1969 442 chrome trim

Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:55 PM
olds..older..oldest

1969 442 chrome trim

Have seen a lot of the 69's with ?chrome trim running along the top edges of the front fenders.My 69 442 post coupe arrived from Virginia without it.] Was this the standard trim on these cars or an option?Is my ride running around "half dressed" ? Can't say I would want it as the car looks very clean as is ,but as the rest of the car is all original[repaint 3 years ago by last owner] I want to have her as she left Lansing.Lots of 69er's here,so please chip in with comments....Derek
Old July 24th, 2009, 03:55 AM

Optional equipment,.
Either B-80, B-84 or B-85 code.
Old July 24th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by 4fortwo
Optional equipment,.
Either B-80, B-84 or B-85 code.
Uh, actually none of the above.
It is the "fender peak" molding.
Standard on all 442 models and all Cutlass S models.
Not available on any other models.
Old July 25th, 2009, 03:25 AM

Thanks W

That one had me scratching my head also

What the heck is ?

B80 drip scalp molding
B84 body side molding
B85 belt moldings
Old July 25th, 2009, 04:23 AM

B80 is the molding on the roof drip rails

B85 is the molding on top of each door and quarter window
Old July 25th, 2009, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
Uh, actually none of the above.
It is the "fender peak" molding.
Standard on all 442 models and all Cutlass S models.
Not available on any other models.

Sorry, I took a shot
Old July 25th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Alb

When I ordered my 69 cutlass s. The crome was an option. I was told by a gentleman who worked for GM's oldsmobile division that you could order the car anyway you wanted it up to the late 70's. I.E. Blue car with red interior, they would build it. Do not know if this is true but, I do know my S didn't have the frender crome.
Alb
Old July 25th, 2009, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Alb
When I ordered my 69 cutlass s. The crome was an option. I was told by a gentleman who worked for GM's oldsmobile division that you could order the car anyway you wanted it up to the late 70's. I.E. Blue car with red interior, they would build it. Do not know if this is true but, I do know my S didn't have the frender crome.
Alb
"anyway you wanted it" is a far too general statement that just wasn't true. I'm sure there were special orders that were possible, but they would be very hard to prove without documentation. Too often when something odd pops up, I hear the "anything was possible from the factory" as a sweeping statement to explain something as factory original. Just not true.
In this case of the peak trim, there is more than just the trim pieces themselves, there are the holes for the trim that would be part of the stamping of the fender. If the Cutlass S fenders without the peak molding holes are *exactly* like another F-85 fender (holes and all), then special order is much more a likely possibility. If not, think about it: do you think they would alter a stamping die to make one?
See, a lot of these claims can be thought through for feasibility and considered accordingly. It is part of the research to investigate claims.
Alb, are you sure we're talking about the same molding? I find absolutely no indication that is was ever an option.
Old July 25th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Alb

At the time when I ordered my Cutlass S ( May 1969). I was asked if I wanted any of the crome packages. Which included fender peak and wheel well moundings.as well as the mouldings on the doors all the way back to the drip rail. You could order just wheel well mouldings, I told him no. That I didn't want any crome at all. I will try and find some pics of my car from back then and post them. So I really don't know if you could have ordered anything you wanted but, I know how I ordered mine. Just a basic Cutlass S 2 door hardtop. 350 cu in. 4 barrel carb. 4 speed ,dual exhaust. Tahitian tourquise, stock wheels and a Am radio. Total cost of the car was $2879.
Alb
Old July 25th, 2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Alb
At the time when I ordered my Cutlass S ( May 1969). I was asked if I wanted any of the crome packages. Which included fender peak and wheel well moundings.as well as the mouldings on the doors all the way back to the drip rail. You could order just wheel well mouldings, I told him no. That I didn't want any crome at all. I will try and find some pics of my car from back then and post them. So I really don't know if you could have ordered anything you wanted but, I know how I ordered mine. Just a basic Cutlass S 2 door hardtop. 350 cu in. 4 barrel carb. 4 speed ,dual exhaust. Tahitian tourquise, stock wheels and a Am radio. Total cost of the car was $2879.
Alb
Was it a Holiday Coupe? (hardtop 2-dr., no post)
Are certain it wasn't a Cutlass Supreme?
Can you verify the model number?

