Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1949 olds plexiglass hood

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2010, 11:21 PM
1956 holiday coupe

1949 olds plexiglass hood

ck this out, only seen one on a picture of a red car at a dealer a long time ago

on ebay right now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1949-...item53e2ccd7e3
Old September 17th, 2010, 02:30 AM
Registered

Those are cool.
A guy at our local cruise has the dealer display hood with engine viewing windows on each side.
A clear molded plexiglass OAI hood on my Vista Cruiser would be really cool, and totally pointless.

I really dig that old banana bike behind the hood in the pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
clear hood.jpg (34.7 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by Bluevista; September 17th, 2010 at 02:34 AM.
Old September 17th, 2010, 07:41 AM

That's way cool. Be a bitch to keep up though
Old September 17th, 2010, 11:14 AM

COOL!

I wonder if one of those could be made using the original as a template?
Old September 17th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Past Administrator

Valuable not only for historical purposes but it would be cool on a custom that had an engine with lots and lots of chrome!
Old September 17th, 2010, 11:13 PM
1956 holiday coupe

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Those are cool.
A guy at our local cruise has the dealer display hood with engine viewing windows on each side.
A clear molded plexiglass OAI hood on my Vista Cruiser would be really cool, and totally pointless.

I really dig that old banana bike behind the hood in the pic.
nice pic, btw pointless maybe but definitely cool and unique

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Valuable not only for historical purposes but it would be cool on a custom that had an engine with lots and lots of chrome!
or some crazy carb set up
Old September 21st, 2010, 07:25 AM

I have THREE: All-Plexiglass that fits 1949 "98" ONLY, All-Plexi that fits '49, '50 "88" and '51 "88A", and a STEEL one with plexiglass inserts that can be raised and lowered. I bought the last one because it was advertised as for a '50 "88"; found out through measurements sent to Eddie Rezac that it fits a 1951 "Super 88" and ALL 52's. I've had an ad for it "for sale" in (~every 3rd) "Round-Up" magazine that comes out twice a month (a couple of Nigerian "scammers" made an attempt to "con" me out of $2K) + had it on e-bay last week with only one offer of $195 (declined).
Am looking for the 4-page installation instructions for mounting the "All-Plexi" on an "88" (HAVE the instructions for a "98", but hood hinges are different). The FIRST page of Instructions states "Along with your glass hood is a cloth bag with all the FITTINGS you will need to attach it"...I have NO hope of EVER finding THAT item!
Am planning on having 8-10 of my mechanical-genius Cruise buds over at the end of THIS Cruise season or before the beginning of 2011 season to figure the BEST way to mount it on my stock '50 "88" 4-door. I'd like to "campaign" it at least ONE Cruise season! CRUZ
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:07 AM

It would be cool to see pics of those hoods you have cruzmeister!
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
It would be cool to see pics of those hoods you have cruzmeister!
I'd be HAPPY to mail pictures to anyone who has the ability to post them; am TOO OLD to learn how, either here or on the Corvette Forum...anyone wanna send me your "addy"?
CRUZ
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:04 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Sure you could. It wouldn't be cheap but they could make a mould of the original hood and vacuform the plexi piece.

Originally Posted by Olds64
COOL!

I wonder if one of those could be made using the original as a template?
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by cruzmeisters
I'd be HAPPY to mail pictures to anyone who has the ability to post them; am TOO OLD to learn how, either here or on the Corvette Forum...anyone wanna send me your "addy"?
CRUZ

PM sent
Old September 21st, 2010, 04:30 PM

forget the hood. .I want that bicycle behind it.. I used to have access to one growing up. .fun to ride with the rear pivoting wheel..
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:15 AM

