'66 442 Engine Code

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2012, 04:08 PM

'66 442 Engine Code

What two letter code is for a '66 442 L-69 & should the letters be red or black? Thanks
Old September 30th, 2012, 04:57 PM

The ID is stamped on the front of the Pass side head. There is a cap 'V' followed by a 6 digit number then a cap 'T'.
Old October 1st, 2012, 03:45 AM

Just to clarify, I meant the two letter sticker that goes on the oil fill tube.
Old October 1st, 2012, 04:31 AM
Trying to remember member

The engine codes are in the engine section of the 1966 Assembly Manual, available free of charge at Wild About Cars:
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...aldisplayed=50

Wild About Cars. http://wildaboutcars.com. An information supersource, especially Oldsmobile. More Olds content than anywhere else on the internet and continuing to grow.
You'll find Chassis Service Manuals, Product Information Manuals (AKA Assembly Manuals), Inspector's Manuals, and other documents that will contain this and much much more.
Dealer Brochures, magazine ads and articles, and a home page for you online with your own garage where you can show off what you have.
Free to join, free to learn.
Old October 1st, 2012, 05:43 AM

That oil fill decal is one sticker that Ive yet to see, as installed by Olds. Anyone out there have a photo or an original sticker?

Ive been seeing guys using a new design with black letters and a number code. But by far the red letter design is what the majority use.
Old October 1st, 2012, 06:49 AM

'68 & later take the black ones with numbers and letters, but I'm not sure about the '66 442's.
Old October 1st, 2012, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by TK-65
That oil fill decal is one sticker that Ive yet to see, as installed by Olds. Anyone out there have a photo or an original sticker?

Ive been seeing guys using a new design with black letters and a number code. But by far the red letter design is what the majority use.
Originally Posted by tkw31
'68 & later take the black ones with numbers and letters, but I'm not sure about the '66 442's.
Guys, if you would just go where I'm sending you, you'll see the codes and the tape details including the color. ????
Old October 1st, 2012, 07:56 AM
45 yrs of Olds Nuttiness

Since none of you will go where Kurt told you to do. I'll give you the info "QZ" and according to the assembly manual "Red letters on white background"

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe..._5-Group_6.pdf PAGE 15

Mark Cornea (Dr. Decal) can sell you this tape (the Right one) for $4.95 http://www.drdecal.com/viewitem.php?productid=315
Old October 1st, 2012, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
Guys, if you would just go where I'm sending you, you'll see the codes and the tape details including the color. ????
Thus why I asked if anyone has an original or photo of an original. I have the assembly manuals and have read the details, but I have never seen an actual sticker applied by Olds.

And it doesnt answer the question I asked, every year I clicked on shows red on white. And Ive seen cars with black on white repro stickers with number codes. Im going to guess that red on white is correct but Id like to know if someone has proof of this.

Last edited by TK-65; October 1st, 2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old October 1st, 2012, 08:24 AM
45 yrs of Olds Nuttiness

Er, you are saying that Olds lied in the assembly manual - the one relased by Olds engineeering in 1966?

And if you wanted a picture- the link I cited will take you to a picture of one - albeit a reproduction, but why would anyone tell you a story??? Your response is confusing.
Old October 1st, 2012, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by jrzybob442
Er, you are saying that Olds lied in the assembly manual - the one relased by Olds engineeering in 1966?

And if you wanted a picture- the link I cited will take you to a picture of one - albeit a reproduction, but why would anyone tell you a story??? Your response is confusing.
How is it confusing? Im asking if anyone has a "real" example of this decal. Simple as that.

Not everything in the ***. manuals is true or even in there. I have a deluxe radio, transistorized, made by Olds, installed in 65s and is not in any Olds lit or assembly manual. And the dash it was installed in is no where to be found too.
Old October 1st, 2012, 08:34 AM
45 yrs of Olds Nuttiness

Jasen - I think you are just being difficult - biting the hand, so to speak.

I doubt you are going to find a "real" version of this decal as in 45 years, I doubt any have survived. If you find one, let me know.

As to your radio . . . I'd love to see that. What is the Delco PN on the side of it?
Old October 1st, 2012, 08:47 AM

I'm at work & don't have access to any of my photos, only using my phone, but I'll post a couple pictures later of the black decal that was still on our old '72 442 that had 4,000 miles on it & was an untouched original car. I'm sure I've seen them on '68 thru ?????
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by TK-65
.......... but I have never seen an actual sticker applied by Olds.
You have now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1966 Tri-Carb 3.jpg (100.6 KB, 47 views)
Old October 1st, 2012, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by jrzybob442
Jasen - I think you are just being difficult - biting the hand, so to speak.

