Used OAI vs. Thronton

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2011, 08:46 AM

Used OAI vs. Thronton

Hi guys,
I have the opportunity to pick up a used OAI original hood w/only a very little bit of rust in the latch attachment area and no damage to the fiberglass as I can see(it's out of state from me). It comes with the hood tooth and trim as well. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it based on the fact that it's roughly the same cost as a Thornton hood. I have always appreciated the feedback and thoughts. Please let me know!!!
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:31 AM

If it's an original OAI hood it may be best to go with that. The Thorton hoods are very nice, but from what I understand there is a huge wait to get one. I know some of the more knowlegeable guys will chime in on this.
Old April 8th, 2011, 10:56 AM

I've checked some of the links and searches before and can post pics. It appears to be a Pace Car hood so I called and started asking questions. I have pics and so far as he explains there is not rot, just surface rust in a few places. I've heard such good things about Thronton I just want to do what's best. Over $2k is a lot for a hood no matter where it is, but my 442 came with OAI, so I want to get a good one back on it. It's the kind of thing that pulled me to the '70 442 to begin with years ago. It's this hood (below) from a prior post. Found the guy from another source and found it was posted here via Ebay. Just want some opinions on if you had $(within normal guy's $) would you buy this or the Thornton?
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-not-mine.html
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:05 AM

If it is truly a nice hood,and there are NO rust holes in that metal strcuture,then it's worth the $2500.00.If the metal structure has any holes,or needs repairs,then it gets expensive,and the price goes down.I know stick31 has one for sale,and I have some myself,but I am in Pennsylvania,and he is in Connecticut.
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:24 AM

When I talked with the guy he told me he didn't see anything like this, just a little rust around the hood latch holes but wouldn't be a problem to clean them and be ok. I just don't want to make a mistake here. It's a lot of money for one of these and I want to do it once. Also, he told me he got it from a guy in TN who was replacing it off of his Pace Car for a Concours restoration with a NOS hood.
Old April 8th, 2011, 02:31 PM

I think there is a hood here for sale in Chicago I'll check for you
Old April 9th, 2011, 06:04 AM

Thanks, love to have a few options.
Old April 9th, 2011, 09:34 AM

You say your car came with an OAI hood. If you have documentation of that, then I think it's best to get an original hood to put back on even if it cost more to restore/repaint than a repro in better condition.

If you don't have documentation, you'll have a hard time convincing a future buyer of that, so I would put on whichever will cost you less to get onto the car.
Old April 9th, 2011, 10:28 AM

I will not be selling this car...ever. The guy I bought it from sold the OAI hood before I bought it from him. Thanks.
Old April 9th, 2011, 09:42 PM

I have a 70 Thornton I would sell for 2K.
Old April 10th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Registered

I think I've seen that hood in pics, the rust doesn't look too bad.
Original is always better than a reproduction in correct terms, always feels better too.
But a Thornton for the same price that doesnt need any work sounds real good also.
What's the difference between a pace car OAI hood and any other OAI hood?
Old April 10th, 2011, 07:14 AM

Bluevista, that's the challenge I'm facing...both good choices. I don't see any difference between a regular OAI hood and pace hood..just painted that way.

Orange442...sent you a PM. Thanks!
Old April 10th, 2011, 01:12 PM

no difference unless its original paint and in good condition and you have a pace car - otherwise its another original hood that needs to be repainted
Old April 10th, 2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jacoz70442
When I talked with the guy he told me he didn't see anything like this, just a little rust around the hood latch holes but wouldn't be a problem to clean them and be ok. I just don't want to make a mistake here. It's a lot of money for one of these and I want to do it once. Also, he told me he got it from a guy in TN who was replacing it off of his Pace Car for a Concours restoration with a NOS hood.

Of course he's going to tell you that..HE'S THE SELLER!!

Unless you can see it in person AND know what to look for you are making a big roll of the dice. Look at the pics in that ebay auction....appears to be plenty of rust at the back of the hood also.

Put a Thornton hood on it and you won't have to roll the dice. It will have little to no effect on the value of the car IMO....to many it may be worth more with a Thornton as you know it's NEVER been repaired, has fresh paint on the metal underside, and will likely never rust out.

Call Thornton and see what the waiting time is....it's likely worth it. Go to Vegas if you want to roll the dice.

Last edited by 70Post; April 10th, 2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old April 11th, 2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by 70Post
Of course he's going to tell you that..HE'S THE SELLER!!

Unless you can see it in person AND know what to look for you are making a big roll of the dice. Look at the pics in that ebay auction....appears to be plenty of rust at the back of the hood also.

Put a Thornton hood on it and you won't have to roll the dice. It will have little to no effect on the value of the car IMO....to many it may be worth more with a Thornton as you know it's NEVER been repaired, has fresh paint on the metal underside, and will likely never rust out.

