Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Sanity Check Toronado 1st Gen OEM Chrome Wheels

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2011, 02:30 PM

Talking Sanity Check Toronado 1st Gen OEM Chrome Wheels

Have located a driver quality set of Toro 1st gen chrome wheels. They have some grit, grime and a bit of surface rust here and there but should clean up nice.

What would a reasonable sane person (then there's me...) expect to pay for a set of 4 without center caps nor trim rings?

Thanks in Advance!
Old February 25th, 2011, 02:45 PM

I'd hope for $25 each... but I know prices can vary from different parts of the country based on what's available. So that's my number, hopefully some others will share what they'd think. John
Old February 25th, 2011, 02:58 PM

Thanks 2blu!

Multiply by about 10.

That's what I'm trying to rationalize. Are they that sought after?
Old February 25th, 2011, 03:06 PM

For that price I'd hope they were in mint condition! I wonder what it would cost to have a set of normal steel wheels chrome plated? I know I've sold a few chrome first generation wheels over the years and I don't think I got more than $20ish each for those. I'd put the check book away and keep looking if it were me

If you haven't yet try posting a parts wanted ad here on ClassicOldsmobile and see what kind of wheels/prices you get offered
Old February 25th, 2011, 05:49 PM

10-4, thanks again.
Perhaps a WTB ad is appros at this point. I sure don't mind paying what's fair and even profitable but then again....
Old April 26th, 2011, 08:31 PM

Toro wheels

I just saw your thread and thought I would comment. You may have already acquired a set of chrome rims. Occasionally you will see a set of chrome wheels on eBay for the Toro but as you stated they are expensive.

Fortunately for me when I bought my 69 Toro almost 13 years ago it already had the stock chrome rims. The small stainless caps were beat up and there were no trim rings. I thought about having the wheels re-chromed but found out that the cost was way too much because of the environmental restrictions being placed on local plating shops. At the same time I needed the Toro bumpers re-plated and spent 1,200.00 resulting in OK quality at the one reputable place that was chrome plating bumpers in Seattle.

To make a long story short I found a NOS set of wheel caps ( dog dish ) making the wheels look amazing. My suggestion, for cost savings, is to purchase a set of wheels, do all the prep work and then have them re-chromed. I would send the rims out to a place in Canada or California based on where I live. Hope you found a nice set of wheels !
Old April 26th, 2011, 08:42 PM

Remember 1st gen Toros have disc brake wheel and non-disc brake wheel. Disc brake style wheel will fit all while a drum brake wheel will not fit front disc brake. Henry
Old April 27th, 2011, 10:03 PM

Disc Brake specific wheels

I remember reading about the disc brake specific wheels for the Toronado's. I can't seem to find any actual data that shows the inside wheel dimension differences between the two wheels.

I read an article almost 8 years ago about drum to disc conversions for the first generation Toronados and that the only problem was a small area on the brake caliper that could be radiused to fit the non-disc wheel.

Do you know if this is correct and do you have any size specific information on these wheels ? I've still got a set ( front ) of 1970 disc brake wheels for the Toronado i was going to sell.