71 glove box lamp

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2009, 05:08 AM

71 glove box lamp

I was wondering if anybody could tell me if the glove box lamp should be exposed when you open the glove box door. The lamp that I have has one side painted black. I thought this was done from the previous owner when he switched the interior from pearl to black. I purchased a second glove box lamp and noticed that the back side is also painted black. The assembly manual shows the lamp being installed with what would be the black painted face toward the glove box side which doesn't make sense. I assumed that they blacked out the one side of the lamp so that the light did not reflect light inside the back side of the dash.

Dave
Old November 7th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Registered

It shouldn't be exposed. The black part goes down, the light gets tucked up into the hole in the glove box top.
Don't feel bad, I had mine in upside down with the bulb facing out until I read this and looked at the assembly manual.
I just went out to the garage and fixed it, nice soft glow in there when you open the door now.
Old November 8th, 2009, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
It shouldn't be exposed. The black part goes down, the light gets tucked up into the hole in the glove box top.
Don't feel bad, I had mine in upside down with the bulb facing out until I read this and looked at the assembly manual.
I just went out to the garage and fixed it, nice soft glow in there when you open the door now.
Thanks for the heads up. The reason I posted is because I just happen to come across a NOS glove box lamp that looked to be white, not blacked out. Like everything else that that has been installed during the restoration, I will take it out and do it again.

Thanks Dave