Call Thornton and see what the waiting time is....it's likely worth it. Go to Vegas if you want to roll the dice.
I appreciate the opinion on the hood. What I could do without, and it see this all too much on enthusiast sites, are the cynical comments. If you think it’s not a good hood, thank you. I, nor anyone else, don’t need the Vegas points. Every part and car is a gamble unless you forged it yourself, can track it from the source, or know where everything came from personally. We’ve all bought things that did or didn’t turn out to be what we expected(do a search on any of the vendors) with both positive and negative results.
I want to get a good hood and parts, I just would like honest talk not the negative that tends to float in whenever I read feedback. It’s great to see both sides of the argument, but don’t ding someone you don’t know. Ebay, swap meet, company, etc. all have some reputable business to them and some who aren’t. I’m willing to at least listen to this guy(he has NO negative feedback at all) to see if it’s worth it. My request was simply which direction you would go(Thornton or Used), so thank you for the reply and I will take that into consideration with whichever direction my purchase takes me.
Old April 11th, 2011, 11:55 AM

I highly doubt 70Post was being cynical. He was being honest and I didn't see where he criticized you.

He's saying a Thornton hood will probably cost you less in the long run, there wouldn't be much of a difference in car value if you eventually sell (never say never).

Would you like your car any less if it had a repro hood ? No one else will care. I stand by my earlier point that the only way a real hood may be worth the extra expense is if you can show a future buyer the car originally came with it.

I have a 442 that came with the basic hood, so I didn't see the need to find an original hood for it...I got a repro in good condition and am completely satisfied.
Old April 11th, 2011, 12:40 PM

Viking Blue-thanks---I see your point on values and was "arguing" the other side as it is another possibility. I would also guess it could also depend on the particular buyer of the car with an original vs. Thornton. Each buyer is different...one guy may be a serious purist that demands all original parts. The next guy may take a different view and prefer a hood that's been recently made (Thornton).

Thanks for your posting above also....I wasn't being cynical (OK...maybe just a little but that's to emphasize my point).

Jacoz - My point was (and is) that you are taking a lot more risk relying on a used hood that you can only see in pictures and have to rely on another person's opinion of as to its condition (with that person very possibly having a natural bias towards going "light" on the description since they want your $$$). Maybe you are going to look at it in person before parting with any money....that would be a great idea. Still, you may or may not be able to tell if the hood has had any prior repairs under the paint.

I've had my hands on plenty of used parts that I've stripped down to check their condition and restore. Any number of things can be hiding under paint, etc. and these days it is more the norm than the exception.

You also want an opinion based on pictures...that's my other point....you can't really tell that much based on pictures when it comes to parts like this (especially overall pics without a lot of detail). Sure, you can get a general idea of the condition BUT you still can't tell the full extent of any rust and/or any underlying damage to the glass parts of the hood....the very two things that could really hammer you on costs to repair and ruin any sort of price advantage or savings you thought you had.

So, I approach these potential internet purchases as a consideration of risks and comparison of alternatives. What factors increase your risks with this used hood? (pics only, hidden damage, rust in one area usually means more rust in other places, potentially biased seller, the fact that it's 40+ years old and used, etc). What factors increase your risks on a Thornton hood? (possible value effect to car).

My "style" of posting isn't intended to be critical of YOU but IT IS intended to be critical of the part and of the seller. That's how I write 'em and that's not going to change.

Last edited by 70Post; April 11th, 2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:00 PM

70Post, I appreciate your point of view. It's good to have those who have had experience on here provide some good feedback. This is a unique piece of the car for me and I can see you points. I understand there is a lot hiding in photos...it's like Internet dating: don't believe it until you see it in person. I try to weigh all the options without stewing over things for a lifetime.

Looks to be a few hoods here and there, and am leaning the Thornton way with things. I've been trying them since last week(Bar-Jack kinda screws things up for timing) to get ahold of Troy again, but talking with Orange442 as well. Don't really care about "original" or not, but want good quality and my consideration was, "if I can get a really good used one w/a hood tooth and trim for the same as the Thornton before shipping, it might be a good idea." Guess we'll see in the next day or so. I'll let you guys know and I do apprecaite the expertise here. Thanks for the posts!
Old April 11th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Gary

I tried to stay out of this thread,I have a Thornton Hood for a 72. The workmanship in the hood is very good. All I did when I got it was to sand the primer they had on it and then shot PPG epoxy primer and painted it and striped it. I did not really care about originality,because my car did not come with an OAI hood. I just wanted something nice and had good quality. The hood is all I could ask for. I too plan on keeping my car and I want to be able to drive it. I was convinced by reading members on here comments on the Thornton hood, and that is what sold me. They crated it vey well and shipped it to my door. The only thing that may deter you is the wait time. It took me a year to get mine but that was not a problem because I was doing a total restore and I knew I was in no hurry for it. If I had a choice between an original and a Thornton, then I would choose the Thornton all over again because you don't have to do any type of repairs on it and dont have to worry about what is under the paint. I did post pictures of the hood on here previously when I got and also after I painted it.

Last edited by Gary's 2 442-S; April 11th, 2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old April 11th, 2011, 08:42 PM

Well, this pretty much wraps it up. The comments that really hit home are the guys that have them. I'm going Thornton. Thanks for the posts and replies everyone. I'm jacked up!
Old April 11th, 2011, 09:08 PM

"it's like Internet dating ; don't believe it until you see it in person."
You don't really know what she looks like until you meet him in person!