1968 olds 442 engine vacuum diagram

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2016, 07:12 AM

1968 olds 442 engine vacuum diagram

I just installed the original intake manifold and rebuilt carb on the vehicle I installed electronic ignition and cant find where the vaccum advance vacuum hose gets connected to I believe it is the ported vacuum fitting on the driver side front of the carburetor im just no 100% on that, I also would like to know where the vacuum hose that goes to the transmission gets connected to, is there a vacuum t anywhere etc, if someone has a vacuum diagram and can send it to me it would really be appreciated or can someone give me a website where I can look it up. There is a vacuum switch on the intake manifold with 3 ports I would like to connect everything properly thanks for the help its always appreciated
Old March 6th, 2016, 07:51 AM

1968 olds 442 400 engine vacuum diagram

can someone send me a vacuum diagram for a 68 olds 442 400 motor, I am reinstalling the original intake and carburetor with electronic ignition, im not sure if the vacuum advance goes to the carburetor or the vacuum switch on the intake manifold, there is also a vacuum hose coming from the transmission and im not sure where the correct vacuum port is located, im not sure if there are any vacuum t needed and if any intake vacuum ports are closed in the intake, ive been looking for a schematic but I could not find one if someone has pictures that would really be appreciated thank for the help
Old March 6th, 2016, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by wisniows
I just installed the original intake manifold and rebuilt carb on the vehicle I installed electronic ignition and cant find where the vaccum advance vacuum hose gets connected to I believe it is the ported vacuum fitting on the driver side front of the carburetor im just no 100% on that, I also would like to know where the vacuum hose that goes to the transmission gets connected to, is there a vacuum t anywhere etc, if someone has a vacuum diagram and can send it to me it would really be appreciated or can someone give me a website where I can look it up. There is a vacuum switch on the intake manifold with 3 ports I would like to connect everything properly thanks for the help its always appreciated
PM me your email address and I can send you the engine section from the factory assembly manual.
Old March 6th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Randy C.

Here is what I have. The vacuum diagram is in manual section 6-0, page 129, the upper left picture, but the picture I have isn't real clear. The distributor vacuum hose goes directly to the top position of the thermostatic vacuum switch. The transmission modular vacuum hose goes to a "T" (shown in the upper right hand picture on page 129) and continues to the bottom position on the thermostatic vacuum switch and the "T" lead goes to a vacuum elbow that is installed on the intake manifold just forward of the carburetor. The other connection is a vacuum hose that is connected to the middle position on the thermostatic vacuum switch and goes to the vacuum port on the driver side of the carburetor.

First check with allyolds68 info he sends to you to verify what I said as the diagrams he has may be much clearer than what I have. I'm just looking at what I have in the book and what I did under the hood!

Randy C.
Old March 6th, 2016, 08:51 AM

Just to add

Page 129 upper left is for the A/C routing. The non A/C is on page 128 lower right. You said you had a TVS switch so the assumption Randy made is correct about the A/C. I just want to make sure. I've run a TVS on my car and it's non A/C and a MT. Not correct but I've done anyway

Last edited by allyolds68; March 6th, 2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old March 6th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Once again, it's neither necessary nor in your best interest to post the same question in multiple sub-forums. You'll get a better answer if all responses are kept to a single thread, so potentially incorrect info can be caught and corrected.
Old March 6th, 2016, 04:04 PM

68 442 vacuum diagram

Originally Posted by allyolds68
PM me your email address and I can send you the engine section from the factory assembly manual.
Thanks for the quick reply and me taking your time away from you I really appreciate it because I've looked and couldnt find it my email address is Kinetics1439@gmail.com the vehicle is non a/c and it's a automatic thanks once again
Old March 6th, 2016, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
Here is what I have. The vacuum diagram is in manual section 6-0, page 129, the upper left picture, but the picture I have isn't real clear. The distributor vacuum hose goes directly to the top position of the thermostatic vacuum switch. The transmission modular vacuum hose goes to a "T" (shown in the upper right hand picture on page 129) and continues to the bottom position on the thermostatic vacuum switch and the "T" lead goes to a vacuum elbow that is installed on the intake manifold just forward of the carburetor. The other connection is a vacuum hose that is connected to the middle position on the thermostatic vacuum switch and goes to the vacuum port on the driver side of the carburetor.

First check with allyolds68 info he sends to you to verify what I said as the diagrams he has may be much clearer than what I have. I'm just looking at what I have in the book and what I did under the hood!

Randy C.
Thank you very much that was a big help I did email allyolds68 and I will get a copy of the diagram but your response was very helpful
Old March 6th, 2016, 04:16 PM

I sent you the assembly manual sections so you should be able to figure it out but A 68 non A/C automatic did not use a TVS valve
Old March 6th, 2016, 07:06 PM
Randy C.

