Just bought a 1969 442 on ebay

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2016, 05:48 PM

Just bought a 1969 442 on ebay

I think I got a good deal. Working out the shipping/payment tomorrow.

Looks like a canuckistani build--is there a resource to find out more?
http://www.vinwiz.com/1965-1971gm.php?vin=3448791153328

http://r.ebay.com/ieV8qu
Old December 7th, 2016, 06:21 PM

I hope you realize you have insulted some of your northern neighbours.

Last edited by RROLDSX; December 7th, 2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old December 7th, 2016, 06:44 PM

It looks like you got a good price on it as well.

Looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing more about the car.
Old December 7th, 2016, 06:45 PM

It was stated with love.
Old December 7th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Congrats
Old December 7th, 2016, 07:46 PM
same but different

Hea, way to go Bryan, looks like a nice one.
Old December 8th, 2016, 03:56 PM

t
Old December 8th, 2016, 04:01 PM

I saw this car locally on Craigslist and thought it was a good buy.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/5899499199.html
Old December 8th, 2016, 05:26 PM

Alberta car?

Do any of those receipts show the car spending time in the Calgary Alberta area? That looks a lot like a car that a fellow named Paul used to own in Okotoks AB.

I think I have pictures of it and also recall the engine being rebuilt.
Old December 8th, 2016, 06:06 PM

Double check the VIN because what they have listed can't be correct.
34487910s560704

From what I can figure this should be correct...344879S560704

Not sure what plant the S is though.
Old December 8th, 2016, 06:39 PM

Yeah the one listed there is not real. He sent me the CBP release with the VIN listed in the OP.
Old December 28th, 2016, 06:34 PM

This is turning into a real chore. Got the car here, but he hasn't sent the Canadian registration, so I can't title it. I called the auction house owner he bought it from and the guy said he called a few days ago saying he had lost it.

The condition of the car is pretty shitty--nothing as described in the listing. Everything detailed/receipted on this car happened in 2009 or prior, except for the tires which have receipts from 2010. I believe the paint was applied with a broom. Now I know why the pictures were taken in the rain.
Old December 28th, 2016, 08:01 PM

To check out documents on a Canadian car, go to george-gm@vintagevehicleservices.com / George Zapora in Oshawa Ontario. He works out of GM Canada HQ. Costs about $140 CDN. You get a package back showing all the options and the original owner and the original dealer the car was shipped to, plus the complete specs for the car.
Old December 28th, 2016, 09:50 PM

where in Canada

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Do any of those receipts show the car spending time in the Calgary Alberta area? That looks a lot like a car that a fellow named Paul used to own in Okotoks AB.

I think I have pictures of it and also recall the engine being rebuilt.

You never answered my question.
Old December 29th, 2016, 09:47 AM

You never answered my question.
Sorry missed your post earlier. The receipts are all from Kelowna, BC.
Old December 29th, 2016, 10:02 AM

Fyi

Originally Posted by Bryan Burch
Sorry missed your post earlier. The receipts are all from Kelowna, BC.

What is the oldest date on the receipt? I figure that is the car from Okotoks AB that I looked at 10 years ago & it sold & went to Kelowna BC or the owner (Paul) took it with him. I recall he was relocating for work but not sure where he went. If it is the same car there was a ton of $ put into the engine.
Old December 29th, 2016, 10:14 AM

Never mind. Found the pics of Paul's car on an old laptop. Same color combo but options are different.

Good luck with your car.
Old December 29th, 2016, 10:36 AM

Never mind. Found the pics of Paul's car on an old laptop. Same color combo but options are different.

Good luck with your car.
Thanks! Hopefully he's able to come up with the registration.
Old December 29th, 2016, 12:54 PM
72 Olds CS

The sellers feedback shows its not the first time he has sold w out the title and had issues producing paperwork
Old December 29th, 2016, 01:18 PM

Canada has registration only, no title documents. For $18.00 Canadian you can get a new registration document based on the VIN# from ICBC (Insurance Corporation of British Columbia) our Provincial insurance carrier. I do believe any ICBC Autoplan insurance broker can do that if it's within one year of previous insurance. If not within one year, you need to write to ICBC head office. However this will only get you the previous registered owner, a transfer of ownership document is then needed to make you the new owner in BC. How all that work out in your state is were things might get complicated.

PS. It looks like you did pretty good on the purchase price. Seems like a solid car that needs a little TLC to fix up. Do the little things and drive as you go. The only part of the paint you can see when driving is the hood!

