Back on the Road Again!!!!

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2010, 07:19 PM

Back on the Road Again!!!!

Finally, got the Olds running again. The water pump went right after I bought the car back in August so used the down time to clean things up a little and just got it refired today! Been a great start to the New Year for me and I hope it has also been for everyone on this board! Thanks for all the inspiration provided by the members!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1020003.jpg (39.3 KB, 76 views)
P1020010.jpg (44.6 KB, 63 views)
P9270012.jpg (58.6 KB, 79 views)
PC270007.jpg (79.3 KB, 148 views)
P1020005.jpg (78.1 KB, 101 views)
Old January 1st, 2010, 07:33 PM

looks great,
Old January 1st, 2010, 07:54 PM

Looks almost like new! (sans the dirt on the carpet...) Great work - it really shows. Now to do some driving!
Now thats what I call a good start to the new year!! (I should have started mine up, too)...
I do know a little motivation goes a long way - now i need to get some of my own to get my interior continued...
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:46 AM

Nice, enjoy the h*ll out of it!
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:08 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by scott_442
Finally, got the Olds running again. The water pump went right after I bought the car back in August so used the down time to clean things up a little and just got it refired today! Been a great start to the New Year for me and I hope it has also been for everyone on this board! Thanks for all the inspiration provided by the members!
Scott,
You've done a fantastic job! Looks absolutely incredible. 2 things:
1. Beware of Cutlassgal (Sandy)...she may jump ship from Bluevista and want you to paint her engine now
2. Is your car a 72 with the W29 package? Looking at the trim and interior, it appears to be a 72. Probably a previous repaint took off any original decals. Any plans to "stripe" the side and hood? If you have a broadcast sheet, it will say if it's a W29. Check the usual spots, it's a great bit of documentation.

Another member here Richeyb just got his Cutlass S redone in what looks like the same color. IMO the code 46 Sequoia Green is a great color especially in the sun.

What gears do you have in that monster? I'm betting either 3:23 or 3:42. Should melt some rubber pretty easy. These cars are a dream to drive.
Old January 4th, 2010, 04:47 AM

Thanks for the comments...I do have the build sheet for the car and it is a 72 W29 optioned sequoia green Freemont built car. However, the 455 is not original to the car but it is a correct 72 block (32M). It was originally a 350 car. The good part of that is that I paid about 1/2 the cost of an all original numbers matching car and it frees me up to add other non-original components like a hood and spoiler without losing sleep over it. As for the stripes, I've been thinking about having them put back on. I was quoted $1000 to have them repainted but that seems really high. Someone also mentioned to me about having them made in vinyl although I don't even know if that's possible. Also, I'm not even sure what color would be best. The build sheet shows the stripe package but not the stipe color. I'm guessing they were probably white but not sure about that. Could have also been black I suppose. Always more to do...and I would probably jump at the chance to help out Sandy...she seems like a neat person and any woman that gets a new bumper for Christmas is cool with me.

Last edited by scott_442; January 4th, 2010 at 04:51 AM.
Old January 4th, 2010, 05:18 AM

Someone also mentioned to me about having them made in vinyl although I don't even know if that's possible. Also, I'm not even sure what color would be best. The build sheet shows the stripe package but not the stipe color. I'm guessing they were probably white but not sure about that. Could have also been black I suppose.
Fusicks has the hood stripe decal kits in black or white for I think 200 or so. I have been thinking about adding the black ones but I think saddle brown (was available in 72) would look better.
Old January 4th, 2010, 07:57 AM

It's the side stripes that aren't available to my knowledge. I think the W30 stripes are available but not the thinner 442 stripes. If anybody has a source for those I would love to know it...thanks.
Old January 6th, 2010, 03:42 PM

how far down did you take it before repainting the block and heads looks like a nice job
Old January 6th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Cutlass Lover

Thanks for the comments...I do have the build sheet for the car and it is a 72 W29 optioned sequoia green Freemont built car. However, the 455 is not original to the car but it is a correct 72 block (32M). It was originally a 350 car. The good part of that is that I paid about 1/2 the cost of an all original numbers matching car and it frees me up to add other non-original components like a hood and spoiler without losing sleep over it. As for the stripes, I've been thinking about having them put back on. I was quoted $1000 to have them repainted but that seems really high. Someone also mentioned to me about having them made in vinyl although I don't even know if that's possible. Also, I'm not even sure what color would be best. The build sheet shows the stripe package but not the stipe color. I'm guessing they were probably white but not sure about that. Could have also been black I suppose. Always more to do...and I would probably jump at the chance to help out Sandy...she seems like a neat person and any woman that gets a new bumper for Christmas is cool with me.
Well thank you for the compliment!! Your engine is really beautiful!!! I love the color!!! Is the brake booster gold? I can't really tell. I want my booster painted too... if Bluevista will do it for me! I am going to buy that gold paint kit from Eastwood for it. Beautiful job.

The car looks great! You've done a nice job. I like the color a lot. Mine was made in Fremont too!! Maybe they know each other!

I'll let you know when we have our engine paintin party!!!! I'm sure Bluevista wouldn't mind the help from someone who knows what they're doing,... in his garage... no girls allowed!!
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:09 PM
GM Enthusiast

Nice car. Try www.phoenixgraphix.com. They make stripe and stencil kits for many cars, including Oldsmobiles. Check with them because I believe they also will do custom work if you give them the dimensions of the decal you want made. Hope that helps.
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Official Tire Kicker

Really nice car!
Old January 8th, 2010, 08:54 AM

Very nice job, cool touch painting the Edelbrock manifold.
I like the paint, is it out of a rattle can, or did you have it mixed?
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:37 AM

Got the paint at Tamraz Parts http://www.tamrazsparts.com/product_...f71069a645395a . According to the site, it's their best selling item...hmmm, seems odd that a can of paint would be their best selling item but I'm happy with it . I know they sell a lot of Olds parts. Anybody else have experience with Tamraz? I think they even sell OAI hoods.