PSA: How NOT to clone a 72...

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2019, 12:38 PM
Old(s) Fart

PSA: How NOT to clone a 72...

Normally I wouldn't bother, since a post like this just pisses people off, but this ad is so egregious that I couldn't stop myself. Let's use it as a teaching moment...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Oldsmo...orig_cvip=true

From the ad (emphasis added):

1972 Oldsmobile 442 Convertible
(Real W29 442 Convertible, Not a Clone, Replica, Fake, Etc.)
If you've been looking for a 442...you have a few options. While 1972 is the best looking year for a 442, it's also the most confusing. It seems everyone with a 1972 Cutlass "thinks" they have a 442. Well, that is simply not the case. A 1972 442 could be ordered with a single exhaust and a 350 2 BBL in 1972. This is why DOCUMENTED 1972 442's are hard to come by. If they have the W29 appearance package, and it's documented, well then you have a real 442.

I've got way too much money in this car than I'll ever recover. I want this car to go to someone that will understand the time and money put into this car...by a Oldsmobile Collector. I know these cars better than most. It's always nice to buy something from someone that knows about what they are selling.

I know Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, and airplanes...and not much else...
OK, so the seller is a self-decribed Oldsmobile expert. I would think such a person would know that a real factory-built 1972 442 would NOT have the stainless chrome on the rockers, the side trim on the doors, or the O L D S M O B I L E letters on the trunk.

I also suspect that the factory would have done a somewhat better job of aligning the numerals on the fenders.

Then there's the implied claim of documentation. If you read the ad carefully, it never actually says that THIS car is documented, just that documentation is important for a 72 442. That's the most truthful sentence in the ad. This photo is presented in the ad.

The thing is, the seller never actually posts a photo of the cowl tag. We have no idea if this broadcast card is actually from the car in the ad or not. If it is, it's a one-of-none car, since the Inspectors Guide clearly says that the rocker trim is deleted with W29.

And just for reference, here is a real, correct 1972 442 convertible. Caveat emptor.

Old July 16th, 2019, 04:18 PM

Well done Joe !
Old July 16th, 2019, 05:31 PM

You probably saw me snipe him instantly for several of the same things on his Facebook ad this morning. Good point about whether the broadcast cards are for his car. The "previous owner's preference" excuse for the decklid letters is such BS. Half the time people don't even put them back on a Supreme that is supposed to have them - nobody is going to correctly drill and put them on their 442.

Terry
Old July 17th, 2019, 02:29 AM
Lansing built

I believe this the same guy another member has been barking about to stay clear of this idiot. Same town of Itasca, Illinois

Pat
Old July 17th, 2019, 03:25 AM

I seen that earlier this week and had the same thoughts about the car as Joe...
Old July 17th, 2019, 09:15 AM

You've got to admit, nice barn themed house and building, unfortunately also a knockoff.
Old July 17th, 2019, 09:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

So apparently the seller is a little sensitive to the comment's he's received. The car has just been relisted on ebay with some edits to the text of the ad.

So, the rocker molding isn't "correct", but I like the look of it. The Oldsmobile Script on the decklid is incorrect for a 442, correct for Cutlass, I like it...thats why its there.
Old July 17th, 2019, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Quote from the ad...
So, I had a 6 speaker Bluetooth setup designed and installed for the car...I don't mean I had some guys build some boxes...and there we go. I had acoustic monitors actually tune the sound system to match the quality in my home stereo...that was another $4,500.

I have never seen this done on a ragtop.
Old July 17th, 2019, 09:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Quote from the ad...
So, I had a 6 speaker Bluetooth setup designed and installed for the car...I don't mean I had some guys build some boxes...and there we go. I had acoustic monitors actually tune the sound system to match the quality in my home stereo...that was another $4,500.

Well, his spare tire must really enjoy the stereo...

Also note in this photo that this is not an original SuperStock wheel car, despite the sticker on the underside of the trunklid.

Old July 17th, 2019, 09:46 AM

What a dong. When I noted the trunklid letters on FB, he said they were "installed per a prior owner's preference" (which I said nobody would be crazy enough to do to W-29 car since it's a lousy job to get them located correctly.). I always root for these cars to not sell for a long time so a BS owner doesn't get rewarded.
Terry
Old July 17th, 2019, 09:55 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Nun the less decent restoration. Just should be stated as that...nicely restored CS vert. That's all it is W/O the docs to back up the claim.
If we're nit pickin...exhaust tips don't have the correct bumper reveal...Look like 2.5" tips maybe?
Old July 17th, 2019, 09:59 AM

I barely made it through his description without disgust. blah, blah, blah, blah blah Does anybody read this with enthusiasm ? He also has a GTO for sale and the description is just as excessive.
But the wordsmith does have a gem at the end... "I'm ridiculously picky...and this car shows my character.
WOW
Old July 17th, 2019, 10:24 AM

stereo

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Quote from the ad...

