Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Powder Coating SSIII wheels?

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2018, 06:17 AM

Powder Coating SSIII wheels?

When I put the SSIII's on my 71 Cutlass in the 90's I had them painted professionally with acrylic enamel in the body color to match. Looked great for a long time. Since then 2 of them got bent ( please don't ask...). I replaced the bent ones and painted them with touch up spray cans. The ones I painted look like crap and all 4 of them have chips, etc. I have a bunch of extra wheels and I was thinking about getting 4 of them powder coated. My question is can the colors be matched reasonably well to the Nordic blue on the car? Anyone done this? Thanks, Greg.
Old July 17th, 2018, 09:08 AM

Interesting. Last time I talked to someone about powder coating there were only so many colors available. Maybe that has changed over the years?

I have painted many a wheel using a quart can of paint mixed at the paint store, some good quality etching primer, and a Prevail sprayer. I stripped the wheels down to metal, used the primer, then sprayed light coats of paint. The first set of 14x7 SSIII wheels that I painted back in the 90s still look great.
Old July 17th, 2018, 10:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Yes, I've done this. It came out great. There are hundreds if not thousands of powder colors available. If your selected powder coater can't get them, find another shop. Tiger Drylac is a big vendor for powder. They have color charts on line.
Old July 17th, 2018, 01:00 PM

I have done it as well, I posted pics in a thread her demonstrating how good they can look. I'll try to search later when I have time and post the link
Old July 17th, 2018, 05:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

If the car isn't going to be a DD, I'd opt for the painted version as it will cost a lot less. With the new paints and clear coats now, you can do a really nice job at home. Most stores will mix up rattle cans of BC/CC for you at a very reasonable price. My 2¢
Old July 17th, 2018, 06:23 PM

I live out in the country and do at times go down gravel roads. I go slow and try not to get on gravel at all but it does happen. The 'vert is not a daily driver but maybe gets 2000 miles a year. I will check into it further, thanks for the info, guys. As a side note I have a set of the chrome SS wheels on my Vista Cruiser that I drive everywhere (about 5000 miles last year) like a rental car. I noticed that the center caps on the rear wheels get battered from the stones and dirt thrown off the front wheels.