I do have a thermostatic vacuum switch on my car - it screws into the forward end of the intake manifold and has three vacuum ports on it. My 4-4-2 has never had a plug in that spot. It is a '68, non-A/C, automatic, but with heavy duty cooling. The vacuum routing I described is the way my car has been since new (car has been family-owned since new; still using the original TVS).

The print quality on my assembly manual is so poor that I can only read one of the applications for the lower right diagram on page 128, and that's "657 ??" which is a 455ci. There's something else under the "657 ??" but I can't read it at all.

Perhaps it's the heavy duty cooling that makes a difference in whether my vacuum routing is as shown on page 129, versus page 128 for non-HDC cars. If that's the case, I've learned something new yet again!

Randy C.

Last edited by rcorrigan5; March 7th, 2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old March 7th, 2016, 07:26 AM
Old(s) Fart

Perhaps it's the heavy duty cooling that makes a difference in whether my vacuum routing is as shown on page 129, versus page 128 for non-HDC cars. If that's the case, I've learned something new yet again!

Randy C.
Very likely. The whole reason for the TVS is to switch the distributor from ported vacuum to manifold vacuum if the engine starts to overheat. Manifold vac will provide vac advance at idle and low speed, allowing the engine to run cooler. This is a more likely situation on a car that needed HD cooling.

Of course, it also begs the question, why run ported vacuum at all, but that's a topic for a different thread...
Old March 7th, 2016, 07:44 AM

I do have a thermostatic vacuum switch on my car - it screws into the forward end of the intake manifold and has three vacuum ports on it. My 4-4-2 has never had a plug in that spot. It is a '68, non-A/C, automatic, but with heavy duty cooling. The vacuum routing I described is the way my car has been since new (car has been family-owned since new; still using the original TVS).

The print quality on my assembly manual is so poor that I can only read one of the applications for the lower right diagram on page 128, and that's "657 ??" which is a 350ci. There's something else under the "657 ??" but I can't read it at all.

Randy C.
Randy,

You're correct. The AT application is in the upper right on page 129 and it does have a TVS switch for the 658 motor which I assume is non A/C, AT.
Old March 7th, 2016, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Of course, it also begs the question, why run ported vacuum at all, but that's a topic for a different thread...
'Cause if you didn't run ported vacuum then what good would the TVS do?!

Geeez Joe

:-)

"it does have a TVS switch for the 658 motor which I assume is non A/C, AT"

I had a lot of trouble deciphering the "658" and whatnot motor terminology when first I cracked an assembly manual. Is this deciphered anywhere so we don't have to assume and guess? Maybe that's tonight's project.
Old March 7th, 2016, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
I had a lot of trouble deciphering the "658" and whatnot motor terminology when first I cracked an assembly manual. Is this deciphered anywhere so we don't have to assume and guess? Maybe that's tonight's project.

I wish I knew for sure too Chris. Every time I go through the assembly manual I come up with a different hypothesis.

This afternoon I think:

654 is a 350
657 is a 455
658 is a 400
664 is a Toro 455

You'd think there would be a High Compression and Low Compression version of each but that doesn't appear to be the case.
Old March 7th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Randy C.

I got hung up on the "654, 657, 658, 664) numbers when I was restoring the '68 and I just studied the assembly manual to try to figure it out. With the numbers shown in manual section 6, page 100 for camshaft identification, here's what I came up with:

654 EXC W31 = 350 engine, both the 250hp and 310hp.

657 REG & 664 REG = 455 engine, 310hp for 657 REG and 320hp or
365hp version for 664 REG.

658 2BBL & 4BBL, A.T. EXC W30 = 400 engine, 2bbl is the turnpike
cruiser version at 290hp, 4bbl is the 325hp version.

657 L76 & 664 W34 = 455 engine, L76 is the 375hp version & W34 is the
air induction version at 400hp.

658 4BBL S.M. EXC W30 = 400 engine with 350hp.

654 4BBL S.M. W31 = 350 engine with 325hp.

658 W30 = 400 engine with air induction system rated at 360hp.

-----

654 engines were used in the F85, Cutlass, Cutlass Supreme, Vista Cruiser & Delmont 88.

657 engines were used in the Delmont 88, Delta 88 & Delta 88 Custom.

658 engines were used solely in the 4-4-2 & Vista Cruiser.

664 engines were used in the Delmont 88, Delta 88, Delta 88 Custom & the Toronado.

That's what I was able to come up with. I'd sure appreciate any changes if someone spots an error so I can write it in my assembly manual!

Randy C.
Old March 7th, 2016, 03:40 PM

Thanks, Randy C
Added that to the PN database, in its own tab