400e

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2015, 07:29 PM

400e

This is an update. Is there any progress on my build? I am in my new house and can receive the motor anytime. I have waited 14 months. I receive an email stating you were starting final assembly (July 20th). No word on the cam. Something that Bullet will come up with. Stock rods, even though I wanted Scat rods, Why? Because you said probe piston were weeks out. I said I'd be willing to wait. Heck, It had been a 9 month wait already. You said the only out was $1100 custom pistons, besides at my power level the stock rods were Okay. So I caved and you got new 350 (4.087) pistons, replacing the 350 pistons that were replaced on the previous build (4.057). Heads were pocket ported already according to you. We've had the edelbrock performer from Dr. Dan for awhile. Heads getting studs for the roller tipped rockers that were on motor already. Pushrods are new. I had hardened ones that were checked and rechecked for proper length (9.55). I think I'm getting stainless valves but no hardened exhaust seats. Motor to be balanced again. Carb to be adjusted on the run stand and then tuned on the dyno along with the converted to pertronix dizzy. You finally accepted that a roller cam in the 400E block is lift limited. Lifter bores hopefully have been checked and are within specs? Oil drain backs, head to intake angles verified and, anything else that would explain a quart of oil every 3-500 miles of usage. Especially since this is on its third build in less than 10,000 miles. I had ask you, almost tongue in cheek, in July that I couldn't receive the motor till August because I was moving. Now I'm sure, somehow, it will be my fault that you were held up from July 20th till August. The 350 that I purchased and installed, because I got tired of the car just sitting, plus missing events that I had pre-entered, is running well and not using any oil. However it is certainly not the motor that the 400E was, even with its high oil consumption. I increased my budget, have always been available to you, day or night. I answer your emails almost immediately. You have been difficult to reach, slow to answer emails, and everything so far has been difficult to basically a stock build. 14 months. When its a year and a half, then what? Please treat me right. I want so bad to get my motor having reached our goal of 400hp, no leaks, no oil usage, rev limiter set to your recommend rpm. My name is George not Job.
Old August 21st, 2015, 07:37 PM
Old School Olds

Damn George, I feel for ya. That is some BS.
Old August 22nd, 2015, 05:45 AM

^^X2

good luck George!

Last edited by naphtali5725; August 22nd, 2015 at 05:56 AM. Reason: added info
Old August 22nd, 2015, 06:26 AM

I hope your able to get the engine soon George.

John
Old August 22nd, 2015, 07:29 AM

Maybe you should post this on yb or Facebook where he frequents virtually everyday.
Best of luck George, let me know if I can be of any help in any way.
Fwiw- if you used that Probe piston you would have most likely had 10.0:1 compression. Even though it could be caused by the oil consumption, didn't you have a pinging/detonation problem already as well?

Last edited by cutlassefi; August 22nd, 2015 at 07:36 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2015, 09:56 AM

Yeah. Would not take more than 28 degrees of total timing. Even with 6cc of dish machined into stock 350 pistons and .040 head gaskets. Cranking compression was 200-210. Suspicious oil consumption diluting intake charge. Never smoked or leaked.

Sent up north to be rebuilt again in June 2014. You spoke highly of him. Hopefully I will get motor soon. Praying the rods and mains will stay in it. No oil usage, no leaks, and 400hp. Fingers crossed.

I appreciate over the last three years you answering my calls and emails. Free advice and patience. Thanks.
Old August 22nd, 2015, 03:22 PM

No problem.
But if you remember I also mentioned that I didn't think his combo was a good one. I was trying to stay neutral, but his choices were way off imo.
And I "recommended" him because he said he could do it for significantly less than I felt I could. I was right, but more importantly, unfortunately for you in this case, he was wrong.
If people haven't figured it out already George, you need to let them know who's caused you all this grief. It's only fair to rest of the members here.
If he hasnt assembled it yet, I'll help anyway I can.

Last edited by cutlassefi; August 22nd, 2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2015, 04:17 PM

Posted a reply. Then it asks me to sign in again, when I already have and I lose what I just wrote. This is the second time its done it. I suck.
Old August 22nd, 2015, 04:31 PM

Haven't walked the proverbial mile in his shoes. First 6 months looking forward to a great motor. Then 9 months looked for a good motor. Now at 14 months I'm resigned. Along with some major issues along the way(Dec 2014) up until now I'm blank. Don't want to start a shyt storm with a bunch of guys on both sides. I'm nobody. He is somebody in the Olds community. I'll get what I get. I'll set the rev limiter to his spec. Hopefully it will last a year. Will it still use oil? If so I'll sell it at a loss. Go buy a Chevy that I like. After all according to Car Craft magazine you can build a junk 350 with 320hp that will run for 100,000 miles and not have to worry about spun rod or main bearings. And the build will take 2 freaking weeks. Damn, that felt good! I hold you in high regard, Thanks
Old August 23rd, 2015, 05:59 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I think we all know who it is, I know health issues have been a big part. I don't know what has happened the last few years with him, he used to have a very good reputation. I waited 5 months for crank but he had back surgery and sent it without postage being paid when he found out it wasn't sent. I know your build has been a nightmare. I don't understand the oil consumption, Olds from the factory were good in this department, much better than the mighty chebby. There always seem to be so many troubled BBO builds, which why the SBO is my personal favorite. 10 to 1 with iron heads is a lot of compression, your cam better be right on to not ping to death.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
I think we all know who it is, I know health issues have been a big part.
That's no excuse, he's on facebook and yb virtually everyday but he can't return emails etc.? No good in my book.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 07:25 AM

Not the worst engine story I have heard, but that's pretty bad.

