Loose 442 badge

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2020, 05:11 PM

Loose 442 badge

Tried searching for the answer but didn't have any luck.

On my passenger side, the first 4 on the badge is loose. I can barely see the nuts that hold them in place and getting to them seems like quite the challenge. Is there a method or trick to getting in there in order to tighten it up?
Old March 16th, 2020, 05:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

You might try removing some of the inner liner bolts and see if you can force the inner liner back enough to put a wrench in there. Check with the door open to see if you can see the problem area - use a bright flashlight. Possibly you can get in that way. While you're in there also clean out any debris or leaves that are accumulated. They cause the fender to rot from inside out on the lower part. That's why a lot of patch panels are sold.
Old March 16th, 2020, 06:33 PM
Randy C.

I had the same problem on the passenger side with my '69 4-4-2. I couldn't reach the 4 from the wheel opening (with the inner fender removed, which I could do on the driver side). Nor could I reach it from the door opening. What I ended up doing was loosening the two bolts that hold the rear bottom of the fender to the frame and gently moving the fender out from below to access the speed nuts and tighten them. I was afraid that it might crack the paint but it did not.

Randy C.
Old March 17th, 2020, 03:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

Those emblems are installed and tightened before the fender goes on the car. You can try loosening the two lower bolts that hold the fender to the body, but also remove the bolts that hold the plastic inner fender to the frame to provide a little more give. Unfortunately, there is a high likelihood that any rust on the bolts at the bottom of the fender will cause the nut on the blind clip nuts to break loose and just start spinning. Given that risk, you may want to try to tack bond the emblem in place with a little clear silicone instead.
Old March 17th, 2020, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I think I might just take Joe's advice and tack bond it with some clear silicone. Not looking to potentially cause anything else to go wrong (crack paint or break clips/nuts).

Thanks again.

Joe, I wasn't able to make it out to Capitol City Rockets meet up last weekend. You guys just playing it by ear for the meet up in Manassas in April with everything going on?
Old March 17th, 2020, 08:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by NoVA_69_442
Joe, I wasn't able to make it out to Capitol City Rockets meet up last weekend. You guys just playing it by ear for the meet up in Manassas in April with everything going on?
Yeah, don't know what's going on yet. Some cruise sites are banning cars on cruise night. I don't know what Burger King is doing yet, and chances are it will be different by April anyway.