70 442 Bumpers

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2012, 02:11 PM

70 442 Bumpers

Quick question; Which of the suppliers of reproduction bumpers has the best quality of product?
Thanks
Old July 21st, 2012, 12:02 PM

I have bee told by many Oldsmobile people both Brothers and Fusick were really good choices and specialize in oldsmobile but no personal experience with them.
Old July 21st, 2012, 12:38 PM

It would be my guess that all the parts houses get the SAME parts. I doubt if more than one supplier makes the aftermarket bumpers. I could be wrong, but realistically it makes sense since there are less Oldsmobiles to be restored than say Chevelles, Camaros, Mustangs, etc.
I have used the aftermarket '71-'72 front and rear that Fusick sells, and for the money they aren't bad. I have also used the aftermarket front for a '70 with the same results.
Old July 21st, 2012, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the input.
Old July 21st, 2012, 02:38 PM

I've heard that the reproduction bumpers aren't as thick as original bumpers and have seen for myself fairly new repro bumpers that have started to rust. Like, within a couple years.

I'd rechrome my original or get a good original core and have it rechromed.
Old July 21st, 2012, 03:57 PM

The aftermarket bumpers are in fact a thinner grade of steel, however I find them acceptable for most applications. If I was building a car where price was of no concern, or a signficant "W" car then, yes, by all means I'd say get an original and have it refurbished. The price of the aftermarket pieces are in line with the quality and some of the parts houses run sale specials. You might also check ebay for the aftermarket items; the prices are sometimes cheaper.
I will say this: I have a set on a car that has been finished for going on two years and they still look perfect; great shine, great fit, and I'm happy with them overall. This is a frame-off car that has some other aftermarket items that were purchased from Fusick's and a Fiberglass Concepts hood. I kinda had a "budget" in mind building this car and N.O.S. wasn't in the formula. I've had originals rechromed in the past and within months the chrome turned colors and peeled---they were done by a traveling bumper outfit from California (I'd rather NOT name them).
Old July 21st, 2012, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
I've had originals rechromed in the past and within months the chrome turned colors and peeled---they were done by a traveling bumper outfit from California (I'd rather NOT name them).
That is always a possiblilty. That's when you post a post like this and ask, "Who has the best rep for rechroming?"
I had mine rechromed by Tri City Replating in Elizabethton, TN for $275 and $345 front/rear. This was in 1999 and the bumpers still look brand new. However, the car is kept inside and under a cover 99.9% of the time and only driven on nice days when it is out. Still, 13 years for rechromed bumpers is pretty good to me.

I understand that this was a long time ago so the price will likely be more now not to mention, there's no guarantee that the quality is now what it was then. Just saying that if anyone was considering rechroming, a post like this one would be a good idea in order to get more up to date oppinions/experiences.