Broadcast sheet help

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2013, 01:59 PM

Broadcast sheet help

How do you decifer the numbers and letters on a broadcast sheet. Also when the car shows the two slashes for the paint code can it be any special order paint or is there a way to tell what it was from the factory. Thanks. Greg
Old November 7th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Lansing built

A broadcast card is just that a card #1
A buildsheet will tell you the whole story #2

Which one are we talking about?
And what year?

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
broadcast.jpg (20.9 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg
build sheet.jpg (62.9 KB, 99 views)
Old November 7th, 2013, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by 1970cs
A broadcast card is just that a card #1
A buildsheet will tell you the whole story #2

Which one are we talking about?
And what year?

Pat
The first one you posted. It's from a 1970 w-30. Auto, with air.
Old November 7th, 2013, 03:21 PM

Has numbered Box's. Box 7 says AU3. Box 9 says U80. Box 8 says C60. Then it has LWR 73. Top UPR IS B. Trim is 930. Box 3 says W30. Thanks for the help. Is there a book or wb site that tells all ??
Old November 7th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Lansing built

Try GMheritagecenter.com go to archives then vehicle info kits, then Oldsmobile tab find pg. 225 plus another 10 or so pages just match option codes.
Also wildaboutcars.com free to join and use!

Sorry I am on a tablet or I would normally post the links to each site plus I have printed pages of 1968-72 at my work for quick reference but none at where I am now.

FYI since it is a W30 only Lansing built, build sheets from there are rare as hens teeth.

Pat
Old November 7th, 2013, 11:05 PM

73 is "rally red"
B is black vinyl top
930 is black strato bucket seats
AU3 is ??
C60 is A/C
U80 is rear speaker
W30 is
Old November 7th, 2013, 11:10 PM

I just wanted 1 more post
Old November 8th, 2013, 05:15 AM
Lansing built

AU3=lock, side door electric

Pat
Old November 8th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Zr1bandit
HAlso when the car shows the two slashes for the paint code can it be any special order paint or is there a way to tell what it was from the factory. Thanks. Greg
Nope, it could have been any one of the special order colors available that year.
Old November 8th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Nope, it could have been any one of the special order colors available that year.
Actually Yes Joe. If the guy was lucky enough to find the actual Build sheet (not the broadcast card that was described) there would be a bypass code listed in box 107. It would also have the color listed and possibly a dupont paint code.
Old November 8th, 2013, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Actually Yes Joe. If the guy was lucky enough to find the actual Build sheet (not the broadcast card that was described) there would be a bypass code listed in box 107. It would also have the color listed and possibly a dupont paint code.
The sheet shows number 73 in the paint box. Also has the letter B in the box labeled UPR
Old November 8th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yes, the 73 B is covered by Hurst68's post. I was just commenting that IF the color was a - - (other than a known car like the 70 Rallye 350), the only way to really document that would be on the build sheet. I do have a cowl tag and corresponding build sheet for a 72 Cutlass S that was factory painted ebony black. And it has the - - on the tag since ebony black was extra cost. GM didn't paint any of their A bodies (even other brands) ebony black as a standard color that year.

A broadcast card will not have a bypass color code listed on it. I'm familiar with the card you're describing - it's the broadcast card. On the actual build sheet the color code would be somewhere around box 79 and would show the bypass colors in it. That color change would also be documented in box 107 (middle of the build sheet) under the listing of RPO options installed on the car.
Old November 9th, 2013, 06:11 AM

Yes, the 73 B is covered by Hurst68's post. I was just commenting that IF the color was a - - (other than a known car like the 70 Rallye 350), the only way to really document that would be on the build sheet. I do have a cowl tag and corresponding build sheet for a 72 Cutlass S that was factory painted ebony black. And it has the - - on the tag since ebony black was extra cost. GM didn't paint any of their A bodies (even other brands) ebony black as a standard color that year.

A broadcast card will not have a bypass color code listed on it. I'm familiar with the card you're describing - it's the broadcast card. On the actual build sheet the color code would be somewhere around box 79 and would show the bypass colors in it. That color change would also be documented in box 107 (middle of the build sheet) under the listing of RPO options installed on the car.
There's a box next to the paint numbers with a pointed top that has the letters PP in it. What would that be. ??
in it What would that be ??
Old November 9th, 2013, 07:22 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Could you post a picture of it?
Old November 9th, 2013, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Could you post a picture of it?
It's the same PP that's in the pic above on the yellow sheet of paper. You can see it in the upper right hand corner.
Old November 9th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I don't think it has any significance to the paint code if that's what you're asking. That number '2' appears in just about every broadcast card I've seen from 70 - 72. Case in point, my 72 Cutlass S is PNT 14 14 and has that 2 also. I've seen it on 442 and W30 car broadcast cars too.
Old November 9th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Yes, the paint code is on the build sheet. I ***-U-MEd that the question was "can you tell the original paint color from the -- on the cowl tag alone", which you cannot.
Old November 9th, 2013, 10:40 AM

I don't think it has any significance to the paint code if that's what you're asking. That number '2' appears in just about every broadcast card I've seen from 70 - 72. Case in point, my 72 Cutlass S is PNT 14 14 and has that 2 also. I've seen it on 442 and W30 car broadcast cars too.
Ok. Now do you match the broadcast card to the car. I don't see any numbers matching the vin number other than the 34487. Thanks. Greg
Old November 9th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

A broadcast card will not have a bypass color code listed on it.
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yes, the paint code is on the build sheet. I ***-U-MEd that the question was "can you tell the original paint color from the -- on the cowl tag alone", which you cannot.
We both agree on this. I didn't make that assumption you did though.
Old November 9th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Zr1bandit
Ok. Now do you match the broadcast card to the car. I don't see any numbers matching the vin number other than the 34487. Thanks. Greg
The broadcast card is a Fisher Body Works document. So is the Cowl tag. If you're looking to match up anything, the Cowl Tag will match up with the broadcast card. The VIN is not related to the broadcast card or cowl tag except for being mounted on the same car. You're not alone on this; a fair number of people seem to think the cowl tag has to match the VIN and that's not the case.

HOWEVER, the VIN can be used to match up components like the chassis and engine as they will have a VIN derivative stamped on them. What is a VIN derivative? It's the Brand/year/plant/serial number of the car. So your engine would have that on the engine stamping pad located to the front of the #1 cylinder and the frame would have it here
Old November 9th, 2013, 10:59 AM

The broadcast card is a Fisher Body Works document. So is the Cowl tag. If you're looking to match up anything, the Cowl Tag will match up with the broadcast card. The VIN is not related to the broadcast card or cowl tag except for being mounted on the same car. You're not alone on this; a fair number of people seem to think the cowl tag has to match the VIN and that's not the case.

HOWEVER, the VIN can be used to match up components like the chassis and engine as they will have a VIN derivative stamped on them. What is a VIN derivative? It's the Brand/year/plant/serial number of the car. So your engine would have that on the engine stamping pad located to the front of the #1 cylinder and the frame would have it here
Ok. Got it. Thanks. Again