Anyone know how to re-key a lock????

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2010, 03:13 PM

Anyone know how to re-key a lock????

Hi Guys,

Ok, the locks on my 70 are all messed up. Seems everyone needs it's own key. Can't even find a key to fit my trunk. I see people sell sets on Ebay ranging from one key to fit all locks on the car (Ignition, Doors, Trunk, Console, and Glove Box) to an individual key for every lock. And there are sets for almost every combo available. But none of these sets use the correck "J" and "K" keys for 1970. I know I'm being ****.......but I like correct. My bad.

So since I have locks that accept "J" and "K" keys.....does anyone know how to change the pin settings on the locks so I can change them to the two keys I want to use......and be like every other normal 70 Olds owner? I'm thinking it has to be able to be done....the factory did it. Just don't know anything about locks.

Anybody played with this before????

thanks,
bob
Old October 27th, 2010, 04:14 PM

you could try to do it yourself, but your local locksmith and make them all match for probably 5-10 bucks for each lock
Old October 27th, 2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by bobb
Hi Guys,

Ok, the locks on my 70 are all messed up. Seems everyone needs it's own key. Can't even find a key to fit my trunk. I see people sell sets on Ebay ranging from one key to fit all locks on the car (Ignition, Doors, Trunk, Console, and Glove Box) to an individual key for every lock. And there are sets for almost every combo available. But none of these sets use the correck "J" and "K" keys for 1970. I know I'm being ****.......but I like correct. My bad.

So since I have locks that accept "J" and "K" keys.....does anyone know how to change the pin settings on the locks so I can change them to the two keys I want to use......and be like every other normal 70 Olds owner? I'm thinking it has to be able to be done....the factory did it. Just don't know anything about locks.

Anybody played with this before????

thanks,
bob
You will need to buy tumbler blanks. Then file them to fit the key. After you spent the time and money to do that, you have already paid a locksmith that has the stuff on his truck.

John
Old October 27th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Registered

The Fisher Body service manual explains in detail how to fit the lock tumblers to the key.
You would probably have to get some tumblers, in my '71 manual it says there are five different tumblers coded from 1-5 stamped on the side, or just get the biggest ones and file the notch out as said.
Probably would be easier to go to a locksmith, cheaper if they want some stupid price for tumblers too, but that's no fun.
Old October 27th, 2010, 06:09 PM

Hi Guys,

Good info...thanks. I don't really think a locksmith will even look at my locks for $5 a lock today.......but I will talk to one locally and see how bad is bad.

Blue.....you were right....the Fisher Body manual tells exactly how to do it! Seems a bit daunting from the description, but once tried I'd bet it's not so bad. But I doubt I could get tumbler blanks anywhere.

thanks guys,
bob
Old October 27th, 2010, 08:43 PM

Check with a locksmith - those blanks have been the same for a long long time!
I used to do them, wayyy back, but we had a plastic box at Nickey with all the blanks, springs, hold down clips, etc. making it much easier!
A good G.M. Partsman might know how to do it - call around!
Old October 28th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Randy C.

The ignition and door locks should work with the same (square "J") key, while the glove box and trunk should work with the other (round "K") key.

Randy C.