69 442 trunk stripes

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2014, 06:46 PM

69 442 trunk stripes

Quick question(s)- Should a 69 442 have the horizontal pin stripes across the trunk deck and around the tail lamp bezels?

If so, I assume they would be the same type that are around the hood domes?

Car is silver with blue interior and has the hood dome stripes, but none on the rear.

Thanks,

Lane
Old September 24th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Randy C.

I BELIEVE...not know...but BELIEVE...the stripe across the trunk lid should be there if you have either the W42 (hood special painting) or Y73 (hood paint stripe) options...need to see some follow-on answers to be absolutely sure, though.

Randy C.
Old September 24th, 2014, 08:25 PM

Far as I know...ALL 69 442 had the dual stripe across the trunk lid and a single stripe around the bezels. I don't know if you got a stripe delete...maybe they deleted it. The factory blueprints show that dual stripe as being wider than the hood stripes...at least at the bottom of the trunk lid. Ok...that's what I know. Now...I HAVE seen more than 1 original 442 with a different dual stripe on the trunk. The cars I've seen like that seem to always be W-30 or W-32 cars. The cars were hand-striped, I don't know...but it seems like the special cars were striped differently by the workers. It's interesting, because from the rear you would have no way to know a W car from a 442...but with a different stripe you could tell. Who knows? BTW, ALL 442's should have a chrome molding at the bottom edge of the trunk. Very common to see those and/or the stripes missing. Fusick had a very nice detail shot of the striping on the rear of my car a few years ago. I'll see if I can find it + scan it.

Last edited by mrolds69; September 24th, 2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old September 24th, 2014, 08:59 PM

not all 69 442's had the dual stripe across trunk. seen some w-cars w it

Dimentions: The stripe is .40" wide along the bottom of the deck lid and .56" above the lower edge of the deck moulding (moulding missing in photo below). The stripe is .20 around the tail lamp opening on both the trunk and the quarter panel and .12 from the edge of the tail lamp opening.

Original factory paint

Old September 24th, 2014, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by 69fourspeed
Quick question(s)- Should a 69 442 have the horizontal pin stripes across the trunk deck and around the tail lamp bezels?

If so, I assume they would be the same type that are around the hood domes?

Car is silver with blue interior and has the hood dome stripes, but none on the rear.

Thanks,

Lane

the trunk stripe is wider as shown below
this and the y73 stripe were standard on 69 442's
the w42 which is the wide stripes on hood was an option

many 69's out there w re-paints that don't have trunk and or y73 striping.
Old September 25th, 2014, 07:08 AM

Actually Dean is right, I apologize for the confusion. The truth is, I lost interest in my 442 for a number of reasons and it's in storage now. It should have said a single wide stripe over the mldg (and a more narrow stripe over the bezels like Dean's pic). That's how my car is on Fusick's rear cover. That said...what I said about the dual stripe IS definitely true. I've seen a different double stripe on original cars, and it's always been W cars.
Old September 25th, 2014, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by mrolds69
Actually Dean is right, I apologize for the confusion. The truth is, I lost interest in my 442 for a number of reasons and it's in storage now. It should have said a single wide stripe over the mldg (and a more narrow stripe over the bezels like Dean's pic). That's how my car is on Fusick's rear cover. That said...what I said about the dual stripe IS definitely true. I've seen a different double stripe on original cars, and it's always been W cars.
I as well have seen w cars w the dual trunk stripes and without.
So I guess a good question is was the double stripe the standard feature on w cars? I honestly don't know anyone??????
Old September 25th, 2014, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by dnmfranco
I as well have seen w cars w the dual trunk stripes and without.
So I guess a good question is was the double stripe the standard feature on w cars? I honestly don't know anyone??????
Interesting and very helpful information provided by all and I definitely appreciate it. Have to say that I am still confused though. It seems that it would have had trunk pin stripes since it has hood pin stripes but who knows since it is obviously a repaint?

Car is a 442 Holiday Coupe and was made 2nd week of April 69 in Freemont CA. It has the protecto-plate and a ton of maintenance documentation going all the way back to 69, but no build or broadcast sheet. Does the y73 code only show up on the broadcast sheet or is there some other way to determine?
Old September 25th, 2014, 06:35 PM

no the y73 would not show because it was standard issue on 442's in 69
yes the trunk pin stripes should be there but many were omitted during repaints
Old September 25th, 2014, 06:48 PM

This is an original paint 69 442 convertible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_7123.jpg (117.2 KB, 92 views)
100_7126.jpg (63.0 KB, 95 views)
100_7127.jpg (43.0 KB, 95 views)
Old September 25th, 2014, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
This is an original paint 69 442 convertible.
that be correct
convert w red gut right? was this car for sell some time ago ?
Old September 26th, 2014, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by dnmfranco
that be correct
convert w red gut right? was this car for sell some time ago ?
Yes, A friend of mine had it handed down to him. His dad bought it new and almost never drove it. low mile, original car. He moved to Georgia and sold it down there.
Old September 26th, 2014, 05:47 AM

Here is another original paint, standard 442 with the double stripe.
Attached Images
DSCF4229.jpg (82.9 KB, 95 views)
Old September 26th, 2014, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by 69442murph
Here is another original paint, standard 442 with the double stripe.

Tim so is it possible it was left to the buyer to choose a single stripe or double or rather went the worker felt like doing that day?
Old September 26th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Trying to remember member

From everything I can gather, the double stripe was an ad hock unofficial addition to the W30 cars. *Highly* unusual occurrence and very rare that anything like that would be done. But there is lots of evidence that it was done. I have no documentation for that, though. The single paint paint stripe is shown (and dimensioned) in the assembly manual and there is no reference to any double stripe, and the revisions were well into W30 production date-wise. So being that it was unofficial, there is a high probability that some got them and some didn't and there could easily be some variation to the stripes.
Since there is apparently no documentation to the double stripe, it would be nice to gather as much evidence as possible to record its existence.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Pages from 69_Sec_0.pdf (53.6 KB, 39 views)
Old September 26th, 2014, 06:54 AM

Let me say thanks again to all of you. Awesome information provided and now I have much better insight on what I want to do with the deck lid striping. Definitely appreciate the info!
Old September 26th, 2014, 08:06 AM

Here is a picture of the trunk stripe on my original paint 69 W30.
Sam

DSC01980.jpg
Old September 26th, 2014, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
From everything I can gather, the double stripe was an ad hock unofficial addition to the W30 cars. *Highly* unusual occurrence and very rare that anything like that would be done. But there is lots of evidence that it was done. I have no documentation for that, though. The single paint paint stripe is shown (and dimensioned) in the assembly manual and there is no reference to any double stripe, and the revisions were well into W30 production date-wise. So being that it was unofficial, there is a high probability that some got them and some didn't and there could easily be some variation to the stripes.
Since there is apparently no documentation to the double stripe, it would be nice to gather as much evidence as possible to record its existence.
that would make sense as I have never seen a 442 (non W car) w the double stripes