Aurora motor

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2011, 11:02 AM

Aurora motor

I would like to take an Aurora motor and staighten it out. Put in a 49 Olds. What trans can be used and what if any problems to watch out for?
Old January 30th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by FTolliver
I would like to take an Aurora motor and staighten it out. Put in a 49 Olds. What trans can be used and what if any problems to watch out for?
The Aurora is a smaller displacement Northstar. Everything you need to convert it to RWD is here:

http://www.chrfab.com/

The biggest problem with running the Aurora-Star in RWD applications is the water pump, which is driven off of the back of the driver's side (in RWD applications) cam. The pump usually conflicts with the brake booster and M/C. Some folks use an electric pump, though I'm still nervous about those in full time street applications. Of course you'll need a standalone ECU to operate the fuel injection and ignition.
Old February 1st, 2011, 02:04 PM

Thanks Joe.
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The biggest problem with running the Aurora-Star in RWD applications is the water pump, which is driven off of the back of the driver's side (in RWD applications) cam. The pump usually conflicts with the brake booster and M/C. Some folks use an electric pump, though I'm still nervous about those in full time street applications. Of course you'll need a standalone ECU to operate the fuel injection and ignition.
For more information on the "issues" inherent in this process contact Shelby American regarding its "Shelby Series 1" or read about it in books like Snake Bit by Eric Davison. If THEY had problems doing it, I might consider choosing another engine altogether (or do what THEY said they SHOULD have done, and that's have started with the original Northstar V8 instead...)
Old February 14th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

The Aurora and Northstar are externally virutally identical, except for the intake cover. Anything that applies to one applies to the other. I haven't read the book, but I have seen a lot of cars with Aurora-Star swaps. As I noted, the water pump is the main problem.
Old February 14th, 2011, 06:23 AM

I'm absorbing all info here and doing my home work. As much as I would like to run an Aurora, I'll probably go with a 455. Not a bad choice at all. I know the Aurora was the groundwork for the "star", BUT the star is not an Olds. It's just one of those things, I have an Olds not a Caddy. It will be powered by an Olds motor.
Old February 14th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by FTolliver
I'm absorbing all info here and doing my home work. As much as I would like to run an Aurora, I'll probably go with a 455. Not a bad choice at all. I know the Aurora was the groundwork for the "star", BUT the star is not an Olds. It's just one of those things, I have an Olds not a Caddy. It will be powered by an Olds motor.
I'm not sure what groundwork was laid, but the Northstar was relesed in 1992 (the 1993 Allantes started production in April 1992 so they could be the 1992 Indy Pace Car). The Aurora came out with the 1995 model year. The only substantive difference between the two is the bore - 87mm for Aurora vs. 93mm for the N*. Stroke (and thus crank) is the same for both.
Old April 26th, 2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm not sure what groundwork was laid, but the Northstar was relesed in 1992 (the 1993 Allantes started production in April 1992 so they could be the 1992 Indy Pace Car). The Aurora came out with the 1995 model year. The only substantive difference between the two is the bore - 87mm for Aurora vs. 93mm for the N*. Stroke (and thus crank) is the same for both.

I read this somewhere...

It is a shame that both the new regulations from Washington and the public's outcry on the horsepower race forced Olds to abandon this engine. With more development, it could have helped GM get a jump on their competition. As it was the lessons learned from the W-43 and the OW-43 did allow Olds to easily develop the Quad 4 and the Aurora V8.