Trans Line & Serp Belt

Old October 18th, 2011, 04:37 PM

Trans Line & Serp Belt

I'm working on my GF's 04 Alero with the 2.2. She took it for an oil change and the place said the belt needed replaced and the transmission cooler lines were rusted and leaking. They ofcourse offered to replace both.

Any hints or tips on changing either. I'm assuming the belt has an automatic tensioner, but is there a cover that has to come off or does the front motor mount have to come loose?

Also, I can't find the lines by looking under the hood. Do I need to raise the vehicle?
Old November 3rd, 2011, 12:34 AM

Usually the can be removed without taking to much stuff apart... You might have to take the fan shroud off. There is a tensioner pulley. To detension it you just put a socket wrench on the nut that mounts the pulley and turn it one way or the other (I think its counter clockwise? could be wrong). You will notice the pulley move and the belt will get saggy. Hopefully you have 4 hands. You can just pull the belt off of a random pulley once you've detensioned it. To reinstall it, there is a belt routing diagram on the fan shroud that kinda helps. Now is a good time to note if the tensioner is wimpy or sticky.
The trans cooler lines are most likely threaded into the bottom of the radiator, so the best vantage point to see them is underneath. You can trace them back to where they mount on the trans once you've found them... Note how much space you have to work with before you get into it... It might be worth letting them swear over it. good luck