Last edited by Mike77; December 29th, 2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old December 29th, 2016, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
The sellers feedback shows its not the first time he has sold w out the title and had issues producing paperwork
I just noticed that. This was within the last month. His feedback was 100% clear when I bought the car. This has me worried.
Old December 29th, 2016, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mike77
Canada has registration only, no title documents. For $18.00 Canadian you can get a new registration document based on the VIN# from ICBC (Insurance Corporation of British Columbia) our Provincial insurance carrier. I do believe any ICBC Autoplan insurance broker can do that if it's within one year of previous insurance. If not within one year, you need to write to ICBC head office. However this will only get you the previous registered owner, a transfer of ownership document is then needed to make you the new owner in BC. How all that work out in your state is were things might get complicated.

PS. It looks like you did pretty good on the purchase price. Seems like a solid car that needs a little TLC to fix up. Do the little things and drive as you go. The only part of the paint you can see when driving is the hood!
At this point, any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I have no faith that he'll be able to produce the registration, even though he at least had to have it to clear customs. So let's assume it's lost. He bought it from an auction house in BC in February of 2016. Whether or not it was insured is questionable. I have the bill of sale from his purchase at the auction house, the customs clearance form, and the bill of sale from my purchase from him. Do you think this is doable?
Old December 29th, 2016, 07:11 PM

All of his positive feedback are from him purchasing items. There are only two feedback items with him as a seller and both are negative.

Hope the OP is able to work out the registration problems...wonder if this is why the seller bought the car last year and never registered it himself.
Old December 29th, 2016, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
All of his positive feedback are from him purchasing items. There are only two feedback items with him as a seller and both are negative.

Hope the OP is able to work out the registration problems...wonder if this is why the seller bought the car last year and never registered it himself.
Thanks, I'm crossing my fingers. He had to have had it to get it cleared customs. Last resort, I'll try a hail Mary and claim on ebay's protection plan if I can't get it titled.
Old December 30th, 2016, 05:54 AM

If you like I can inquire about getting you some registration documents. The registration will show the last registered owner in BC. If it's the same as whom you purchased it from it should be easy to get it "titled" in your state. A transfer of ownership document is only valid for 10 days in BC, it is then registered in the new owners name.
Old December 30th, 2016, 03:19 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

How can a car shipped across the border with no record of registration/ownership...did he self declare or use a broker/ trucking company?

Nice car btw
Old December 30th, 2016, 09:00 PM

something is not sounding right on this ownership documentation. The process to transfer ownership in BC. requires 1-sellers original ICBC registration(proves he owns the car) 2-buyer fills in Ownership Transfer document. 3-Buyer/seller present transfer document to ICBC (with-in 10 days) pay applicable tax.4-recieve new registration with buyer as new owner. The ownership Transfer document is only a temporary proof of ownership. It expires after 10 days. If it expires the before a new owner is registered the legal ownership reverts back to the seller. I just went through the ICBC legal stuff when I sold my motorhome last year.
To bring car to USA to sell the car needs to be imported, prove ownership, pay
applicable taxes. The guy you bought it from has to have correct ownership documents in order to legally sell this to you. If a broker was used and he is telling you someone from Canada needs to send documents then something doesn't sound right. Contact E-bay for advise. Do it before the expiry time to make a claim . I think it's 30 days so you better hurry.
Mike
Old December 31st, 2016, 04:47 AM
dualquadpete

In Ontario you have 6 days to transfer ownership [title] legally,but!!! these "flippers] don't want to pay the 13% sales tax & no trace of them owning the vehicle, so they try to sell it with ownership still in original owners name. I think if you sell a certain # of vehicles in a year, Province considers you a dealer, & you need a lic. Agree with Mike 77 get on E bay O boy A$$ & file a complaint ASAP Pete
Old December 31st, 2016, 08:54 AM

That's what happened with my motorhome. I drove it to the guys place and completed the paper work. He never completed the transfer of ownership and register the MH in his name. Didn't want to pay the Tax. Was still legally owned by me. I could have literally taken the MH and re-sold it. Nothing he could have done. On the flip side if he illegally drove it and had an accident I would have been libel as the registered owner. Of course law suit would have been filed. Who needs that hassle. After a year the guy needs to move the MH and he can't license it or register it in his name because the transfer document expired. I had changed my phone#. Guy remember were I lived,shows up at my door and we fixed his problem. If I had moved he would have been SOL. The MH $25K would have been a parts car.
Bryan do you still need any help? Time is not on your side.
Mike
Old December 31st, 2016, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by sammy
How can a car shipped across the border with no record of registration/ownership...did he self declare or use a broker/ trucking company?

