Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Spare tire and jack location

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2012, 10:57 AM

Spare tire and jack location

Hello, I just bought my 1st olds, it is a 1964 "98"... my question is, does anyone have a picture or two of how the jack and the spare tire is held in place... it looks like I have all of the hardware but just cant figure how it all goes together... Oh, it is a 4 door Holiday special if that makes a difference. Thanks, Jeff
Old November 1st, 2012, 01:39 PM
Oldsdruid

If the jack instructions are still on the trunk lid it will show it. If they aren't...

Jack mast and lug wrench stow in clips at the back panel of the trunk on the passenger side of the latch. One part is a threaded stud screwed to the body, the other piece is bent at a right angle and has a slot. Jack goes in this clip. The slotted piece then fits over the jack mast and lug wrench and slips into the one screwed to the body. The slot fits over the stud and is secured by a wing nut.

Spare tire stows under the package tray. There is a lug on left side for the tire to butt against. On the right side you will see a sawtoothed bracket and a long bolt. The jack base goes over the eyebolt with the round dome down, butts against the tire and you put the edge of it in whichever saw tooth holds everything in tight. Then secure the base with another wingnut.
Old November 1st, 2012, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
If the jack instructions are still on the trunk lid it will show it. If they aren't...

Jack mast and lug wrench stow in clips at the back panel of the trunk on the passenger side of the latch. One part is a threaded stud screwed to the body, the other piece is bent at a right angle and has a slot. Jack goes in this clip. The slotted piece then fits over the jack mast and lug wrench and slips into the one screwed to the body. The slot fits over the stud and is secured by a wing nut.

Spare tire stows under the package tray. There is a lug on left side for the tire to butt against. On the right side you will see a sawtoothed bracket and a long bolt. The jack base goes over the eyebolt with the round dome down, butts against the tire and you put the edge of it in whichever saw tooth holds everything in tight. Then secure the base with another wingnut.
Thanks, the sticker is still there but shows just jacking instructions. When all of this is together, where does the jack mechanism go?
Old November 1st, 2012, 07:36 PM
Oldsdruid

Ratchet part of the jack (the mast) goes at the back edge of the trunk with the lug wrench. Just realised I didn't tell you where the jack hook goes. There should be enough threaded rod at the sawtooth bracket to secure it along with the base of the jack. I've also seen the hook left on the mast and all of it stowed at the back edge.