Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Rear Wheel Skirting: Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2009, 10:49 PM

Rear Wheel Skirting: Yes or No?

I have personally admired rear wheel skirts on 57 Oldsmobiles. How are skirts generally viewed at car shows and where do you go to get them (if they can be had without going custom)?
Old September 1st, 2009, 02:47 AM
Registered

I really like fender skirts myself, make the car look totally different, a lot more classy.
Some guys hate the things, sort of the same deal as the vinyl woodgrain on wagons, people either love it or hate it, not many are indifferent.

The car has to have some class to begin with for them to look right and 50's cars look the best with skirts IMO, your car qualifies nicely Dan.

http://fenderskirtdepot.com/Oldsmobile/

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Oldsmobile-...-600013079.jcw
Old September 1st, 2009, 02:49 AM

Cool Skirts

Personally I like skirts...on a '57 the 98's have longer skirts than the 88's...they can be found on e-bay...I have a pair of fibreglass skirts for my Olds but I am not putting them on...I will wait to get metal skirts by Foxcraft...That's a nice looking car you have there, by the way
Old September 1st, 2009, 05:56 AM

Don't put aftermarket fender skirts on your car. If it didn't come with them it will just make the car look odd. I didn't know 88s came with fender skirts. I thought only 98s came with fender skirts. Your car looks cool the way it is, but it is your car do what you want.
Old September 1st, 2009, 06:40 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I grew up with fender skirts. They were really a 50's thing. I think they look great on some cars. Personally, I think they would look great on your 57. It is just a matter of taste and it is your car. You will probably find about as many people that like them as not. I even remember seeing them on pickup trucks. Did not care for those.

Last edited by redoldsman; March 4th, 2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old September 1st, 2009, 08:23 AM

My friend who also has a 57 Olds has fender skirts that are easily removed. It would be an desirable option. I would like the option of removing them whenever I wanted verses always having them in place. I agree with YS that metal skirts are a pick over the fiberglass.

Thanks for all of your replies.
Dan

Last edited by Dan Wirth; September 1st, 2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old September 1st, 2009, 08:27 AM

I have fender skirts for my 57 Super 88 and I liked them with the stock hub caps and the 14" wheels I think it made the car look period correct. Since I changed to 15" wire wheels I now like the car better without the skirts. Either way looks great on the 57 I think
Old September 1st, 2009, 08:55 AM

Apparently in the 50s the car would look good without skirts (if they were supposed to have them). I know my 71 98 looks naked without the fender skirts. The rear wheel well is molded to accept the fender skirt so the fender is flush.
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:08 AM

MY Olds with skirts, I will take a picture today with the wire wheels and post it for comparrison
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0737.jpg (52.5 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by citcapp; September 1st, 2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:32 AM
Oldsdruid

Personal preference. The 56-63 cars appear racier to me without them, but a well-designed pair can accent a car's length. I do NOT like them on 1961-62 Oldsmobiles- makes them look stubby.

I have a pair of stainless skirts for the green Starfire that I'll put on it sometimes for a cruise night, but I can't use the wire caps with them as there's like 1/2" clearance between skirt and spinner and I'm not willing to risk either one- they cost too much!

For the skirts I have a set of the big heavy 1964 3-bar diecast wheelcovers, but to me that car looks its best with the factory wires and no skirts.

1964-76 and 1980-84 Ninety Eights are designed for skirts and without them, there's a big unfinished area that just looks wrong without skirts. However- if one could modify a pair of factory skirts a la 1969-70 Riviera or late 70s Continental Town Car narrow skirts, I think a 71-76 especially could pull off that look.
Old September 1st, 2009, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
I have fender skirts for my 57 Super 88 and I liked them with the stock hub caps and the 14" wheels I think it made the car look period correct. Since I changed to 15" wire wheels I now like the car better without the skirts. Either way looks great on the 57 I think
Do you mind me asking why you changed to 15" wheels? On my car are 14" with radial Coker tires and I don't think I could ask for a smoother ride...

