Gauge bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2014, 08:47 PM

Gauge bulb replacement

Is there an easy way to replace the bulbs in the gauges on a '68? If not, is there an easy way to remove the gauges so that you can get to the bulbs? I've got a '68 GMC pickup, and the easiest way is just to take the whole gauge cluster out at once, but that doesn't look possible on the Olds. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old November 20th, 2014, 09:23 PM

You probably need to use your 'phone a friend' on this one. The sockets are more easily reached by a person (insert appropriate version: wife - GF -child, etc) that has smaller hands that can reach up under the dash to get the sockets out. You can assure them that there is nothing up under there that can shock them.
Old November 21st, 2014, 04:03 AM

Long, skinny arms helps. I have a '69 GMC p/u and have no problems changing the bulbs. But then again I hardly drive it very often. Less than a thousand per year. Back to the '68, I have a long flexible LED flashlight that really makes a difference in working under the dash. It helps to not work in direct sunlight because there is just too much light to see properly.
Old December 7th, 2014, 05:10 PM

They are replaced by lying on your back on the floor, reaching and feeling. It is a tight fit. Have to remove the A/C duct if applicable. Under dash insulation will fall in your eyes. You will learn where the bulbs are. Good to have a full set of bulbs and extra bulb holders. Replace any holders that look bad. The holders contact copper traces on a circuit board. Try some conductive grease on any holders that don't seem reliable - they only work sometime. Took me a while to get all of mine working reliably.