My 442

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2012, 09:10 PM

My 442

Hey all. After a few requests to see some pics here they are. Its a non # matching 455. original 4 speed and everything else. lots on the engine has been mickey moused together and needs some good TLC. Thats a original ram air hood unknown if it actually belongs to car and I'm not positive those are original fender wells or repros. I'm driving to a shop in Crossfield tomorrow, and he knows absolutely everything there is to know about olds. He said he can tell me if its an actual W-30 or someone tried to clone. Interior needs plenty but both carpet, headliner, and the vinyl top is recently redone. Seats are in really good shape. The dash could use some work and the wiring underneath is a huge rats nest that needs to be cleaned up. The paint has quite a few scratches and swirls but a good driver quality, and last on my list to do. The only real sore spot is a huge paint chip on the front of the hood. no rust issues or bondo all original panels. and all the chrome is original and been rechromed. all in all a great driver car that I'm gonna have fun cruising around with. If any of you are in Alberta I'm sure ill see ya around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG051.jpg (48.2 KB, 94 views)
IMG052.jpg (54.7 KB, 84 views)
IMG053.jpg (58.7 KB, 86 views)
IMG056.jpg (60.1 KB, 107 views)
IMG055.jpg (60.0 KB, 77 views)
Old July 16th, 2012, 09:12 PM

here's some more pics
Attached Images
IMG057.jpg (57.4 KB, 81 views)
IMG058.jpg (49.5 KB, 73 views)
IMG059.jpg (54.3 KB, 79 views)
IMG060.jpg (58.3 KB, 88 views)
IMG061.jpg (52.2 KB, 69 views)
Old July 16th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Nice car. I posted a pic of what it would look like if you had a white like the cowl tag says it was born with. Check your other thread.

More than likely the inner fender liners are original. The 70 442 had red ones like that. Although you have the W25 OAI hood, it looks like all the underhood parts are missing. Far as the interior goes, you can get pretty much the whole interior from Legendary or PUI now. Both seem to have followings that say the products are great. I've heard good and bad from both sides, so it seems to balance out in the wash.

Your paint looks like it's the right tone for Rallye Red
Old July 16th, 2012, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R

More than likely the inner fender liners are original. The 70 442 had red ones like that.
Say what?

Cool car!! Great combo...non-ac and then there's that chrome thing sticking up from the console!!
Old July 17th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Old School Olds

That is one nice looking car!
Old July 17th, 2012, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Screamin70
... and I'm not positive those are original fender wells or repros. ...
One thing i noticed is that the placement of the windshield wash container doesn't appear correct; it should be (or have been) mounted closer to the fender.
Old July 17th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Maybe it's just the angle of the camera shot. I thought the inner fender liner has holes already pierced on the liner for the reservoir. Looks pretty close to me. Might look 'slightly out of place' due to all the mods he says have been done to the engine?

Body-Engine-2.jpg
Old July 17th, 2012, 10:09 AM

hhmm ya I guess I coulda moved it a bit closer. I had to replace the pump and bottle everything was missing. Took me about 15 hours to get everything good on the car to pass out of province. I looked at about 50 pictures trying to see where to put the bottle some had them in the back, or even on the drivers side. it looked like that was no set place. I decided on passenger front. There wasn't any holes so I had to move the bottle around till it looked like it fit the best. I've been looking and talking to people about the RAM air set up and prices range from 800 bucks to 1500. A little out of my budget when I save some money I dont know what I'll wanna do first the original rims or the RAM air.
Old July 17th, 2012, 10:17 AM
delete

You are prob already aware, but a factory W30 4 speed would not have power brakes. It would have manual discs. Nice car & good luck with it.
Old July 17th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Nice car!
Old July 17th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Screamin70
There wasn't any holes so I had to move the bottle around till it looked like it fit the best. I've been looking and talking to people about the RAM air set up and prices range from 800 bucks to 1500. A little out of my budget when I save some money I dont know what I'll wanna do first the original rims or the RAM air.
Well there goes my theory... The Assembly Manual for 70 would have helped a bit on the install.

Where did the car come from? You said it needed an OOP inspection. Original style rims would be either SSII or SSIII. The II's are argent color and the III's are coded to the body color. There are also 2 different styles - bolt on center caps and snap on. The bolt ons you have to be really careful when you remove the wheel lugs so you don't damage the finish on the center cap. Snap ons are no biggie. They are repopped so either way you can get them. I just checked the local Calgary/Edmonton pick n pull. Calgary has nothing but Edm has about 6 Cutlass that may have SS wheels. They sell cheap so it's a no brainer to just blast them and paint.

re: RAM air? With Olds it's called OAI (Outside Air Induction). The OAI hood on your car - is it original? If yes, don't ever get rid of it. The parts you need for the underhood you can get from Thornton's for around 429.00 + shipping. Not sure if it will sit right on that carb you have. Someone will know though.
Old July 21st, 2012, 11:59 AM

The Car came from Toronto had it shipped back west. I'm happy I could save her she wasn't driven for 3 years. OOP already done and passed. Do you know Shorty and Terry out of Crossfield they know absolutely every tiny detail about my car and picked everything apart. It is a original 4 speed car and just as we suspected a poor W-30 clone. But it is an original W-25 hood and the car did look like it actually was an OAI car originally as all the proper things are there just missing the parts I guess. There's a 69 442 on alberta kijiji for 10k was asking if he wanted to trade his rims for my center lines which can be a possibility there new after market 15's id have to get them repainted seems like a good trade I think. Shorty owns a shop in Crossfield and said him and his boys can get the engine bay bolt for bolt looking exactly like it did out of factory for 8 grand for a full resto on the engine and tranny and engine compartment. A little pricey for me but maybe if I decide to go that route that would be the way to go bring it to some oldsmobile fanatics. I also managed to buy 1 working and 2 parts AM radios an 8-Track 2 1970 license plates and some other odds and ends like window rollers for 125 bucks i think it was a steal.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 01:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Cool story. I believe I met Terry yesterday at the Olds show. Very nice guy and willing to share info. Ask Shorty if his wife's name is Denise. If it is, I met her yesterday and that's her car in the pics that I posted earlier.

The 69 for 10K is OldsmobileDave's out of Cochrane. He was at the show yesterday to with his gold 69 442. He said it was a GM executive who ordered the car and the paint job was done over in exactly the same pattern it left the factory. It has one of the nicest interiors I've ever seen on a 68/69.

125 or 2 radios and a working 8 track? Steal of a deal. If you need the name of someone who does an EXCELLENT job of overhaul (and also does the underdash pods) for these old 8 tracks? W70442 on this site - his name is Randy. He does stunning work.