Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

I need an honest opinion

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2020, 12:30 PM

I need an honest opinion

Just wondering (before I commit) I want to put a set of cragar keystone Klassics on my 69 cutlass 's' , and was wondering if that would be a good look..... I currently have ssii rallies matching paint. Pretty low key. Anyways thanks for the feedback.
Joe
Old May 6th, 2020, 12:40 PM

cragars

'S'tuff1979 Back in the day (1975) I put 15 x7 Cragars SS on front and 15 x8 on rears on a 69 Cutlass Supreme. Really looked sharp and lots of complaments. No clearance problems except when I had too many people in back seat. I had a dark green body black vinyl top and black interior. My 2 cents go for them. Bassinguy
Old May 6th, 2020, 02:03 PM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by 'S'tuff1979
Just wondering (before I commit) I want to put a set of cragar keystone Klassics on my 69 cutlass 's' , and was wondering if that would be a good look..... I currently have ssii rallies matching paint. Pretty low key. Anyways thanks for the feedback.
Joe

HEY JOE
They are both a splash above factory painted wheels
Make yourself happy
Cragars
american racing
keystone
all have a following

Myself I like a wider spoke than a keystone delivers.. But that is me....

Hopefully they stopped making UNI LUG wheels watch out for adapters or washers and hokey lug nuts....

All the BEST

Old May 6th, 2020, 03:34 PM
Administrator

I was never a fan of the Keystone Classic wheel, they were not very popular back in the day in my crowd.
Old May 6th, 2020, 03:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I was never a fan of the Keystone Classic wheel, they were not very popular back in the day in my crowd.
I'll take those Keystones over the 70 stripe on a 69 any day!
Old May 6th, 2020, 04:02 PM

Since this is a question asking for opinions, I never liked Keystone wheels. I like a lot of other wheels, such as the American Racing Torque Thrust M wheels on the blue car, but a lot of others as well. I am too old and lazy to polish wheels that are "Billet" or "Polished". I want Chrome or something with a finish that requires only clean and wax. Which Keystone fits the Chrome desire, I just never wanted to own them.
You can check out the pictures of the blue car in My album link. They are 12 years+ old and still look great, IMO. They are 17x8
Best wishes,
Old May 6th, 2020, 04:12 PM

I will go with joe and Oldcutlass, they were on my car when I bought it many many years ago and they were the first thing I removed, Hurst wheels are very affordable now, as well as larger size rally 1 and 2s I like cragars american 200s, even old ansens never like the keystones just my personal opinion
Old May 6th, 2020, 06:01 PM

Just my opinion, which is perhaps not worth much. I was not a fan of the Keystone Klassics back in the time period. Can't explain why, but it seems I have company here. They were popular in my area. On the '68 and up contoured bodies the traditional Cragar S/S look right to me. But I also like the Hurst, Radir, and now the Cragar Eliminator 500. Those three have a fair degree of similarity in their spoke contour. I think they look particularly good on the '67s and earlier.

Of course lots of varying tastes, that's why there are so many designs available. I will say I prefer tires with some sidewall on these wheels--probably dating myself!
Old May 6th, 2020, 06:34 PM

Another anti Keystone guy here, I’m in the Cragar & Torq Thrust camp. Does that make me old?!?
Old May 7th, 2020, 02:52 AM
Lansing built

I will take factory wheels over any aftermarket! But, I am with the crowd if going to after market.

Pat
Old May 7th, 2020, 04:50 AM

I am not a fan of Keystone Klassic wheels. I'm definitely in the Torq Thrust camp.

If the choice is between the factory SSIIs and the Keystones. SSIIs all the way. I would say that the Keystones may only be an appearance upgrade on cars like ours if we had hubcaps to begin with, and maybe a sideways move if you have SSIs.
Old May 7th, 2020, 06:40 AM
72 Olds CS

I like the keystones and I had some back in the day too.

i also like the ss cragers, torque thrusts and ss1, ss2 rims...the ansen slots eh not so much (sorry Eddie)
Old May 7th, 2020, 06:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

So while we're voicing opinions on aftermarket wheels, I'll tell you what I DON'T like. It's the newer versions of classic wheels where the spokes curve inward at the outer diameter, presumably to provide more brake clearance. This is why I used TTOs on my 67 D88 and not the more common Torque Thrusts.

