Clamshell Custom Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Builder of the strange

Clamshell Custom Cruiser

I thought I'd drop a message to all that after being a part of the thread about an AWD Vista Cruiser and then the the messages about sedan deliveries and such, I thought I'd post that I'm soon to be the proud owner of a running 1971 or 1974 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser.

Over the weekend, I located one on the other side of Dallas, Texas for almost next to nothing. I have been told that it does in deed run, but will need some work mechanically to really make it road worthy. I was told that it desperately needs a paint job and interior work. Neither of these bother me as I'm sre I'm going to want to re-paint it anyway. The interior, same thing, I already planned to completely gut it and start over as I will need to make sidewalls similiar to a hearse anyway to cover the rear door glass and the cargo glass.

Yes, I'm going to build this car for myself, but after hearing some really neat things, I want y'alls help on this.

Should I look into doing woodgrain? If so, should it be custom painted on, get a woodgrain vinyl kit or take it up a notch and use actual maple or oak or something similar that can be purchased like a sheet of plywood? I have a source for getting 1/32" and 1/16" in 4x8 sheets - can get maple, cherry, mohogany and oak.

Next thing is color: I was told this one is kinda white or that really light cream color. Either way, it WILL NOT be one of those colors. Yes, I'm in Texas, but I drive a black hearse, so dark colors do not bother me. I'm not opposed to "resale" red, most greens, silvers/grays, blues, purples/violets and black. Darker colors will also help "hide" that the rear foors are still functional.

Interior: Do I stay with the split bench seat (I was informed of this this morning it has that) up front and do I retain the rear passenger seats including 3rd row or should all of that be changed so it's truly a sedan delivery for strictly hauling cargo? I do not have children unless you count the 2 dogs and cats. I do however do a LOT of camping and swap meets.
A couple of my thoughts are maybe going with bucket seats up front and a nice center console so then I could also move the shifter from column shift to floor. I know the seats will be cloth as leather just gets plain HOT in the summer and it's also easier to keep a cloth interior clean as I plan to drive the wagon when completed and not just to shows. I will however use that "ultra-leather" (high tech new vinyl) as accents and such. Again, what color/colors/design would you like to see.

For those who are now wondering what is going to happen to the glass, it won't be for sale. In fact, I'm not even going to remove the glass from the car, but the car will be a legitimate Sedan Delivery. My plans are to as it was mentioned, remove the rear door handles (will put them onto electric poppers). ALL the rear foor and cargo glass trim will also be removed. Once that is completed, I will then BOND sheetmetal to those areas, thus "removing" the glass from existence. This is also why the sidewalls like a hearse will need to be designed to hide the glass inside as well. Once the panels have been bonded into place, I will then do the bodywork to hide any remaining seams and then all the paint and other exterior details will be done.

I figure that in doing an adhesive bonding and these adhesives are quite durable (look at most new cars, they use a LOT of this adhesive too), IF someone deicdes they want to own my car more than I do, but want to revert the car back to it's original state, it can be done with MINIMAL efforts. the biggest issue to changing it back would be that of the rear door handle locations as they will be welded up with patch panels.

I REALLY look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with and this is a serious serious deal.

Frank Redmond
Bowie Texas
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Builder of the strange

Well dadgum....PLENTY of lookers and no one has suggestions. I'm kind of disappointed.
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:28 AM

Geez, I live in Plano Tx and never saw any Vistas for sale around here!
I would make a special road trip just to see that new beast you got; looks like you picked up a good project...
I would stick with the vinyl woodgrain (no pun insteded) as real wood will not withstand the elements well. I would probably not even use it at all. Black, midnight blue, silver, or very deep purple would look great IMHO.
Do the seats fold into the floor? If I had a Vista, it would be for cargo hauling mostly but would like to seat 4 if needed. Or just make them easy to remove when not needed.
Perhaps you could tint the back windows dark enough that that they are almost black - use a color similar the paint you choose...
I like those old Vistas - maybe some day I will get one, should I find one...

