are some members who cannot do this, bully other members with their knowledge. I get PMs from guys who state that one particular member keeps them from posting, that they are afraid of every word they write being picked apart and them being insulted. That atmosphere is NOT conducive to the free exchange of thoughts and ideas. The matter has been addressed here before, and it is clear that nothing will be done about it. Fair enough, but I am not afraid to speak my mind, and will continue to do so in a polite and non insulting manner. IMO, members who belittle, insult, and berate other members into not posting are not an asset to this or any other site.