Cruzemeisters Hoods

Here are the pictures e-mailed to me by the man himself. Enjoy
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Here are the pictures e-mailed to me by the man himself. Enjoy
citcapp - Thanks for posting; I'm sure other readers of this thread appreciate it. The one with the gold paint - with the hood ornament attached - is, of course, for the '49 "98". Sure would like to sell the steel one; takes up a lot of space in the area above the frame surrounding the '62 Corvette. Before anyone asks: I bought the '62 Vette in 1967 for $1600. It had a 283 from a "civilian" Chevy in it instead of the (first-year) 327. Didn't matter to me...figured I'd keep it for a year, get "Corvette ownership" outta my system & sell it for a 100 bucks less than I paid for it. FORTY-THREE years later...
In 2000 I put a "crate" ZZ4 in it, tho originally it was a "feulie" (the correct fuel injection system is on a shelf to the left of the glass "88" hood.
Sorry to interject another brand vehicle in an "all-Olds" Forum.
My FIRST car was a '50 Olds "88" 4-dr., light green, purchased in 1955 at age 18 (before you take your shoes off and start counting on your toes...I'm 73 years old!)
In 1961 I bought a dark blue '50 "88" coupe and the 1:18 "ERTL" model exactly like it rests above my pc as we speak.
In 1995 a buddy sold me a light blue (painted w/brush & roller) '50 "88" 4-dr. "beater" that I left in the driveway every Summer - never took it to a Cruise - and if I had to go shopping at a Mall, I would take IT because you wouldn't be able to tell if someone put a door against it!
Pulling into my driveway in October 1999, I got "rear-ended"/totalled with the frame bent in 3 places. If you watched the NBC made-for-TV "The TEMPTATIONS" movie filmed in Pittsburgh in 1998, the hood, hood ornament, front fender can be seen in the opening scene; later, when a '54 Plymouth comes rolling down the street as the "stars" are raking leaves, it can be seen "parked". The cameras sure made it look GOOD! I "sat" on the insurance pay-off until Franklin Graf e-mailed me 11/05 about my current '50 "88" 4-dr being available in Dayton, Ohio. It is - by far - the BEST of all four "88's" I've owned. "Thank You" to Allen Partin for selling it to me and allowing me to be the "current caretaker" of the "ROCKET 88"! CRUZ
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:51 PM
1956 holiday coupe

Originally Posted by cruzmeisters
citcapp - Thanks for posting; I'm sure other readers of this thread appreciate it. The one with the gold paint - with the hood ornament attached - is, of course, for the '49 "98". Sure would like to sell the steel one; takes up a lot of space in the area above the frame surrounding the '62 Corvette. Before anyone asks: I bought the '62 Vette in 1967 for $1600. It had a 283 from a "civilian" Chevy in it instead of the (first-year) 327. Didn't matter to me...figured I'd keep it for a year, get "Corvette ownership" outta my system & sell it for a 100 bucks less than I paid for it. FORTY-THREE years later...
In 2000 I put a "crate" ZZ4 in it, tho originally it was a "feulie" (the correct fuel injection system is on a shelf to the left of the glass "88" hood.
Sorry to interject another brand vehicle in an "all-Olds" Forum.
My FIRST car was a '50 Olds "88" 4-dr., light green, purchased in 1955 at age 18 (before you take your shoes off and start counting on your toes...I'm 73 years old!)
In 1961 I bought a dark blue '50 "88" coupe and the 1:18 "ERTL" model exactly like it rests above my pc as we speak.
In 1995 a buddy sold me a light blue (painted w/brush & roller) '50 "88" 4-dr. "beater" that I left in the driveway every Summer - never took it to a Cruise - and if I had to go shopping at a Mall, I would take IT because you wouldn't be able to tell if someone put a door against it!
Pulling into my driveway in October 1999, I got "rear-ended"/totalled with the frame bent in 3 places. If you watched the NBC made-for-TV "The TEMPTATIONS" movie filmed in Pittsburgh in 1998, the hood, hood ornament, front fender can be seen in the opening scene; later, when a '54 Plymouth comes rolling down the street as the "stars" are raking leaves, it can be seen "parked". The cameras sure made it look GOOD! I "sat" on the insurance pay-off until Franklin Graf e-mailed me 11/05 about my current '50 "88" 4-dr being available in Dayton, Ohio. It is - by far - the BEST of all four "88's" I've owned. "Thank You" to Allen Partin for selling it to me and allowing me to be the "current caretaker" of the "ROCKET 88"! CRUZ
love the collection and great story, I don't think many will get bothered by the sight of a beautiful classic vette on this site
Old September 23rd, 2010, 03:37 AM
Registered

Those are really cool.
I like the car too.
A real nice older lady (older than you cruzmeisters ) with a salmon? colored Corvette like that was parked by me at a car show, I think she bought it new for her kid. She surprised me when I was talking to her and she said that if Corvettes don't have a trunk they're junk.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 04:45 AM

Those are really cool.
I like the car too.
A real nice older lady (older than you cruzmeisters ) with a salmon? colored Corvette like that was parked by me at a car show, I think she bought it new for her kid. She surprised me when I was talking to her and she said that if Corvettes don't have a trunk they're junk.
I have a t-shirt - that I bought MANY years ago - that reads "REAL Corvettes have TRUNKS", but it had to be put away in 1998 when GM/Chevrolet began producing the '98 convertible with a trunk...
Old April 20th, 2014, 06:15 PM

olds plexiglass dealer hood

I have one of the 1949 olds rocket plexiglass dealer display hoods for sale in nh if anyone is interested.
Old April 20th, 2014, 06:44 PM

if they don't have a trunk they're junk.
That's how I feel about my ladies. No trunk than she's out of luck!
Old April 21st, 2014, 08:49 AM

