Looking for a Car and a Person

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2012, 04:16 PM

Looking for a Car and a Person

Looking to find my old 1970 442 W-30, 4speed Muncie, 3:91 gears, plastic fender wells, w-25 hood, w-27 differential, proper heads, cam and no power brakes or A/C. Metallic maroon with white stripes. Small amount of bondo for a repair to the left front fender where my buddy backed into it.
Car was sold by ex-wife in 1982 in Clovis, N.M. To a young guy that lived across the street of our mobile home park. Since I was in the Air Force I lost track of it when I was stationed in Korea. A friend saw it there several years later in a field with weeds growing up through it. Have since contacted all junk yards and car shops in the area, no luck.
Traded my 1960 El Camino for it while in high school in Phoenix, Az in 1975.

Also looking for an Olds guy that built my first engine for the car. His name is Bob Voss. He lived in Chandler AZ while in the Air Force, he was a jet engine mech that rumor has it, retired in the VA area. He campaigned a mean 68 442, "Voss Olds" for several years. Just looking to reconnect.
Old April 8th, 2012, 07:02 PM

Honestly, unless the '70 was still in the Clovis area, and it's apparently not since you've done some checking, I'd say that the odds of finding this car after 30 years are indistinguishable from zero. For all you know, it was since wrecked or junked and doesn't even exist any more. Lots can happen in 30 years. Given that it was known to be in the weeds, it's in fact probably more likely than not that it's now PART of those weeds. But good luck.
Old April 8th, 2012, 07:27 PM

good luck, sounds like an awesome car, who knows, unless you ask you may never know. Was she your ex wife at the time or is that the reason she's your ex?
Old April 9th, 2012, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
good luck, sounds like an awesome car, who knows, unless you ask you may never know. Was she your ex wife at the time or is that the reason she's your ex?
The reason, at least one of them.
Old April 9th, 2012, 06:27 PM

Agreed

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Honestly, unless the '70 was still in the Clovis area, and it's apparently not since you've done some checking, I'd say that the odds of finding this car after 30 years are indistinguishable from zero. For all you know, it was since wrecked or junked and doesn't even exist any more. Lots can happen in 30 years. Given that it was known to be in the weeds, it's in fact probably more likely than not that it's now PART of those weeds. But good luck.
I agree completely but hoped someone would know what happened to it and put my mind to rest. Also there is that minuscule chance someone has it fixed up and ready to sell. Also hoped someone would know Bob Voss of Voss Olds fame.
Old April 9th, 2012, 07:12 PM

i know of a voss family that lives in brainered,mn and there is a son that i went to school with that is named bob voss.he would be in his 40's now.not sure if they are related.have you tried to look him up on facebook ? you never know.good luck on the search.i wish i could find the first owner of my 73 h/o.bob
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:01 AM

I seem to remember the V.A. being able to contact guys you served with, to get back to you!
A friend did that, a Vietnam Vet!
Old March 16th, 2019, 02:47 PM

For those who would like to know Bob Voss passed away in 2012. I now own his 68 442 (undocumented) W30. I’m in search of friends of his who might know anything about this car. —Billy