question for you convertible owners

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2009, 05:37 PM

question for you convertible owners

I am having a hard time getting my passenger side latch to catch....my question is: if the pump is not dragging (like the pump is run out of fluid as the top starts to come against the top of the windsheild) will I need to add fluid to the pump at this point or will I need to make an adjustment to the latch assembly. thanx for the help guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
oldslake3.jpg (114.4 KB, 9 views)
oldslake2.jpg (92.9 KB, 14 views)
oldslake.jpg (108.2 KB, 12 views)
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:11 PM

It has been my experience that the pump will drive the top down pretty good against the bar for latching....sometimes you need to position it a little pushing it one way or another to the side but not much. The pump could be a little low especially if this problem just started?
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:43 PM

My hydraulics bring the top down to where is just contacts the top of the windshield but not hard. When the top is down all the way it seems like it doesn't matter if I try and run it down harder or not it just kind of stops right there. Then I can engage the latches on each side. I am wondering if this down position is adjustable somehow with adjustable stops or something like that. I will try and look in my manual for some information on this and will let you know if I find anything.
Old February 8th, 2009, 09:27 AM

Check the alignment of the rear window. Mine is out a little & sometimes it'll lean in & interfere.
Old February 8th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Registered

Mine just stops a little above the header and won't go any more too. If it is just a little bit you can adjust the latch hook but the top has to be snug to the header for it to seal. The lever shouldn't be too hard to push over after it's hooked. A lot of those handles get broken or bent because they're too tight.

The top fabric could have been installed too tight or links could need adjusting, side rail hinge stop too tight? If you have a convertible you really have to have the Fisher Body manual to get your brain around these things.
If the top is cold it will shrink and stop short and be a lot harder to latch, usually you don't use them in colder climates in the winter.
The quarter and door windows should always be down when you put the top up, quarter windows up first.
Old February 8th, 2009, 01:49 PM

thanx for the answers guys....

I know on my 70 SX convertible it tends to move about a quarter to a half inch forward as the top contacts the header....I can hear the pump dragging like it is in the full down position....so I would lean towards the pump having an effect on how far down the front header bow will press down on the header itself. This is a brand new top installed by a professional shop, so it could very well be an issue with the top adjustment. And I had left the top unlatched so the brand new weatherstripping I just installed on the front header bow on the top would not get compressed. I think that is working against me too. As I took the car out for a drive (70 degree day yesterday here) the top starting lifting up and I realized it wasn't latched (duh) and I never could get the passenger side to catch which meant no fun for my right foot. I couldn't go over 35 mph. I guess the 1st thing to do is yank out the back seat and top off the pump with it in the full up position. My problem with these pumps is I always tend to over fill the thing and when I put the top down some oozes out and ends up seepeing on the carpet in the back. thanx again for the help guys.
Old February 8th, 2009, 03:37 PM

I looked in my Fisher Body Manual last night and couldn't see an adjustment for the top down position on the windshield header. It mentioned adjusting the front of the top having an adjustment to move the top forward or rearward to adjust where the top sits on the header(and I am not sure how this is done), but not up or down. You can try and bleed / fill your hydraulic system. It may also be that your fabric is just streached over the frame a little tight as mentioned and holding the top up a little off the header. If it is close and you can just grab it and pull it down the rest of the way to latch it and it will probably be ok for you. The fabric may also streach over time and the top will lay down on its own. Good luck.
Old February 8th, 2009, 04:58 PM

The fact that the top is new says a lot. When mine was new(did it myself) it had a hard time reaching the windshield so I adjusted the latch hook just enough to catch. As the top heated up in the sun, it got easier to close and I even adjusted the hooks back a little to where they originally had been. Give it some time it'll be just fine.
Old February 8th, 2009, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by toplessrocket
The fact that the top is new says a lot. When mine was new(did it myself) it had a hard time reaching the windshield so I adjusted the latch hook just enough to catch. As the top heated up in the sun, it got easier to close and I even adjusted the hooks back a little to where they originally had been. Give it some time it'll be just fine.
X2
As the material naturally stretches, latching will become easier. I went through this already...
Old February 9th, 2009, 04:06 AM

stretching top

Turn on the heater and let it sit in the sun. [If you can find any] It will help the material stretch. Especially if it's a dark color top.