These look "right" on an older car:

These do not:

Old May 7th, 2020, 07:05 AM

I agree completely Joe, the old look is a better look. But there is room for all in my opinion. I had some 17" new look wheels on the 67 Turnpike Cruiser convertible I had for a while. I thought they looked good. But I am a Ky hillbilly through and through. That Ohio State thing is my neighbors.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
So while we're voicing opinions on aftermarket wheels, I'll tell you what I DON'T like. It's the newer versions of classic wheels where the spokes curve inward at the outer diameter, presumably to provide more brake clearance. This is why I used TTOs on my 67 D88 and not the more common Torque Thrusts.
Old May 7th, 2020, 08:44 AM

Hot Damn

This is probably one of the best places on the net thanks to everyone for there honest opinion...... Which I was not expecting anyone to give a flying rats hind quarters about. Did it make my decision easier noway hahaha. But it gave me more to chew on. but once again in a world where everything is getting weird its cool to know there's some grounded right minded (using the term loosely) people you can get some advice from which is valuable. Thanks
Joe
Old May 7th, 2020, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

These look "right" on an older car:
If I didn't already have TTO's on the Plymouth when I was building the Cutlass for my son (an unfortunate story), they would have been on the Cutlass. The TTD's however, look pretty good on it.
Old May 7th, 2020, 01:40 PM
Rocket Renegade!

I had the Keystone Klassics on my '64 Impala back in high school. With its angular, squared-off body, they looked good. Gave it kind of a sinister look.

Maybe not so much with the contoured "Coke-bottle" lines of the '68-72 A-bodies.
Old May 8th, 2020, 11:46 PM

I had Keystone Klassiks on my 76 as 7" wide at front at 8" at back. I liked them for being something else than what most cars seems to wear.
BUT- i sold them. I never figured out how they are supposed to keep torqued- as they were unilug wheels, after every drive one nut seemed to need re-torqueing.
Old May 9th, 2020, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by 66luvr
I agree completely Joe, the old look is a better look. But there is room for all in my opinion. I had some 17" new look wheels on the 67 Turnpike Cruiser convertible I had for a while. I thought they looked good.
I also agree with Joe, my current rims Vision Wheel have a slight curve to the spokes as well. But not as pronounced as yours were. I will say that overall your car looked great. Seems to work better on the 66/67 body. Plus the convertible down softens the cars look, further blending with the non ridged appearance of the newer version.

Did it make my decision easier noway hahaha.
As we have similar cars I will try to further help.

My biggest issue with the Keystones is that the center of the rim reminds me of a 5 petal daisy. Not the look I have in mind when I am thinking muscle era cars.

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
angular, squared-off body, they looked good.
Definitely looks better, they work on late 60s B-body Mopars.

Originally Posted by Inline
I liked them for being something else than what most cars seems to wear.
Great point ! Dime a dozen can get boring....
Old May 9th, 2020, 11:33 AM

I do not care for aftermarket wheels on an otherwise stock ride. Olds had many options, fake wire wheel, poverties, super stocks I-IV. On my 442, it is a 4 drum, SSI car, or at least it came to me with them. I want disc brakes. I have acquired 14x6 1969 SSIs that will clear factory disc. I consider that an appropriate choice. Now, if you need to do things that require aftermarket rims, as in racing, or customizing, then, by all means, use whatever wheel you need/want. It is the dichotomy of seeing a tuxedo and a pair of Converse All Stars that gets to me, not the All Stars themselves.
Old May 9th, 2020, 12:53 PM
Bfg

All that yellow Cutlass needs now is the W-36 stripe, that will really get your eyes to pop out of your head!
Old May 9th, 2020, 01:47 PM
Randy C.

My brother had Keystones on his '67 Camaro RS convertible. I thought they looked pretty nice!

Randy C.

Old May 9th, 2020, 09:21 PM

Everybody in town had Cragers or chrome wheels. I put Keystone Klassics on the '68 H/O on the street and 15 X 4's on front with 15 X 5'" steels for racing.
I saw a new member on here that picked up a '62 Starfire with Keystone's on it and I thought they looked great. I am sorta thinking about Keystone Klassics on my '57.
Those "Uni lugs" weren't the best idea.
.......Just my two cents worth.
Old May 10th, 2020, 10:13 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
My brother had Keystones on his '67 Camaro RS convertible. I thought they looked pretty nice!
Randy C.
How did he have an RS (not SS) badged big block? I always thought if you ordered the SS package (mandatory if you wanted a 396) and the RS package together, the SS callouts would take precedence.