There is an old late 60's Cadillac hearse at a bone yard in Hendersone county that looked to be in good shape. The guy running the place said it was for sale, though. I thought that would be a way cool cargo hauler!
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Builder of the strange

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Geez, I live in Plano Tx and never saw any Vistas for sale around here!
The Vista that I have, I found it in Oklahoma, but I've been informed of one sitting in an old car salvage yard in Alvord, TX if you're interested in a project. I'm not sure what year it is however. Sounds to me like we need to get to know each other as I can find these old cars all over this part of the state. I don't live in an area like Plano where they won't let you keep anything that doesn't fit "the community". I live in RURAL Texas....

I would stick with the vinyl woodgrain (no pun insteded) as real wood will not withstand the elements well. I would probably not even use it at all.
I have built several wood teardrop campers and I use plenty of automotive clear on it and have never had a problem. I've got a teardrop camper that's 15 years old and the only time it was cleared was when it was first built. I'm not opposed to te vinyls either though as they have gotten better and there is a company here in town that does vinyl car wraps.

Black, midnight blue, silver, or very deep purple would look great IMHO. Do the seats fold into the floor? If I had a Vista, it would be for cargo hauling mostly but would like to seat 4 if needed. Or just make them easy to remove when not needed.
Right now, black or a very deep purple seems to be what I'm thinking for a color as I want to hide the rear doors still being functional (as they are on the HHR Panel). I don't know about the rear seats, but suspect they're going to be where the seat bottom either flips against the front seat or like other wagons where the seat back folds down on top of the bottom. Personally, I HATE carrying anyone in my cars, so not having seats, just makes it that much easier. Besides, I have a Sedan DeVille for carrying more than two persons.

Perhaps you could tint the back windows dark enough that that they are almost black - use a color similar the paint you choose...I like those old Vistas - maybe some day I will get one, should I find one...
I don't want a "station wagon" and tinting the windows won't make it a "sedan delivery". It will only become a "law enforcement magnet" as then they're goingto think I'm transporting illegal drugs or have something to hide. I'm leaving the glass as I mentioned, but will cover them entirely with sheetmetal that is bonded or glued into place and then bondo over the seams as to hide any remaining seams in the bodywork. These panels will be painted the same as the remainder of the car.

Also, I'm not doing this to my Vista Cruiser....this is a Custom Cruiser.

There is an old late 60's Cadillac hearse at a bone yard in Hendersone county that looked to be in good shape. The guy running the place said it was for sale, though. I thought that would be a way cool cargo hauler!
I own SEVERAL hearses and my daily driver is a 1981 S&S Cadillac Hearse that doubles as a show car and is a show winner too! I've seen hearses used for everything from plumbing and construction vehicles to hauling band equipment to camping vehicles and limo's.
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:15 AM

I am now grasping your concept here - I now remember what a true "sedan delivery" looks like. Yes, the idea of covering the windows would be way cool. Perhaps some kind of composite stuff? Not sure how easy it would be to shape sheetmetal to make it look seamless... Bodywork like that is WAY over my head! Fibreglass maybe??

So it is the Custom Cruiser has the retractible tailgate and power window that rolls into the roof? I saw that in the body manual and thought it was a neat design. If so, do you plan for the covered portion to retract also?
I guess if I saw some pictures it would be more evident; got any?

If you do run across a decent runing Vista, 70-72, please let me know. I live in one of those typical little city houses, so i am out of space for projects. (I still regret not making my garage a tad larger and installing A/C.) A good daily driver that can haul stuff is what I need. My new Caddy will be sold if I do find a good Vista. I prefer all older cars.

You may also be able to help me with locating boneyards with older cars; sounds like you know a few. Around here, it is '90 and up... What older cars that can be found are often beyond use.

I am actually east of Plano in a tiny town that used to be in "rural" TX 10 years ago. The city came in and invaded my territory. It turned to crap overnight almost - I hate it now...
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Builder of the strange

I am now grasping your concept here - I now remember what a true "sedan delivery" looks like. Yes, the idea of covering the windows would be way cool. Perhaps some kind of composite stuff? Not sure how easy it would be to shape sheetmetal to make it look seamless... Bodywork like that is WAY over my head! Fibreglass maybe??
I have thought about that, but for me sheetmetal is so much easier to work with. My biggest hassle will be the cargo flass section because of the curve that's in the very rear edge of the glass. Overall, it's relatively flat until you get toward the tailgate. I have no problems with fiberglass, but I don't trust the composite stuff.....too "new fangled" for me (btw, I'm only 42!). I've been doing bodywork since I was about 13, so slingin' bondo doesn't bother me at all. A matter of uing enough to hide seams and not too much so it cracks or breaks. Be more than happy to let you see the actual work when I get started....always happy to teach someone how to do their own work!