I really try not to knock anyones car.. to each his own. But this guy is really stretching the truth .. $4500 for an acoustically tuned sound system - for a convertible ? Was the top up or down? Car moving ? etc, etc... Maybe his house roof is retractable ? LOL,, The stereo shop must have had a field day. The Alpine 8" sub in the back cost $125 x 2 =$250,,,, wheres the other $4250 :- )
Old July 17th, 2019, 12:57 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Vader
I really try not to knock anyones car.. to each his own. But this guy is really stretching the truth .. $4500 for an acoustically tuned sound system - for a convertible ? Was the top up or down? Car moving ? etc, etc... Maybe his house roof is retractable ? LOL,, The stereo shop must have had a field day. The Alpine 8" sub in the back cost $125 x 2 =$250,,,, wheres the other $4250 :- )
Simple error on his part - he forgot to write-up he installed a DC>AC inverter to power the Rogue Audio Pharaoh Integrated Amp installed in the glove box.
Old July 17th, 2019, 01:13 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Sway bar looks wrong too -- the relief for the pumpkin shouldn't be a semi-circle, it should be angled. Makes me wonder if the control arms are even boxed.
Old July 17th, 2019, 01:48 PM

audio

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Simple error on his part - he forgot to write-up he installed a DC>AC inverter to power the Rogue Audio Pharaoh Integrated Amp installed in the glove box.
Damn, your right. Plus, I'm sure he's using DH Labs speaker wire at $800 a foot !!

Last edited by Vader; July 17th, 2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old July 17th, 2019, 01:52 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Vader
I really try not to knock anyones car..
No one is knocking the car. It's the "truth decay" in the ad copy that is the problem.

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
Sway bar looks wrong too -- the relief for the pumpkin shouldn't be a semi-circle, it should be angled. Makes me wonder if the control arms are even boxed.
The ad says that the sway bars are aftermarket (Hotchkis).
Old August 1st, 2019, 08:11 PM

Ended:

Did anyone see that this sold on July 18? Sold for: US $27,500.00...
Old August 5th, 2019, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by 1970cs
I believe this the same guy another member has been barking about to stay clear of this idiot. Same town of Itasca, Illinois

Pat
Pat,
You are absolutely correct. The seller "Joe from Ithaca", Illinois. He claims that his cars are unique, usually one or two owner cars, heavily documented and heavily optioned. He always has a story for selling his cars. Too many cars, now involved with aviation, rarely driven, wife said the car must go, etc.
I read " Joe from Itacha's" Ebay advertisement on the car referenced in this thread and observed many of the items discussed in this thread.
In addition, "Joe from Itacha " has many 442's for sale. In addition to the '72 referenced in this thread, we saw his '72 heavily documented factory U code, W29, 442 convertible depicted in Ebay with photographs that were stellar. I spoke with "Joe from Itacha" and he described the condition as impeccable.
The reality was every body panel needed work and the quarters looked like they were sprayed with shotgun blasts.
"Joe from Ithaca" is at best disingenuous, and I'm being restrained.
In addition "Joe from Ithaca " also had a '70 black 442 convertible, factory air, etc. Similar story.
Stay clear from this guy, although I understand your temptation. In addition, "Joe from Itacha" advertises from other states.
BE CAREFUL!!! (And yes I'm the guy barking) LOL

Last edited by twilightblue28A; August 5th, 2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old August 5th, 2019, 01:31 PM

Exhibit

Another "Joe from Itacha " 442

C
Old August 5th, 2019, 01:51 PM

Appears someone got ripped off for 27500 on this job if that's what they paid. There's visible rust in the weatherstrip channel right in front of the trunk hinge. That can't be good.

Would I drive this? Sure. Would I pay that much for it? Oh hell no.

I cannot prove or disprove this car being a 442 from the fragmented evidence in this thread. I do have strong suspicions it has only enjoyed 442 badging in recent years, however. But one fact does remain. "Joe from Ithaca" doesn't know squat about 72 Oldsmobile 442s except for maybe what he read on the interwebz.

It seems over the years that there are more 72 Olds 442s today than there were in production at the end of 1972. Looks like Mr. Magoo drilled the fender holes for the 442 emblems. This seems to be a difficult thing for cloners to do. They don't have to be perfect, but you can see the misalignment from 45 feet on this car. SLOPPY. It would have been easier to cut off the stems and double sticky tape the things on. Drilled holes are forever.
Old August 5th, 2019, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by twilightblue28A
Exhibit

Another "Joe from Itacha " 442

C
Must've sold it or something. It says that page no longer exists. And I can't seem to locate it. Hmmm.
Old August 7th, 2019, 05:02 AM

I don't do Facebook so I can't look it up. What was he asking for the black car? No interest in buying but just curious what he thought it was worth.
Old August 7th, 2019, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by rand5204
I don't do Facebook so I can't look it up. What was he asking for the black car? No interest in buying but just curious what he thought it was worth.
Hi Randy,
I hope all is well. I'm another non Facebook user. I saw "Joe from Ithaca's" most recent car ('70 black convertible) on Ebay. I forget the price partly because the seller was "Joe from Itacha."
I remember he, as always, had a great "story" about the car which is typical.
From what I remember, "Joe from Itacha " was asking around 55K, including all the cars "stories!" LOL...
You may want to double check my recollection by reviewing Ebay's history.
Stay well!! I hope I helped.

Last edited by twilightblue28A; August 7th, 2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old August 7th, 2019, 03:42 PM

Hi Randy,

I just checked Ebay history. According to Ebay, the car sold for $63,100.00. Ebay identified "This listing was ended by the seller because the item was sold." I do not believe a word from this guy's mouth based on my prior experience on his '72 W29, factory U code, factory air convertible identified in my prior post.
The 1970 black 442 had every aftermarket sticker that I have ever seen on any car. Aftermarket stickers were placed on the alternator, rear sway bar, etc. I pay no attention to "Joe from Itacha's" gorgeous photographs based on prior experience.