1970 cutlass dual gate conversion

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2020, 07:03 AM

1970 cutlass dual gate conversion

Hello thinking about installing a dual gate shifter in my 70 cutlass has a factory auto floor shifter and console in it now.I know the console got to be trimmed and the neutral saftey switch is different from a plain floor shifter,but what other snags will i encounter? Any of you guys did this before? any and all help would be appreciated thanks
Old August 3rd, 2020, 07:11 AM

The shifter itself is pretty straightforward.
Trim the console then mock up the shifter and console. You'll want to check alignment of everything a few times *before* drilling the holes for the brackets. The console ends up bolting to the shifter (via the top plate), so the alignment needs to be spot-on. The lockout plate can get in the way, so have it in the "locked" position while installing stuff. Getting the top plate + console + shifter all installed is a big of a jigsaw, so practice on the bench.
The neutral switch is the major PITA. I haven't found a vendor that actually has all the right parts in one place, so you have to gather up all the little brackets, arms, levers and pins, and either find an actual dual gate switch or butcher a standard switch. Several places that advertise and sell dual gate switches will ship you a standard switch. Which doesn't fit.
Once you get it actually on, then you get to spend a hilarious amount of time adjusting it and making sure it actually works.

Old August 3rd, 2020, 05:37 PM

Thank you.
Old August 3rd, 2020, 06:19 PM

I did it to my 70 Cutlass. I converted from a column shifter to a dual gate. When I took off the seats and the carpet, the hump has dimples where you can place the dual gate shifter and line up the dimples. There's also a place where the shifter cable can go thru the floor. You're going to need a 2 piece wire harness that does connects behind the dash to the neutral safety switch, lights for the shifter and the console light. You can buy the wire harness or buy it used. Make sure the shifter cable is for the dual gate. Its a different length. Also, make sure the back drive linkage is in a good working order. If not, you can stretch out the holes on the shifter, then you're going to have a lot of play. You may have to adjust the shifter bracket on the transmission. Its all trial and error so be patient. Good luck.
Old August 3rd, 2020, 06:54 PM

I did this conversion on my 1972 Cutlass. I did all kinds of research and preparation, but in the end it was a simple conversion. Two of the same holes in the floor are used for mounting both the standard shifter and the dual gate. Trimming the console had me nervous but when you are done you can't even see it!!! t's a nice conversion and you will love how the dual gate sits closer to the driver's seat and your leg. 1970 just brings in the separate neutral safety switch into the plan.

Good luck. I did attach a couple of helpful documents.

Cutting guide

Just a photo showing the trimmed console

Not my car, but a shot of how is sits on the floor. Two of these bolts are threaded into existing holes.

Good Luck!

Rick
Old August 9th, 2020, 01:38 PM

thanks