Shifter

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Down South

Shifter

My 1970 olds 442 sport coupe has a bench seat and a very unoriginal looking floor shifter. It looks like the shifter came of a Ford Granada. It looks out of place. Can anyone help me with pictures of the OEM floor shift and console for the bench seat set up. I would appreciate it.
Old December 10th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Past Administrator

I don't think that was available, the console only came with the bucket seats because it was too long to fit between the front of the bench seat and the firewall. I will try to find a picture of the console to show you.
Old December 10th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dkatz
My 1970 olds 442 sport coupe has a bench seat and a very unoriginal looking floor shifter. It looks like the shifter came of a Ford Granada. It looks out of place. Can anyone help me with pictures of the OEM floor shift and console for the bench seat set up. I would appreciate it.
Is it a manual or automatic? The floor shift for the A/T was only available with bucket seats. The manual trans WAS available with the bench, but no console. On the 442, the base package was the HD 3spd manual trans (that's a Ford toploader three speed, believe it or not) with a floor shift and bucket seats (but no console). The bench seat was available as a credit option (you got money back), so the least expensive 442 would have been a bench seat with three speed floor shift.
Old December 12th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Down South

automatic

Its a 3 speed automatic box with a floor shift with no conslose and a bench seat. I want to find the original shifter.
Old December 12th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Past Administrator

As Joe said, floor shift for automatics weren't available on a car with a bench seat.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 10:59 AM
Down South

"The bench seat was available as a credit option (you got money back), so the least expensive 442 would have been a bench seat with three speed floor shift."

Am I right in understanding what you are saying that it was possible to have a bench seat with a three speed auto floor shift. If this is correct How do i prove that the floor shift is original?
Old March 2nd, 2009, 11:50 AM

Hey dkatz, no it could have a three speed standard shift trans. A three speed auto and bench seat would only be on the column, any three speed auto that was a floor shift would have to be bucket seats.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:09 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dkatz
"The bench seat was available as a credit option (you got money back), so the least expensive 442 would have been a bench seat with three speed floor shift."

Am I right in understanding what you are saying that it was possible to have a bench seat with a three speed auto floor shift. If this is correct How do i prove that the floor shift is original?
No. Try this again:

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The floor shift for the A/T was only available with bucket seats. The manual trans WAS available with the bench, but no console. On the 442, the base package was the HD 3spd manual trans (that's a Ford toploader three speed, believe it or not) with a floor shift and bucket seats (but no console). The bench seat was available as a credit option (you got money back), so the least expensive 442 would have been a bench seat with three speed floor shift.
I left the words "manual trans" off the end of the very last sentence because I thought I had already covered it three times previously in that paragraph.