Aftermarket throttle body fuel injection

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2015, 12:25 AM

Aftermarket throttle body fuel injection

Have any of you retro-fitted your 442 with the aftermarket throttle body fuel injection available from MSD, Edelbrock, etc.? They're pretty pricey (over 2k), but they advertise that they eliminate alot of fuel related performance hiccups that carburetors have. Any input would be helpful.
Old December 18th, 2015, 09:25 AM

Wink

Carburetors Man, that's what life's about!

Anyone remember which movie that was in?
Old December 21st, 2015, 07:51 AM

It was Phantom of the Paradise in case anyone wants to know. Back to the OP, my opinion is unless you drive mega miles it is a waste of money. If your having stumbling and performance issues, there is something wrong and should be fixed. If it is the carburetor that is causing your grief it is a relatively cheap fix. The source of your problem should be resolved before you even think about FI. JMO.
Old December 24th, 2015, 07:49 AM

I did a write up of an install of a Holley Terminator on the 442 clone, haven't had the time to also post here, but this is the link:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ght=terminator

FiTech has a self-learning system that is under $1k, and they are staging for a price reduction:

http://www.fitechefi.com/default.asp.pg-Products

There's a fairly informative thread on PY regarding this system, and many have installed it:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ght=terminator

The benefits of an EFI system are obvious, but just to say, TB setups are generally better for engines under 600hp, personally I say more like in the 350-500hp range. Multi-port is your best choice for over 500hp, and/or if you have a forced induction engine.

When I was on the 2014 Power Tour, going over the Cumberland mountains, 3500 ft, my carb engine leaned out by 4 jet sizes, at least, and had to do a roadside adjustment. Once I came out of the clouds, I had to jet back down. That made the decision for me regarding EFI.

The number of people that were side-lined for that segment were many, and at times saw groups of people pulled over. I like to drive my cars, so it was an easy choice for me.

The clone is a 355 with iron heads, with the carb in not so perfect conditions, ran low 13s. With the throttle body, just by seat of the pants, I can easily tell it's quicker and more linear power, though haven't had it to the track yet. Throttle response, mpg, and drivability have all improved a noticeable amount.

I will never go back to carbs.