Thanks,
Dan
Old September 1st, 2009, 03:58 PM
1956 holiday coupe

Originally Posted by Dan Wirth
I have personally admired rear wheel skirts on 57 Oldsmobiles. How are skirts generally viewed at car shows and where do you go to get them (if they can be had without going custom)?
This is just like the picnic table continental kits I love them some people would rather be shot than having them but I say go for it 57's look great with skirts we have one in our local hang out with stainless ones looks amazing next time I see it I'll snap some for you
Old September 1st, 2009, 04:01 PM
1956 holiday coupe

Originally Posted by citcapp
MY Olds with skirts, I will take a picture today with the wire wheels and post it for comparrison
never mind they look just like these citcapp posted these are badddddd, I wonder if 56 had stainless ones
Old September 1st, 2009, 05:22 PM
olds..older..oldest

well dressed in skirts

New guy Z3d has pics of his Olds 98 in skirts and it looks like a real "Road Empress " with them!...Derek
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:01 AM

Any comments on how cars with skirts are judged at the car shows?
Thanks for your replies,
Dan
Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:48 PM
1956 holiday coupe

Originally Posted by Dan Wirth
Any comments on how cars with skirts are judged at the car shows?
Thanks for your replies,
Dan
how could it hurt, more accessories always a plus
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:42 PM

In my opinion I prefer the looks of skirts on a fully loaded luxury car like the 98, I'd keep them off the 88 for originality, keep it OG.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 07:05 PM

Hey folks,
Just curious... Were the 55 88's ever equiped with skirts from the factory?
As I have gathered from the thread apparently there are after-market suppliers for skirts for any make/age {wether it adds stylish looks or makes the car look silly is purely personal taste} but did Olds actually "issue" the 55 88 with skirts?... Just curious.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:17 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The Super 88 came with skirts while I think the standard 88 did not. The 55 skirts were very different than the 54 skirts in that they actually had a cutout in them to give the appearance of a small wheelwell opening.
Old November 4th, 2009, 05:33 AM

Thanks for the clarification redoldsman. I do like skirts on some models but not so much on others. Another question... Is there a way to tell if I have a Super 88 or a standard 88? How do you distinguish between the two?
Must admit when I first purchased my 55 from the original owner in 2003 I was under impression it was a "2-door post" but after some due dilligence I have come to realize it's not a "post" but a "coupe"... subtle difference between the two but different none the less. I'll eventually get a few snapshots of my 55 and will post them for you {and others to see} so you can also make a better determination as-to to model etc.
Thanks for the dialog,
Artdlr
Old November 4th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Oldsdruid

1955 is a strange year on the skirts. Each 1955 bodystyle uses the same quarter-panel stampings as the comparable 54, but the trim and two-toning make the two years look radically different from each other.

1954s with factory fender skirt option had skirts that fully covered the wheel opening. To get a different and updated look (important in the 50s), the 1955 skirt filled the wheel opening along the top edge, but the skirt itself had a teardrop opening to partially expose the wheel/tire. It's hard to describe unless you can see the two years side by side.

But yes, most 1955 Oldsmobiles except for very low-line 88s came with fender skirts.

The 88 and Super 88 have different VIN. A 1955 88 VIN starts with 557, a Super 88 VIN starts with 558, a Ninety Eight starts with 559. Supers also have four-barrel carb engines. It was optional on 88.

Look on your body data plate underhood. It will show as an example STYLE 55-3611. 88 body styles are identified as: 3611 two door sedan (post), 3637 Holiday Coupe (two door hardtop no post), 3669 four door sedan (post), 3639 Holiday Sedan (four door hardtop no post). Super 88s add a D suffix to the bodystyle number except convertibles DTX and Holiday Sedan SD.
Old November 4th, 2009, 08:23 AM

I think skirts look great on most big 50's and 60's cars. A couple of my favorites would be the 66 98 Olds and 66 Pontiac Gran Prix with the skirts in place. It's like they need them to finish the designers intent of how he wanted the car to look.
Old November 4th, 2009, 09:44 AM

