Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Tires code differences

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2015, 04:46 PM

Tires code differences

Hello to all the tire experts, I am not. Looking to buy tires for my car. Gonna purchase a set of Goodyear G70x14 polyglas RWL tires. I see there is a code ES for tires that go on a car built after 1/1/1970 and other codes for tires for cars built prior to then. Codes RS and WS. What might I ask if the difference between them? Thanks in advance.
Old September 25th, 2015, 05:04 PM
Administrator

This may help:
http://www.superbirdclub.com/GoodyearDatecodes.html
Old September 26th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by easyd
Hello to all the tire experts, I am not. Looking to buy tires for my car. Gonna purchase a set of Goodyear G70x14 polyglas RWL tires. I see there is a code ES for tires that go on a car built after 1/1/1970 and other codes for tires for cars built prior to then. Codes RS and WS. What might I ask if the difference between them? Thanks in advance.
I'm a bit confused. You want to buy some old tires? Or are these reproduced tires? If they're reproduced I think they are required by law to have a modern DOT date code system on the rubber molds. Are you looking at something like this? ( http://www.kelseytire.com/pages/preformancetires2.html )
Old September 26th, 2015, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I'm a bit confused. You want to buy some old tires? Or are these reproduced tires? If they're reproduced I think they are required by law to have a modern DOT date code system on the rubber molds. Are you looking at something like this? ( http://www.kelseytire.com/pages/preformancetires2.html )
I too am confused Allan R. I want to buy some reproduction tires. Some of which are on that chart. I see ES, RS, NS, WS on the chart for the same tire size. G70x14. From what I see I need tires that are an ES for cars built after 1/1/1970. Which is what I have. What I don't understand is what are the differences between the ES, RS, NS and WS. When I called about the tires they told me they needed to be ES tires. Maybe I am thinking to much into it but I am now wondering the difference or is there?
Old February 17th, 2016, 02:21 PM

ES=Elevated size (size is shown in raised white letter)
NS= No Size (no size shown in raised white letter)
RS= red stripe
WS= white stripe

The G70-14 Polyglas are available as raised white letter ES, redstripe, and whitestripe.