Is there another person who you can get to take up this project?
Old August 23rd, 2015, 07:46 AM

I'm committed. When it gets here and installed, then I will update. I'm standing behind my builder, albeit taking an exceedingly long time. Fingers crossed.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 01:44 PM

You're a stand up guy George, best of luck.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 06:42 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

You are right Mark. Why do Olds "experts" get shifty and scabby the longer they are in the business? Maybe working on the Olds V8 drives a person insane? Hope everything works out.
Old August 31st, 2015, 11:38 AM

400e

Still no call or email from my builder. Last email from him was July 17, 2015. 45 days ago. Left voice messages and have emailed, no response. Is it assembled? Awaiting dyno time? Complications? Anyone out there that can get him to respond? My number is 251-340-2271.

George
Old August 31st, 2015, 12:03 PM

So is he assembling it, one turn of one bolt everyday? Times how many bolts? I think this guy is screwing you, and your too nice to see it, or too nice to say anything to him.
Good luck
Steve
Old August 31st, 2015, 04:25 PM

Just curious, is your engine in Ohio? You really are being patient. Good luck
Old August 31st, 2015, 09:02 PM

400e

Sorry, but yes it is in Ohio. Was really hoping to hear from my builder saying it was done and maybe just waiting to be dyno'ed. Thought someone near by might read this post and go check to see if everything was okay. There's always two sides to every story. Can't figure the other side. Communication ought to be a given. Lack of communication leads one to imagine the worse? Seriously? Its going on 15 months. Pick up the phone or answer emails.
Old August 31st, 2015, 09:12 PM

400e

This was the response to a question about picking a "Builder" here on Classic Oldsmobile from my builder.

Here is my advice for the OP. Contact the shops you hear good things about. Starting with the one closest to home. Have your goals laid out that the build must achieve. Then through your gut feelings about the information you receive back from those you contact narrow it down to two. Call them again and see how you get treated the second time around. If you like guy closest to home then that's a 'no brainer'. If your choosing between a pair that has to ship to you then pick the one your most comfortable with.
You will probably eliminate a few just because they don't respond to your email or return your call.
I, as well as others on that list are highly capable of building you a high quality engine that will give you 100,000 miles of service if you take care of it. But we each have different personalities of which you may or may not wish to deal with.

I just don't understand.
Old August 31st, 2015, 11:27 PM
Tanawanda

Wow;
sad story... all too common these days.
No one knows me from Adam here; maybe because I didn't notice the pee-requisite about all newbies should introduce themselves here ->>> cattle shoot
Just as well, as I'm not easily prodded anywhere. Laughs..
Anyway

In any case; you have my sincere sympathy
The world is full of givers and takers....the later ranks are clearly swelling these days.
May I suggest, only going from your post here, getting all your property returned promise fulfilled or not. In parallel meeting with an attorney for redress?
"breech of contract" even if only verbal. Just in my NHO

Best Wishes

By the way - I've only posted 2 messages here and both times had to re-login after message was composed. Maybe a simple timeout I dunno

Last edited by Tanawanda; August 31st, 2015 at 11:29 PM. Reason: additional info
Old September 1st, 2015, 09:54 AM

I'm not saying anything about this Ohio engine builder, who wasn't at the Miller Oldsmobile meet at Norwalk this year. I have a Nephew who is into AMCs. He dropped his engine off at a big time AMC guru in W Va. The guy was a healthy 68 y/o. Stayed in touch, talked to the guy after thanksgiving, guru said he was under the weather. Short story, guru had pancreas cancer and passed in a few weeks. Nephew got most of his parts back but lost a lot of $ and some parts. Ended up taking it to another W Va. Guru that was near the first. Engine ended up being very expensive. Very scary situation your in. I'm about 40 miles from an "Ohio" Oldsmobile builder and I was going to have him do some work for me but he never got back with me. I'm glad he didn't now. Good luck
Old September 1st, 2015, 05:50 PM

400e

I know he had some health issues last summer. That's the reason I didn't panic when he went past the two month completion date he quoted me at the onset (June 20 ish 2014) of this build. I certainly hope he's okay as I, of all people, am sympathetic of health issues. Heretofore he has answered emails through his cell phone network so I am mystified why he hasn't answered or tried to call. My fingers are crossed. Thanks to everyone for your advice and kind thoughts.

