Any help with my tag?

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2010, 03:24 PM

Any help with my tag?

in case you can't make out the photo:

General Motors Corporation
068 (there is a 1 stamped here slightly above to the right of the 6 below)
ST 67-33867 BF 00576 Body
TR 980 2 Paint
B80
J53406 140736
Body by Fischer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cowl tag.jpg (55.4 KB, 29 views)
Old August 16th, 2010, 09:36 PM

a little more info

If you are replying to this you probably know this already but I am looking for someone that knows how to decipher the tag. 67-33867...67-means it's a 1967 the 867 means its a 442 convertable. BF 00576 is the build number of all olds from the BF (Cali) plant but it's strange because I have heard it started at 10010 but there is a superscript 1 stamped above and after the 6 in the "00576" and the Panit Code 2 tells you the color. Problem is I have no idea what a 2 means for orginal because all I can find is paint codes that use Alpha nomenclature. Thus I think it may have been a custom color. The TR is about the trim and seats etc...
So anyone know how to help me figure out the orginal color? I have restored everything else but can't beleive the "plum crazy" color my car is would be the stock color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
convert.jpg (71.7 KB, 17 views)
Old August 17th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by clubho
If you are replying to this you probably know this already but I am looking for someone that knows how to decipher the tag. 67-33867...67-means it's a 1967 the 867 means its a 442 convertable. BF 00576 is the build number of all olds from the BF (Cali) plant but it's strange because I have heard it started at 10010 but there is a superscript 1 stamped above and after the 6 in the "00576" and the Panit Code 2 tells you the color. Problem is I have no idea what a 2 means for orginal because all I can find is paint codes that use Alpha nomenclature. Thus I think it may have been a custom color. The TR is about the trim and seats etc...
So anyone know how to help me figure out the orginal color? I have restored everything else but can't beleive the "plum crazy" color my car is would be the stock color.
Well, you're hijacked the thread. I hope the moderators can and will move your posts into a new thread.
1. 3867 does not mean it is a 442. One cannot tell if it is a 442 from the cowl tag of a Fremont built car. 3867 means that it is a Cutlass Supreme Convertible. The 442 was an option in '67, and *could* be on a Cutlass Supreme Convertible.
2. I believe what you heard applies to the VIN, not the body unit number of 00576 that you refer to.
3. Yes, the (lack of) paint code is a puzzle. Should have a letter before the 2, which should indicate a black top. But the lack of the letter does not necessarily indicate a custom color. Though highly unusual, mistake are made on the plates. Usually there was a "-" for a custom color as opposed to an omission. But Fremont did some strange things, so who know. I doubt the plum is original even it it had a custom color. I'd look under the weather stripping and and inside door panel and every other nook and cranny to find some original paint.
Old August 17th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wmachine
Well, you're hijacked the thread. I hope the moderators can and will move your posts into a new thread.
Done
Old August 17th, 2010, 12:32 PM

Sorry and thank you

Originally Posted by wmachine
1. 3867 does not mean it is a 442. One cannot tell if it is a 442 from the cowl tag of a Fremont built car. 3867 means that it is a Cutlass Supreme Convertible. The 442 was an option in '67, and *could* be on a Cutlass Supreme Convertible.
2. I believe what you heard applies to the VIN, not the body unit number of 00576 that you refer to.
3. Yes, the (lack of) paint code is a puzzle. Should have a letter before the 2, which should indicate a black top. But the lack of the letter does not necessarily indicate a custom color. Though highly unusual, mistake are made on the plates. Usually there was a "-" for a custom color as opposed to an omission. But Fremont did some strange things, so who know. I doubt the plum is original even it it had a custom color. I'd look under the weather stripping and and inside door panel and every other nook and cranny to find some original paint.
Sorry and thank you. I have a CTSV and in that for forum they want similar questions in the same thread. I don't like it becuause it feels like a lot of times the questions are lost.

The car was a two owner when I boght it 9 years ago with about 55k on it. the only thing "restored" was the paint. Over the years I've done the motor, trans, wiring, and minor interior fixes as the seats and doors don't need it. I took everthing out two winters ago so I could replace the faded carpeting and fix the wiring for the power split bench seat, but I did not find any other color other than one tiny spot where it looked a touch less purple (sort of reddish purple). I'm thinking if I could figure out the real color it would be a good idea to go that route in the future. Also, you are correct it does have a black top.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by clubho
Sorry and thank you. I have a CTSV and in that for forum they want similar questions in the same thread. I don't like it becuause it feels like a lot of times the questions are lost.

The car was a two owner when I boght it 9 years ago with about 55k on it. the only thing "restored" was the paint. Over the years I've done the motor, trans, wiring, and minor interior fixes as the seats and doors don't need it. I took everthing out two winters ago so I could replace the faded carpeting and fix the wiring for the power split bench seat, but I did not find any other color other than one tiny spot where it looked a touch less purple (sort of reddish purple). I'm thinking if I could figure out the real color it would be a good idea to go that route in the future. Also, you are correct it does have a black top.
so all that said any other idea on how to figure out what the orginal color was?