A LONG (boring!) update to my "glass hood" posts:
Right before the 2011 Cruise "season" began, a couple of "gear-head" buds stopped at the house & asked if they could "take measurements" of the hood. I told them to go ahead and I went back to whatever else I was doing. I next heard "tortured metal" and realized they were removing the steel hood from the '50. Utilizing holes already in the cowl & pins in the radiator shroud, they successfully installed the glass hood.
TWO HOURS after they left, a '51 OLDS owner from Lansing, MI. stopped & BOUGHT the steel hood with the 2 plexiglass panels, which I had been advertising in "ROUND-UP" magazine for EIGHTEEN months!
The Cruise season began and - not knowing what road use might do to the "Showroom Use Only" hood - I did NOT have it painted body color...I left it "maroon". This worked out, as fellow Cruisers who had been seeing the '50 for the past 5 seasons would NOT have paid any attention to it if they viewed it from a distance and didn't notice any difference. Seeing a maroon hood on the blue Olds, most figured I had been in a wreck and came over for the "gory" details, then discovered they could view the ROCKET V8!
Driving the OLDS the usual 4K miles in 2011 the hood survived with no problems in spite of 96 degree days + body "twisting" and pot-hole "jars".
For 2012 I DID get it painted. 6 Older Cruise guys in the past 3 years told me that they actually saw the hoods affixed to Oldsmobiles in showrooms in 1949!
It's always great to see "anti-four door" ("too many doors") spectators start to walk by the '50, the STOP DEAD in their tracks and become amazed!
It's a PITA to have to remove the hood to check fluids (thank God I can check the tranny fluid from the front floor-board access panel) and the one mis-hap I had was when I tightened down the one cowl-screw all the way and then began to tighten the opposite side...it CRACKED from the screw-hole to the edge nearest the windshield, about 2"! Thoroughly disgusted (due to my STUPIDITY) I went back to my repair garage guy and told him I wanted to put the steel hood back on. He told me that the car gets a LOT of attention with the glass hood and said he'd repair it FOR FREE! He re-inforced the underside nearest the cowl and the front nearest the grille, epoxied the crack...but I had to shell out $72 at an automobile body repair store for "matching paint", using a "meter"!
Though I took the '57 (Pink) Lincoln 4-dr H/T to the 31st annual Dublin, Ohio Arthritis Charity Show for the first time in 2013, I am hoping to take the OLDS this July, being that I just had tranny seals, fuel pump & carb re-build done.
With all that said, I'd like to sell the remaining (gold) plexiglass hood, which fits ONLY a 1949 "98". There's been a "NOS" one on e-bay for YEARS at $795: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-49-OLDS-OLDSMOBILE-PROMO-CLEAR-PLEXIGLASS-NOS-HOOD-/360287360995?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessorie s&hash=item53e2ccd7e3&vxp=mtr#ht_2266wt_786 anyone who wants to drive to Pittsburgh, PA. could have mine for $550...
O.K., everybody: WAKE UP! I know I put "yunz" to sleep!
AGAIN...if "CITCAPP" would post photos for me, please send me your e-mail "addy" as I lost all my files in my "Great Computer Crash of 2012"!

Ron/Cruz
Old April 21st, 2014, 12:02 PM

crusmeisters Glass hood

pictures
Old April 21st, 2014, 12:05 PM

More pictures

Pictures
Old April 21st, 2014, 12:08 PM

more pictures

pictures
Old April 21st, 2014, 12:14 PM

More pictures

pictures
Old April 21st, 2014, 12:18 PM

Thanks for posting the photos, Pat! Ron
Old May 5th, 2014, 05:22 PM

I also have a plexi hood. While living in Cambridge , Mass in the mid 70's I answered an ad in a local swap paper for one, I believe I paid all of $15 from a fellow who said there had been quite a few in the area and all of the area kids had used them to slide down the hills in the winter. I had always wanted a 49 Olds and thought it would be great to have if I found one. I did find the Olds in 1991 or so and after a year or two I thought maybe I should try it- that's when I measured and found it to be a bit long! obviously for a 98! oh well, here it is 40 years later and I still have , traveled from Boston and a number of homes here in Florida, but there it is and it is still great to see it up there in the rafters every time I go into my garage.. now I could go for a '49 98 fastback... maybe if I ever get the '34 done! Dave
Old January 6th, 2015, 04:39 PM

A display hood .... Crazy .....

Well that is answer #1 to my search for info on our newest rust bucket..
I thought someone cut the hood, but I see here that it is a display head.

We just saved a 1949 olds 88 with one of these hoods and a complete rocket motor under the hood.

Thanks for all the great info here
Old January 8th, 2015, 05:59 PM

Here are pics of my hood
Attached Images