Early 72 442 cars

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2012 | 10:01 AM

Early 72 442 cars

OK so it is well known that the first 10 W-30 cars came with red fender wells. About what month would that have been done with?

Any way to tell when the post coupe models were built? There were over 100 442 cars but 19 W-30 cars. I have one and the data plate says 09D if my memory serves me right. Was there a shutdown on 71 for a 72 change over since the cars are so similar?
Old March 8th, 2012 | 12:18 PM

Isn't 09D Sept, 4th week?
Old March 8th, 2012 | 12:53 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by W30post
OK so it is well known that the first 10 W-30 cars came with red fender wells. About what month would that have been done with?

Any way to tell when the post coupe models were built? There were over 100 442 cars but 19 W-30 cars. I have one and the data plate says 09D if my memory serves me right. Was there a shutdown on 71 for a 72 change over since the cars are so similar?
Yes, there was still a changeover. I have some production figures by month for 72.
No W30s were made in Sept. Unfortunately, the figures I have are by series, so the Cutlass S Sports Coupes and Cutlass S Hardtop Coupes are lumped together.
Yes, we do have the final production broken down by model, so we know that there were 19 W30 Cutlass S Sports Coupes.
There were a total of 2 W30s made in July '72, and from the totals can tell that they were both Cutlass S Sports Coupes.
In September there were 37 total W30s made, 25 were a combination of Cutlass S Sports Coupes and Cutlass S Hardtop Coupes.
Old March 8th, 2012 | 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
Yes, there was still a changeover. I have some production figures by month for 72.
No W30s were made in Sept. Unfortunately, the figures I have are by series, so the Cutlass S Sports Coupes and Cutlass S Hardtop Coupes are lumped together.
Yes, we do have the final production broken down by model, so we know that there were 19 W30 Cutlass S Sports Coupes.
There were a total of 2 W30s made in July '72, and from the totals can tell that they were both Cutlass S Sports Coupes.
In September there were 37 total W30s made, 25 were a combination of Cutlass S Sports Coupes and Cutlass S Hardtop Coupes.
Do you mean none were built in Aug? If you don't mind me asking, how do you know the 2 in July were Sports coupes, but cannot tell what the 25 in Sept were broken down into. This is some interesting stuff... Any information on color vehicle for each one built? I know that would be one heck of a reach.

Great stuff. Keep the information coming..
Old March 8th, 2012 | 03:36 PM

I'll take a stab at this:

There were two Cutlass S bodystyles available with the 4-4-2 package. There was only one for the Cutlass. The number built with the 4-4-2 package was lumped by model, not by bodystyle.
Old March 8th, 2012 | 05:38 PM

Do you mean none were built in Aug? If you don't mind me asking, how do you know the 2 in July were Sports coupes, but cannot tell what the 25 in Sept were broken down into. This is some interesting stuff... Any information on color vehicle for each one built? I know that would be one heck of a reach.

Great stuff. Keep the information coming..
Ah, Grasshopper, ancient Chinese secret~

Yes, none were built in August.
The 2 July Sports Coupes come simply as a deduction. The report I have is production by month, but only though June. We know there were 19 total and as of June there were 17. The June report also shows the final 17 Cutlass Hardtop Coupes and final 113 Cutlass Supreme Convertibles. So the last 2 in July have to Cutlass S Sports Coupes. (My guess is that they squeezed 2 more out in July for stock class drag racing.)

There is a separate report for each month, with monthly and year to date totals. Compiled by series, so individual model numbers are not given. (Sometimes by default model figures can be deduced). The listing is by RPO option code. So you get the figures for one option only.
So you can't get numbers for any combinations of options.
regardless, this report does tell us quite a bit!
Old March 9th, 2012 | 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
Ah, Grasshopper, ancient Chinese secret~

Yes, none were built in August.
The 2 July Sports Coupes come simply as a deduction. The report I have is production by month, but only though June. We know there were 19 total and as of June there were 17. The June report also shows the final 17 Cutlass Hardtop Coupes and final 113 Cutlass Supreme Convertibles. So the last 2 in July have to Cutlass S Sports Coupes. (My guess is that they squeezed 2 more out in July for stock class drag racing.)

There is a separate report for each month, with monthly and year to date totals. Compiled by series, so individual model numbers are not given. (Sometimes by default model figures can be deduced). The listing is by RPO option code. So you get the figures for one option only.
So you can't get numbers for any combinations of options.
regardless, this report does tell us quite a bit!
Wait, 2 cars were built in July 71 or 72 then? I'm curious now if i have one of the first 27 or 25 cars. Either way this is interesting.
Old March 9th, 2012 | 06:47 AM

Wait, 2 cars were built in July 71 or 72 then? I'm curious now if i have one of the first 27 or 25 cars. Either way this is interesting.
That's 2 in July '72 at the end. Yours (if a Sept build) is definitely one of the first, but statistically it is lost in the in the middle of the first 25 Cutlass S posts and hardtops made in Sept.

There is also another point that needs to be considered. The date on the cowl is the production week of the *body* at Fisher Body. The actually "production date" as reflected on these reports are most likely staggered (forward) a few days *at least*. This means that if you have a body date of the last week in the month, it is possible that it has "production date" in the following month.
A small but important thing to know when researching.
My Jetstar 1 has a build date(?) of 11/2/64 on the Build Sheet. Not actually the build date, if you look carefully at the date box it says "Scheduled Date". The cowl tag date is 11B which is 11/8-11/14. So they were running behind schedule! Just trying to illustrate how this is not an exact science.

Email me and I'll send you the '72 W30 monthly production.
Old March 9th, 2012 | 08:10 AM

kurt, could you tell me how many 72 w30s were made in feb. mine is a hard top 4 speed. thanks, gary.
Old March 9th, 2012 | 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by 66trakpak
kurt, could you tell me how many 72 w30s were made in feb. mine is a hard top 4 speed. thanks, gary.
3 Cutlass Hardtop Coupes
72 Cutlass S Sport Coupes and Hardtop Coupes
8 Cutlass Supreme Convertibles
Old March 9th, 2012 | 05:11 PM

thanks for the info kurt