Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Will these rims fit my 71 442?

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2014, 07:45 PM
"Trying to fix her right"

Will these rims fit my 71 442?

Hi guys,

I have a chance to buy a set of American Racing Hopster rims and tires and I want to make sure they will fit. With the exception of rim size and width, I don't know much about anything else. The rims are 17X8 with 5" backspacing (whatever that is). Looking at the website it also shows a +12.00 mm offset, again I have no idea what that means. The tires are 275 40 R 17. I hope this is enough info for you guys to let me know.

Thanks, Dave

Last edited by dfire25; January 8th, 2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old January 8th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dfire25
Hi guys,

I have a chance to buy a set of American Racing Hopster rims and tires and I want to make sure they will fit. With the exception of rim size and width, I don't know much about anything else. The rims are 17X8 with 5" backspacing (whatever that is). Looking at the website it also shows a +12.00 mm offset, again I have no idea what that means. The tires are 275 40 R 17. I hope this is enough info for you guys to let me know.

Thanks, Dave
You might want to educate yourself before buying wheels. Type "backspace vs offset" into Google and prepare to be amazed. I'll help get you started with this web page.
Old January 8th, 2014, 04:45 PM

Great info Joe, thank you.

I guess it would help to know what the backspace and offset is on a stock rally II as well for some compairison.
Old March 5th, 2014, 07:47 AM

Those are the wheels I run, 17x8, generically speaking, 5" backspacing. It's actually 4.81" backspacing, but still works.

I run staggered tire size though, 255/40/17 on the front, 275/40/17 on the back.

Might be able to run 275s up front, but I can't say for sure. Once I need tires I will see if I can run 275s all around.

Old March 5th, 2014, 08:10 AM

no

Originally Posted by HWYSTR455
Those are the wheels I run, 17x8, generically speaking, 5" backspacing. It's actually 4.81" backspacing, but still works.

I run staggered tire size though, 255/40/17 on the front, 275/40/17 on the back.

Might be able to run 275s up front, but I can't say for sure. Once I need tires I will see if I can run 275s all around.

275s up front will look silly & steer like bull dozer. I suspect that they will hit something too.

Backspace & offset is easy to understand. If you have an 8" wide rim with 4" backspace then the offset is zero. Offset changes when the backspace is not exactly half of the rim width.
Old March 5th, 2014, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
275s up front will look silly & steer like bull dozer. I suspect that they will hit something too.

Backspace & offset is easy to understand. If you have an 8" wide rim with 4" backspace then the offset is zero. Offset changes when the backspace is not exactly half of the rim width.
Well, there's this 'new' thing going on, called 'pro-touring' , as well as many that compete in autocross, and they would beg to differ on 275s up front. Has to do with contact patch.

The difference in width between a 255 and 275 is like .6 - .7 inches or so, not going to make a big difference when it comes to steering resistance. I run 275s on the front on my LeMans, no problem with resistance.

Now, backspace/offset does become an issue with wider tires and wheels, especially when you run factory upper control arms. But that's a much bigger topic than this thread is intended for.

Just to touch on wheel widths, some manufacturers measure from the inside of the lip, others from the outside, when stating wheel widths. USUALLY, when a manufacturer lists a wheel width in halfs, like 8.5, it's the same width as another manufacturer's 8 width. That's something you need to check when attempting to fit the widest wheel/tire combo.

If you're curious as to what others are 'getting away with' on wheel/tire combos, you can check sites like pro-touring.com and lateral-g.net, they have tested the limits for years and there is a wealth of info there regarding.

EDIT: Let me add that a 275 tire is not properly rated for an 8" wide wheel, it requires a minimum of 9". So if you want to run 275s, then you need the 9"s. And that brings up the question now if I have 9s on the front of my clone (know I have them on the back, not sure of the fronts)

Last edited by HWYSTR455; March 5th, 2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old March 5th, 2014, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I did not end up buying those rim and tires.
I have decided, after reading several thread (mostly MrNick's, thanks!) to go with 17X8 4.5" backspacing 0 offset in the front, and 17X9.5 5" backspacing -6 offset in the back.
As far as the tires I'll probably go with 255/45R17's in the front. For the back I'm looking into a 275, 285, or 295's. I'm not sure whether to go with 40 or 45's as well.
I've narrowed it down to Centerline Sundance soft tail or retro wheels. But I haven't ruled out American Racing Hopster wheels. I believe these are your rims HWYSTR455.
These rims and tires are so God D#&€ expensive I'm just trying to find the right look and fit that's the best.
Old March 6th, 2014, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by dfire25
Thanks for the info guys. I did not end up buying those rim and tires.
I have decided, after reading several thread (mostly MrNick's, thanks!) to go with 17X8 4.5" backspacing 0 offset in the front, and 17X9.5 5" backspacing -6 offset in the back.
As far as the tires I'll probably go with 255/45R17's in the front. For the back I'm looking into a 275, 285, or 295's. I'm not sure whether to go with 40 or 45's as well.
I've narrowed it down to Centerline Sundance soft tail or retro wheels. But I haven't ruled out American Racing Hopster wheels. I believe these are your rims HWYSTR455.
These rims and tires are so God D#&€ expensive I'm just trying to find the right look and fit that's the best.
I have the ARE Hopsters on the clone, and Centerline thrusters on the LeMans. (Can look at my photo albums) Getting ready to replace the LeMans wheels, not sure what I'm going with there yet. But on the Centerlines, be advised they make them, so you won't get them right away, can take 6-10 weeks. If you get lucky, they have popular sizes in stock.

The LeMans is a different story, those are 9.5s on the front, 11s on the back. I can squeeze a 305 on the back, some tires I can get a 315 on, but I don't because I would have to mix and match brands. Honestly, 255s and 275s are plenty. If you have big power, doesn't matter, neither are going to hook anyway! (275 or a 315)

I need to look and see what I have on the clone, I just can't remember what widths I have on there. I kinda don't care until I need new tires though.

Old March 6th, 2014, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by HWYSTR455
But on the Centerlines, be advised they make them, so you won't get them right away, can take 6-10 weeks. If you get lucky, they have popular sizes in stock.

Honestly, 255s and 275s are plenty. If you have big power, doesn't matter, neither are going to hook anyway! (275 or a 315)
If I go with the Centerlines I'll probably order them from Summit, free shipping and all. They are showing 4 weeks for delivery on the web sight, but I'm sure they come directly from Centerline so who knows.

As far as the hooking up, I was afraid of that. I never had my motor on a dyno, but in might be in the 450hp range. With the 14's I have on there now, even at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle they brake loose and the car is sideways I was hoping to get as wide a tire as I can in the back to help that out as much as possible, maybe like a 11" or 12" wide. This is just for street driving though, if I ever go to the track I'll have to use slicks for sure.
Old March 6th, 2014, 11:13 AM

Yeah, 14s, no mercy! And no chance! You will do better with 275s or 295s, especially if you go a little sticky. The nittos aren't bad, and not as bad in the rain as some say. Shoot, I drove on them in the winter even!

If you have an aftermarket rear suspension setup, might even help adjusting some pinion into it. Anti-squat is the ticket, but believe that requires lowering the front mounting points, and you sacrifice some handling doing that. (So I never went there).

Sideways is fun! Steer with the throttle is what I say! Been doing that for years, not sure where this term 'drifting' came from! Heh-heh! Oh, I guess it's different for imports, being front wheel drive or 100hp and all, it's new to them!