69 Cutlass Conv Brake Conversion

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2008, 11:08 AM

69 Cutlass Conv Brake Conversion

Greetings all.

I am new to the site so please excuse me if this info is posted in another thread.

I have had a 1969 Cutlass Convertible project that I am restarting.
The car wasn't really loaded with options other than the bucket seats. No power windows, no clock, and worst no power brakes.

Among several body and interior project that I'm working on to get the car back on the road, I would really like to find out just how much headache I'm looking at to convert the brakes over to a power system. It has drums all the way around and I'm fine with keeping it that way..... unless that makes the headache worse of course.

Any help or advice would be great. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get rolling on this project.
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jon69
...convert the brakes over to a power system. It has drums all the way around and I'm fine with keeping it that way..... unless that makes the headache worse of course.
The factory actually offered a dealer-installed power booster package for exactly this conversion. While that's no longer available, the conversion is easy. You just need the booster and a correct master cylinder. You should be able to rebend your current hydraulic lines to match the new location of the M/C, or you can buy new prebent lines from several sources. Unlike my friend's Mustang (FOUR different brake pedals: drum or disk, manual or power ), the GM brake pedals are all the same and have two holes for the pushrod clevis, the upper one for manual and the lower one for power. This is a complete bolt-in that can easily be done in a Saturday.
Old March 14th, 2008, 02:27 PM

Excellent. Thanks for the info.

<runs off to source some parts>
Old March 30th, 2008, 10:17 AM

Manual to Power Brakes...GM Brake Pedals?

Hey Joe,

Does your statement "the GM brake pedals are all the same and have two holes for the pushrod clevis, the upper one for manual and the lower one for power" hold true for the 1962 model year (full-size Olds)? In other words, can I still use my original manual brake pedal if I add an NOS power brake booster & M/C?
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:33 PM

If you need a booster and master I convertered my F85 to manual disk brakes from power drums. If you interested in the booster and master let me know. $50 plus the ride Jkaz
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:56 PM

Thanks anyway JKaz but I already have an NOS power brake booster & M/C kit (actually, I have two - Bendix and Moraine).