George
Old September 1st, 2015, 05:54 PM

He's way past being sick. He's on Facebook and Yellow Bullet virtually every day. He's ignoring you for some reason, plain and simple.
Sorry for your troubles George.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 07:16 AM

400e

Have rec'd a phone call ,finally, from my builder. Thanks Chadman for your help. My motor is together and will be dyno'ed early next week. It has been a trying experience and I hope everything turns out okay. No more oil usage, engine runs good and stays together. He has had some serious health problems. Health is everything. I sincerely wish all the best to my builder and his family. Will keep everyone posted on the final outcome. Thanks.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 07:50 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I think his health is going downhill, something we will have to all face. A sudden cancer diagnosis is one thing, maybe time for him to retire before his reputation is completely ruined. Let's face it, an engine designed and raced in the 60's has equally old experts, for the most part.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 07:07 PM
Tanawanda

Obviously unhappy extenuating circumstances; that's why I said based on the post my opinion was. Shows how we can be wrong -
Acrimony is not appropriate, if it ever really is. Prayers are appropriate. :-(

Last edited by Tanawanda; September 3rd, 2015 at 07:09 PM. Reason: addition
Old September 3rd, 2015, 07:19 PM

I hope you get it soon and have some friends to help install it and get it going. I would help if i were near. I hope the builder is ok. Prayers to you both
Steve
Old September 16th, 2015, 09:39 PM

400e

Tomorrow will be two weeks. Sept 3rd I called and motor was together. Now I've been waiting for 14 days and counting on dyno. Suppose to get a dyno and a spec sheet. Will she still burn/use oil? Will she have vacuum for p/b's? Will horsepower/torque goals be met? Fingers crossed . . .breath held. Will post periodic updates.

Thanks to all for concerns expressed or felt.

George
Old September 17th, 2015, 05:38 AM

You're a saint George. I hope in the end Smitty comes thru for you.
Old September 26th, 2015, 04:24 PM

Any update yet?
Old September 27th, 2015, 09:49 AM

400e

Rec'd a long awaited update this morning, Sunday 27 Sept 2015. I am elated at receiving communication from the builder himself.

But alas. We are STILL awaiting the dyno. Maybe October? I'm numb and bewildered. Trying to maintain.

George
Old September 28th, 2015, 10:01 AM

400e

I have decided to cancel the long awaited dyno. After much consternation and waiting I have decided , as of Sunday 10:30pm 27 Sept. 2015, to have the motor shipped sans a dyno. Have sent emails to two different email addresses and placed one unanswered phone call requesting that the Dyno be cancelled. Once I have rec'd acknowledgment and that the motor and all spare parts are ready for shipment then I will send the new "ship to" address. No negatives, no positives at this time. I just want my motor. Thanks everyone and . . . . . . . .sorry for the turmoil.

George
Old September 28th, 2015, 10:21 AM

Are there any good builders out there, or are they all trash? My plan is to only source out the machining, and hopefully find someone local.
Old September 28th, 2015, 10:38 AM

400e

Good builders? Yes! There are many. Are they all trash? No! Most are honorable. Sometimes life gets in the way. Good luck in your search. Where are you located? Maybe someone will give you a recommendation. Keep us posted.

George
Old September 28th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Administrator

While a dyno run is always nice, asking him to at least run it and break it in, do all the adjustments and ship you a finished product that you can just drop in, I don't think is too much to ask.
Old September 28th, 2015, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
While a dyno run is always nice, asking him to at least run it and break it in, do all the adjustments and ship you a finished product that you can just drop in, I don't think is too much to ask.
You are absolutely right, but I think he may want to actually have it this year..........
Old September 29th, 2015, 10:32 AM

Sorry for your problems George and I can sympathize with it, several years ago I place 2 engines in a machine shop and we made the list of things to do and every 2 weeks I checked on them to see any progress and it was SLOOOOWWW but I am patient and the old guy had a great reputation. A month went by and I called for days and no answer then I went down and found out he died and somebody in his family sold everything including my W30 and W31 engines! I went to the police and they said its a civil matter. Nothing came of it no proof!! just my reciepts of the beginning of the project. I hope your motor comes soon and you have a good motor with no oil issues!! Praying for you!
Old September 29th, 2015, 10:41 AM

I also have to say your a patient and kind man and I know you deserve that motor back in perfect running condition and if its not then I say let our fellow members know who this is and I am sure your going to be considerate in your response. Your integrity shows! Most of us jump up and down and scream bloody murder if we had the same problems. Keep us posted
Old October 4th, 2015, 09:25 PM

400e

Just got back from "CRUISIN' THE COAST". It's an week long event held each year in early October on the gulf coast. It was a wonderful day (70ish and low humidity). The 350 Olds, placebo motor, ran flawlessly. Good oil pressure and 180 degrees. It got a great 16.72 miles per gallon and didn't burn any oil. I have made this 5,000+ car event for the last five years. We will go back over on Weds. for the swap meet and to participate in some of the events. Plus there is always the casinos and their headliner shows. Plus we get to eye ball some more Oldsmobiles. Will return home Saturday. Wish I had my original motor, but maybe next year. My motor is painted (Bill Hirsch Bronze) and, crated and, ready for shipment. We will see how everything turns out. Thanks for all the kind wishes and thoughts. Maybe soon.

George,
Cruising in South Alabama

Quick Reply: 400e