Springs

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2009 | 06:57 PM

Springs

The springs in my car are 41 years old and I think it's about time to change them. Looking for input for a place to get them. I want a original looking spring that is going to give me the correct car height. Please let me know your choices.

Thanks, Dan
Old April 26th, 2009 | 08:19 PM

Smile

Someone in another post said Fusick cuts them to the right length for your car. Sure was easier 20 years ago. I got a fresh set of Moog's for my 69 442 right from NAPA, and they were perfect.
Old April 27th, 2009 | 11:25 PM
is Fast Enough ...

On a stock set up I use Vista Cruiser cargo coils in the back, they were $95 at sears , they are variable ratio and It raises the rear a bit. I've researched this some and it seems that the 442 had a "Dago Rig" where the rear is down slightly . I could be wrong. In any case I set it up like any a-body I've done ...

You have to get calibrated springs from Fusick for the front depending on options ...

Last edited by mugzilla; April 27th, 2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old April 28th, 2009 | 12:56 AM
Registered

Rockauto.com should have the Moog and other brand springs for your car. They've been closing out a lot of parts lately and they may not have many left. They say how many are left in stock and the pickens are getting slim on a lot of the Olds parts. The cars did sit about 3/8-9/16 of an inch lower in the rear stock. I'm half "Dago" and I think my butt still sits at the correct factory height? It does drag after a hard day at work though.
I needa the cargo coil or air shock so she cana make it all better.

http://www.rockauto.com/
Old April 28th, 2009 | 06:58 AM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Rockauto.com should have the Moog and other brand springs for your car. They've been closing out a lot of parts lately and they may not have many left. They say how many are left in stock and the pickens are getting slim on a lot of the Olds parts. The cars did sit about 3/8-9/16 of an inch lower in the rear stock. I'm half "Dago" and I think my butt still sits at the correct factory height? It does drag after a hard day at work though.
I needa the cargo coil or air shock so she cana make it all better.

http://www.rockauto.com/
I've done Cargo Coil and air shocks. With separate air lines you can pre-load the passenger side shock for the drags ...
Old April 28th, 2009 | 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Cameo White
Someone in another post said Fusick cuts them to the right length for your car. Sure was easier 20 years ago. I got a fresh set of Moog's for my 69 442 right from NAPA, and they were perfect.
Dan, that was me. I ordered mine from Fusick. Took a couple weeks, but it wasn't too bad. They should be in my car when I get back. I'll be dropping the engine in as well, so I'll get a better idea on how the car sits over the next month, if you want to wait. However, I trust Fusick. If they say they cut to specs, I believe them.

They're definitely more expensive than what you can get at RockAuto or JEGS, but I think it's worth it. I've seen more 442 riding "too high" than I care to remember.
Old April 28th, 2009 | 07:35 AM
Banned

i bought new edelbrock springs and shocks for the old w-31,they were perfect.

stock stance,and nice firm ride,no bouncing all over the road.
Old April 28th, 2009 | 08:22 AM
is Fast Enough ...

I didn't replace the fronts because the car sits right with them plus I figure they should have good rise rate like six banger springs ...

I compromise to straight line performance ...
Old April 28th, 2009 | 09:43 AM

Thanks everyone for there input. I think I'm going to give Fusick a try. I have had good luck with them. This is something that I only want to do once and I really don't mind spending a little extra knowing that I will have a better spring.

Once again "Thanks"