I doubt you are going to find a "real" version of this decal as in 45 years, I doubt any have survived. If you find one, let me know.

As to your radio . . . I'd love to see that. What is the Delco PN on the side of it?

Biting what hand? Ive had that manual for 65s on a CD for a long time. Way before it was posted on your site. So its not the first time Ive read it.

My original question was who has an original example, since Ive never seen one and Kurts black and white picture doesnt add much to the discussion. I see the decal but what exactly does it say? Two letter code? PN number? Id like to know.

I have a bag of original tags at home, springs, steering column, etc. And a new one I found last week. And its not in the manual.
Old October 1st, 2012, 03:35 PM

Having issues uploading pictures..... picture is the oil fill tube engine code decal as it was affixed to the oil fill tube on our old '72 442, 455 / auto, in Saddle Bronze that we had a couple years ago. (note the lack of paint on the eng & especially the tube) It's now in a gentleman's low mileage collection on the east coast. It had 4,701.1 miles on it when we sold it. This was the original tag that was on the oil fill tube. I have been reproducing these for several years, as it's not the first one like this that I've seen. I'm not familiar with the pre-68 cars. Hope this helps clear things up. Thanks for the original '66 pic! Wish I could see the decal in more detail ;-)
Attached Images
DSC02300 2.jpg (51.4 KB, 39 views)
Old October 1st, 2012, 03:43 PM

more pics.......
Attached Images
DSC02300.jpg (46.6 KB, 26 views)
DSC02302.jpg (46.3 KB, 33 views)
Old October 1st, 2012, 05:37 PM

Thanks, now we know that there were other stickers besides the red/white ones called for in the assembly manual. The 72 manual does state red on white.

Id like to see some from 65-67.

Last edited by TK-65; October 1st, 2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:52 AM
Lance

Originally Posted by tkw31
This was the original tag that was on the oil fill tube. I have been reproducing these for several years, as it's not the first one like this that I've seen.
Are you still reproducing these decals?
Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:08 AM
"me somebody" site member

I tried the WAC link, and my access was denied (I did log in successfully)...

Regardless, sounds like we have:

1. A B+W factory photo showing such a sticker installed
2. Factory literature indicating the color was red on white.

What we don't have is a vintage color photo from the 60s, clearly showing the sticker on a 66 442. Better get a time machine if skepticism requires that level of proof.

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; October 2nd, 2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
I tried the WAC link, and my access was denied (I did log in successfully)...

Regardless, sounds like we have:

1. A B+W factory photo showing such a sticker installed
2. Factory literature indicating the color was red on white.

What we don't have is a vintage color photo from the 60s, clearly showing the sticker on a 66 442. Better get a time machine if skepticism requires that level of proof.
Curiosity, thats all.

Apparently Olds "lied" in their 72 manual because only red/white decals are supposed to exist. Olds lied in the 65 manual too, only one pie pan is supposed to exist for the 442 air cleaner. But they made two different ones.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:45 AM

Can't prove its an original vintage photo, but the letters on this '67 sure don't look black to me, rather exactly like what red would show up as in a B+W photo. I wonder if the absolute unquestionable proof you seem to require to satisfy your curiosity exists, if indeed what you are suggesting is that every restored car has used repro. decals that are based on a "lie".

Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:20 AM

Go back and read my posts and tell me where I said that the current decals are lies and incorrect? I asked if someone had an original sticker because I have seen different ones used besides what is currently sold. I get call out for biting the hand and being difficult, then someone posts the exact thing I was asking about.

From now on Im keeping my questions to myself.

BTW, I am a fraud because I have the red decal on my car. Even replaced it once with another red decal.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:24 AM

Whoa, you used the term lied yourself above. As I re-read it now, first usage was in "quotes", and perhaps you were responding with tongie in cheek to someone else's first use of that term. I was scouring the net myself for photos to see if I could fins something probative. I guess I'll stop now. Yeesh.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
Whoa, you used the term lied yourself above. As I re-read it now, first usage was in "quotes", and perhaps you were responding with tongie in cheek to someone else's first use of that term. I was scouring the net myself for photos to see if I could fins something probative. I guess I'll stop now. Yeesh.
From Big Bad Bob....