I will admit it's a good look, though.
Old May 11th, 2020, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
I do not care for aftermarket wheels on an otherwise stock ride. Olds had many options, fake wire wheel, poverties, super stocks I-IV.
To some extent I agree with that, but I also think many muscle era style mags work well on many muscle era type cars. What strikes me the hardest along the lines of what you are saying is when someone has a relatively new mint all original car. Then seems to think that some new loud aftermarket rims are whats missing and the finishing touch. Generally almost always looks out of place to me. I don't feel the same with muscle era and the rims that suit that time.

Now If I had a mint original 66 W30 with dog dish, I think I would likely leave it alone. Same goes for a 70 W30 442 with SSIIs, etc. To me pedigree and condition plays a big part in how much play goes into a car. In my case a Supreme is a nice ride but a commoner to some extent in the field. Even though its more rare than a 442 of the same year if you can even use that word with 20k + models produced for both lines. Plus my car was a hubcap car originally.

My biggest issue with Olds rims is they never had a lightweight aluminum 15 x 7. The 79 Hurst Olds rims are small and weigh a ton.

Same goes for these size wise, not sure about weight. They do look good on G -Bodys IMHO.

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Everybody in town had Cragers or chrome wheels. I put Keystone Klassics on the '68 H/O on the street and 15 X 4's on front with 15 X 5'" steels for racing.
When I was growing up it was Centerline Auto Drags, they seemed to be on all the bad *** muscle across all brands and they always looked right. SS Cragars were also in play.

Good stuff with those steels for racing. Strong, lightweight, and narrow.
Old May 11th, 2020, 05:19 AM

more to chew on.
Joe since our cars are first cousins I will submit 2 pics of my 69. One with SSIIs/IIIs and the other with the current Vision Wheel 141 Legend 5, which is Torq Thrust style.

The black rim is the Vision Wheel the gray is a Torq Thrust D. Obviously they are very close in appearance. Mine are Gunmetal Gray.
Old May 11th, 2020, 05:47 AM
Administrator

While I'm not familiar with the Vision brand, your new wheels look better. Personally, I'm in the day 2 look on these cars.
Old May 11th, 2020, 08:42 AM
Randy C.

With regards to the '67 RS Camaro and the big block badging, well, that's my brother. He changed badging on that car to a big block even though it was a 327, for intimidation purposes! For some reason, he liked doing that. He had a '66 Caprice that was decked out pretty nice (396, buckets, console with gauges) but the 396 wasn't good enough so he got the 427 badges and put them on. All I can say is, that was just him! The Camaro was a true RS.

Randy C.
Old May 11th, 2020, 04:43 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
With regards to the '67 RS Camaro and the big block badging, well, that's my brother. He changed badging on that car to a big block even though it was a 327, for intimidation purposes! For some reason, he liked doing that. He had a '66 Caprice that was decked out pretty nice (396, buckets, console with gauges) but the 396 wasn't good enough so he got the 427 badges and put them on. All I can say is, that was just him! The Camaro was a true RS.

Randy C.
Thanks for the clarification. My brain was starting to hurt.
Old May 13th, 2020, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
While I'm not familiar with the Vision brand, your new wheels look better. Personally, I'm in the day 2 look on these cars.
Thank you Eric, I spent a lot of time coming to the decision to go with them. I was not familiar with the brand either, did some research seemed like a good option and very affordable in my opinion. Thinking it was under 600.00 total set of four, including lugs and center caps, delivered. (Summit Racing Equipment) Good solid rim, have had them on going on 4 years. So far so good.

Torq Thrust were a bit more expensive at the time, not the end of the world but they didn't have the gunmetal color in this style which I felt blends with the car well. Regular gray stood out too much to me relative to my cars condition. While black rims have always kinda bothered me, at first glance always makes me think of a steel rim that's missing its hubcap. So this was the compromise, although the weight savings from the Torq Thrust has had me kicking myself for some time now....

'S'tuff1979 sorry I forgot to include this in my earlier post. https://www.autoaddictions.com/wheel-visualizer/
Great tool for visualization, they may not have a 69 Cutlass hardtop but you can always substitute a Chevelle for an idea of the look, etc. I'm fairly certain I used something similar before I went with my rims. They have a wide variety of different name brand rims to try out.