Nice car btw
The car cleared US Customs, and a valid Canadian registration is one of the required documents when doing so. I have the clearance form from customs. However, it appears he lost the registration in between the time he bought the car in Feb 2016 and subsequently sold it to me in Dec 2016. He did use a broker/trucking company, JR Hulls, I believe. He said he's calling them to see if they have it. No word back from them yet.
Old December 31st, 2016, 08:55 PM

That's what happened with my motorhome. I drove it to the guys place and completed the paper work. He never completed the transfer of ownership and register the MH in his name. Didn't want to pay the Tax. Was still legally owned by me. I could have literally taken the MH and re-sold it. Nothing he could have done. On the flip side if he illegally drove it and had an accident I would have been libel as the registered owner. Of course law suit would have been filed. Who needs that hassle. After a year the guy needs to move the MH and he can't license it or register it in his name because the transfer document expired. I had changed my phone#. Guy remember were I lived,shows up at my door and we fixed his problem. If I had moved he would have been SOL. The MH $25K would have been a parts car.
Bryan do you still need any help? Time is not on your side.
Mike
Yeah, I think I do need help. I have:
  1. US Customs and Border Protection Clearance Form (EDIT: the registration had to be present to clear)
  2. Bill of Sale between him and the Canadian Auction House
  3. Bill of Sale for my purchase
  4. Car in my garage

He bought the car from the auction house in February 2015. Ebay says I have 90 days on title issues to make a claim. I really should make a claim now anyway due to the condition of the vehicle being grossly misrepresented.

Last edited by Bryan Burch; December 31st, 2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old January 1st, 2017, 10:15 AM

I will look into obtaining a replacement reg. for you tomorrow. Send me your VIN #. Looks like it'd within the one year window so It should be doable.

Mike
Old January 1st, 2017, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by mike77
i will look into obtaining a replacement reg. For you tomorrow. Send me your vin #. Looks like it'd within the one year window so it should be doable.

Mike
vin 3448791153328
Old January 2nd, 2017, 08:26 AM

I will look into the ICBC reg. requirements. Your Vin# indicated an original Canadian car made in Quebec. Did you know the VIN you gave me is different than the one listed on the ebay advert.

PS ICBC closed today
Old January 2nd, 2017, 09:18 AM

I will look into the ICBC reg. requirements. Your Vin# indicated an original Canadian car made in Quebec. Did you know the VIN you gave me is different than the one listed on the ebay advert.

PS ICBC closed today
The ebay advert shows the cowl tag nubmers.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by sammy

Nice car btw
Easy, just drive it across and don't declare it.

Good luck, hope you can work this out.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by RROLDSX
Easy, just drive it across and don't declare it.

Good luck, hope you can work this out.
Thanks, me too!
Old January 2nd, 2017, 07:49 PM

IMO: You're going to have to play hardball and use the title/registration issue as a way out of the deal. No registration equals no deal. Get your money back and make the seller come and get his car.
I bought a car from a dealer here in the states and he failed to get the title to me. In the end he came through, but only because I new the system and started putting real, as well as legal pressure on him.
It's sad to say but so many people out there really don't care about doing the right thing. Once they got the cash in their hands they've already moved on. And they have no real intension of finding the title. They'll just pay lip service until you give up.
My most recent Ebay purchase was also the same. The title was promised but never delivered. But I don't really need the title here in Alabama and I bought the car for the sum of it's parts. No big deal. I just left negative feedback stating the title issue so the next guy dealing with him knows what a scumbag the seller is.

I am very sorry you're going through this. It can be very stressful.

Last edited by Olds442redberet; January 2nd, 2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 08:55 PM

What's the name of the Canadian Auction House? Adesa? What's the name of the guy you bought it from?
Old January 2nd, 2017, 10:37 PM

What's the name of the Canadian Auction House? Adesa? What's the name of the guy you bought it from?

The Canadian auction house is Mackee Auctions (mackeeauctions.com) I called John Mackee a while ago and he told me that the seller (Peter) called him because he can't find the registration. He was nice, but wasn't much help.

The guy I bought it fromon ebay is Peter Harrett of Top Secret Customs http://www.topsecretcustoms.com/

Last edited by Bryan Burch; January 2nd, 2017 at 10:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 1969 442 on ebay