Please, I don't mean to pester of accuse you. I'm just going though a verification process, and mean you no disrespect. I appreciate you bringing this information forward.
Old July 25th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Banned

"anyway you wanted it" is a far too general statement that just wasn't true. I'm sure there were special orders that were possible, but they would be very hard to prove without documentation. Too often when something odd pops up, I hear the "anything was possible from the factory" as a sweeping statement to explain something as factory original. Just not true.

how do you know?

were you in the showroom selling Olds in 69 or on the assembly line?
Old July 25th, 2009, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by agtw31
how do you know?
were you in the showroom selling Olds in 69 or on the assembly line?
No, I've been been studying, researching, talking to those that did instead of spending my time making stupid counterproductive statements like that.
Old July 26th, 2009, 09:51 AM
olds..older..oldest

No, I've been been studying, researching, talking to those that did instead of spending my time making stupid counterproductive statements like that.
x2....Kurt,thanks for trying to clarify this issue for me[and others] I'll have to check"for sale" Forum,and Cndn. suppliers,and if need be, would Fusick's carry this trim? Is it stainless or chrome? Later...Derek
Old July 26th, 2009, 11:08 AM

Derek, take a look closely at the trim on other 442s. On the Coupes and Hardtops it runs along the fender, top of the doors, hook around the quarter window and into the roof drip rail to give what Olds called a "Halo" look which is pretty sharp. That "continuous line" is made up with 3 differently identified moldings:
1. Front fender peak
2. Side window halo
3. Roof drip
Are you just missing the front fender piece? Both sides?

Yes, they are stainless.
Old July 26th, 2009, 12:33 PM
olds..older..oldest

2/3 of a "halo"

Thanks for the details Kurt. I have all except the front fender trim for both sides.Strange that my 1969 Fischer service manual shows ALL the trim except for those fender pieces,which is why I initiated this thread in the first place.Time to start finding them!...p.s. will the passenger side piece "clear"the antenna base,cause she 's pretty tight there,unless the prior owner moved it outwards when NOT planning on having the fender trim....Derek
Old July 26th, 2009, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by derek nesdoly
Thanks for the details Kurt. I have all except the front fender trim for both sides.Strange that my 1969 Fischer service manual shows ALL the trim except for those fender pieces,which is why I initiated this thread in the first place.Time to start finding them!...p.s. will the passenger side piece "clear"the antenna base,cause she 's pretty tight there,unless the prior owner moved it outwards when NOT planning on having the fender trim....Derek
Can't help but wonder if the front fenders were replaced at some point, or the whole front clip.
Old July 26th, 2009, 03:41 PM
olds..older..oldest

Not quite sure why you speculate about fenders /front clip being replaced? The car WAS repainted 3 years ago...maybe the last owner a]didn't have that trim,or ,b] chose to leave it off.Does my original broadcast sheet info help?: body # 424259,trim comb. 935, no. 1 box=A01, no.2 box=W39,no.4 box=A51,no.7 box=U8,no.13 box=B90 ,no.14 box=K94,no.15 box=497. Derek
Old July 26th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

You may want to check the backside of the fenders at the top for evidence that the trim holes have been welded or filled.
Old July 26th, 2009, 04:40 PM
olds..older..oldest

...and Joe wins a set of correct W-36 stripes!

Saw Joe P's diagram on the W-36 thread showing the drill holes along the fender tops.Went out and checked my car and can feel thin "trios" of wires 3/4" long at a spacing corresponding to those drill holes.Question: will it be hard to re-drill those holes to allow reinstallation of the stainless trim? Thanks again to all who helped out.....Derek
Old July 26th, 2009, 05:30 PM

Glad "we" solved the mystery for you.
I'm not sure the "trios of wire" are that you are referring to, but I'll defer the this re-drilling question to someone with experience doing that.
Old July 27th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by derek nesdoly
Saw Joe P's diagram on the W-36 thread showing the drill holes along the fender tops.Went out and checked my car and can feel thin "trios" of wires 3/4" long at a spacing corresponding to those drill holes.Question: will it be hard to re-drill those holes to allow reinstallation of the stainless trim? Thanks again to all who helped out.....Derek
I actually wasn't the one who posted that picture, but as a good program manager I'm always happy to take credit for someone else's work.

Note that the trim clips on the backside of the chrome can slide along the length of the trim, so exact hole location is not critical.
Old July 27th, 2009, 09:11 AM
olds..older..oldest

oops!

Sorry AGTW31!! Joe probably already HAS a whack of W-36 stripes anyway. I mistakenly saw his quote by the post showing the drawing that you had provided...my bad. Good to know that the mounting clips are movable....Derek