Determining 442 color/options rarity - 1971

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2011, 03:31 PM

Determining 442 color/options rarity - 1971

Where do I go for 442 information showing the numbers built with certain colors and options? I've owned GTO's and always had Pontiac Historical Society to break down numbers and even supply copies of original window stickers. I bought a '71 442 that is black with a blue interior. It is also a 4 speed car with factory A/C. I just can't recall another black w/blue interior combo. I have the original dealer invoice, but no window sticker. Is there any resource to show how many of models were ordered in these colors and with the 4 speed A/C options?
Old September 3rd, 2011, 05:53 PM
Trying to remember member

No. I can give you numbers for one option by series, but that's the only breakdown available.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 07:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

What Kurt said - sadly -.
Your paint code on the cowl tag should be 19 - ebony black. If the car came with Blue inside trim the TR (trim code) on the cowl tag (second line) could be one of these numbers (993, 973 or 983)

If you have a bucket seat 442 (Cutlass Supreme or Hardtop), most likely it's code 973
Old September 8th, 2011, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the info. My interior code on the data plate is 933. That corresponds with blue according to another decoding site I checked. I've verified the black exterior, blue interior is factory ordered, but I need some help finding out how many of these cars were built with that combo with 4 speed and A/C. Is it a 1 of 1 or 1 of 687 for example??? Any help? Thanks
Old September 8th, 2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Goat Cop
but I need some help finding out how many of these cars were built with that combo with 4 speed and A/C. Is it a 1 of 1 or 1 of 687 for example??? Any help? Thanks
Let's try this again: No, the that breakdown does not exist. It's not out there, period.
Old September 8th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Goat Cop
Thanks for the info. My interior code on the data plate is 933. .............Thanks
933 is a blue vinyl that was special to 442 strato bucket seat 442 models. That's all the help I can give you. The numbers you are looking for would likely be available if you had a Chev or Ponitac.

The only records that exist tell how many 442's were produced in a given year, what body styles they were, what power trains they could have, option list etc. In other words, here's how you could have built your car if you bought it new that year.

You'd think that Olds would have kept records, maybe they did up to a point. But it's not like todays production where you can tell from a computer scan of your VIN every detail about your car. The data base industry has come a long way since the 70s.

There are many of us Olds owners who wish we could have the information you are asking us about. In many cases, it's also just as rare to find a build sheet for an Oldsmobile. Lots of broadcast sheets, but only the occasional actual build sheet.
Old September 9th, 2011, 06:11 AM

GM did not break their models production numbers down by color or options. Certain private organizations like Pontiac Historical Society and Sloan Museum for Buicks have some data like that. Black with a Blue interior is certainly a beautiful combination though and I have only seen one other.

Last edited by mmurphy77; September 9th, 2011 at 06:14 AM.
Old September 9th, 2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
GM did not break their models production numbers down by color or options.
Yes, they certainly did. As I previously said, I have *some* numbers by option. And some other numbers were obtained years ago. But the vast majority of these breakdowns are no longer available.
Old September 9th, 2011, 03:39 PM

.... and that's the proper way to phrase it: the information is not available.

I'm still optimistic enough that I don't want to say the information doesn't exist.