So it is the Custom Cruiser has the retractible tailgate and power window that rolls into the roof? I saw that in the body manual and thought it was a neat design. If so, do you plan for the covered portion to retract also? I guess if I saw some pictures it would be more evident; got any?
As far as major changes to what's already there, I won't be doing those kinds of changes. However, that is the style of station wagon I'm buying over in Garland. I may do some work to make it so I don't have to use a key in order to open/close it. I'd rather put it on a remote key fob. I will keep the switches in the dash however as a backup. I don't have any pics of the actual car yet and only have my "sedan delivery" thoughts in my head. I'm waiting until I get the car into my possession and then I'm planning on playing with PhotoShop and see my "warped and twisted visions" in full color on a screen.

If you do run across a decent runing Vista, 70-72, please let me know. I live in one of those typical little city houses, so i am out of space for projects. (I still regret not making my garage a tad larger and installing A/C.) A good daily driver that can haul stuff is what I need. My new Caddy will be sold if I do find a good Vista. I prefer all older cars.
I suspected that you were in one of those places that is horrible for guys like us! You need to move out here! It's 90 minutes from Plano and you'd be amazed at how many are moving out here. Thankfully, there is plenty of places still out here that's pure country with no restrictions. I will keep my eyes open for one for you. I see them pop up here, there and usually don't have the cash to buy them. My newest car is a 1992 Cadillac and my oldest is a 1953 Cadillac hearse. Funny thing is....my 1992 is sitting dead at the moment and two of my old cars run!

You may also be able to help me with locating boneyards with older cars; sounds like you know a few. Around here, it is '90 and up... What older cars that can be found are often beyond use.
Shoot me a private message and I will reply with all my information. I can't tell you of how many places I know of with old cars in them. I also hear about them all the time too. Found out about yet another one about 1.5 hours to the west of here. In the front of the yard, 30's to 50's, behind the barn....muscle cars and into mid-70's including land yatchs.

I am actually east of Plano in a tiny town that used to be in "rural" TX 10 years ago. The city came in and invaded my territory. It turned to crap overnight almost - I hate it now...
I remember when Trophy Club was a "city" in name only and Grapevine didn't have a "historical district". I also remember Plano, Frisco and all those places were nothing more than farmer's fields with an occasional housing development here and there. I knew it was going to tun into where it has expanded now. I even remember when you drove from Fort Worth to Dallas, there was definitiion between cities on I-30....last time I was out there, I couldn't tell.
Old May 29th, 2009, 06:59 PM

very inspiring thread..it makes me want to do it with my nissan oem parts..

Last edited by kurtdaniel; June 1st, 2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old May 30th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Builder of the strange

Originally Posted by kurtdaniel
very inspiring thread..it makes me want to do what youre doing...
I wished I could say that I'm making progress in my various projects, but that isn't the case at the moment. A couple of weeks ago, I underwent major open heart surgery to have my aortic valve replaced and so all my car projects are now currently on hold.

I've always felt that anyone can do anything they put their mind to. Granted, some of what I'm doing does require some excellent fabrication skills, but overall, this particular project is more of being able to put together a jigsaw puzzle to some degree. I've got other projects however that will be requiring a LOT of fabrication skill. I'm putting together the donor vehicles to build a last gen-RWD Cadillac Fleewood station wagon as well. Granted, the Fleetwood is basically the same car as either a Roadmonster wagon or even a Caprice, but there are some MAJOR changes that will need to take place.
Old May 30th, 2009, 06:23 AM

Dang, man! Sorry to hear about what you have gone through - best wishes and get well soon! I was wondering how these projects were coming along... Take care of yourself now and use the recovery time to do the project planning. It sounds like the operation went well and you are up and around now. Do keep us posted after the process begins!