Hey rocketraider, Thanks for the info... I looked a the title for the vin# and discovered it begins with 558, up till now I was unaware of the number sequence difference, Thanks again.
Will inspect the body plate this evening when I return home to look for confirmation on the post, coup determination. I'm fairly sure it's a coup as I was informed once the obvious difference between the coup and the post is the permanant "bar" between the back windows and the front windows when they are rolled down. If it has the permanent bar then it's a "post" if there's no bar when all the windows are rolled down then it's a coup {if it's a 2-door of course}. Am I correct?
Old November 4th, 2009, 09:52 AM

Another silly question but if most 55 88's did indeed come factory with the skirts {in-place} why would they be removed?, what purpose would that serve??... besides the style change. Was there an underlying "flaw" in the performance of the skirt which would make a reason the owners would have removed the skirts?
Similar issues are present with my restored 77 Harley Davidson FLH Hydra-Glide. I have removed {or left off during the restoration} items that were/are perpetually problematic for the 70's model FLH's. I took the initiative to remove the "problem parts" as a precaution which leads me to wonder if similar issues were/are part of the reason skirts are not generally present with the 55 88's I've seen.
Just pondering.
Old November 4th, 2009, 11:01 AM

Hi Dan
I like the look of skirts on the 57.
I have a set for my 63 98 both painted and stainless and add them whenever I feel like it.
Just my two cents worth and what ever you choose it will be the right choice for you.
Old November 17th, 2009, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Oldskeeper
Hi Dan
I like the look of skirts on the 57.
I have a set for my 63 98 both painted and stainless and add them whenever I feel like it.
Just my two cents worth and what ever you choose it will be the right choice for you.
I like the idea of both types, but am leaning more towards skirts painted the same color as my car. Easy on and off is also important.

Last edited by Dan Wirth; November 18th, 2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:32 AM

The painted ones look funny on my car because of the wheel well moulding,they would look good on an 88 instead but I still like them.The stainless ones match the moulding and look sharp,both sets are foxcraft and can be installed quite easily without having to add clips or drilling holes.The next time I have them on I'll take a few pics for you.
Steve
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:45 PM

The right skirts on the right car add a lot to the lines. on the 57 I think it makes mine look longer and lower. I have chrome but would like the painted just as well.
Old November 26th, 2009, 07:31 AM

Thanks folks for your comments. I will be looking forward to the photos.
Old November 26th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have never been a fan of stainless skirts on most cars. I am not a big fan of continental kits on most cars either but that is just my opinion. I think a pair painted skirts would look great on your 57 Dan. It all comes down to personal preference. It is your car and make it look the way you like it. I can't imagine how skirts would hurt you at a show. If anything, I think they would help.

Last edited by redoldsman; March 4th, 2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:04 AM

Thanks for your comments.
Old November 27th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan,
Are you trying to make your car look like this?

Personally, I think it looks very nice. Especially with the color matched skirts.

Although, depending on how the car presents itself, skirts aren't really that important on the car. They're more important in the car beside the driver

Old November 27th, 2009, 06:48 PM

My head thinking skirts on a car??? I must be getting too old...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I like the same color skirts best and will shoot for my car ending up with them, but don't particularly want the continental kit, as it elongates the car way past my garage door line. But it does look sweet!

Nice photos Allan. I really like that copper color.
Old November 29th, 2009, 03:57 PM
1956 holiday coupe

Originally Posted by Allan R
Dan,
Are you trying to make your car look like this?

Personally, I think it looks very nice. Especially with the color matched skirts.

Although, depending on how the car presents itself, skirts aren't really that important on the car. They're more important in the car beside the driver
skirts both inside and outside of a car are a must, btw what a beautiful example picture
Old March 4th, 2013, 04:47 PM

I have a 1955 olds 88 sedan, i just found a pair of 54 fender skirts, with weather seal still in great shape and undercoating! I'm not sure how these attach to the fender? Any ideas? I know there is a hole for a bolt, but is there something they are supposed to attach to at the top?
Old March 4th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

All that should be required is a 1/2 inch bolt at the rear of the skirt. It uses a 3/4" socket which is probably the same as the lug nuts which would enable you to use the lug wrench to remove the skirts. Maybe there was a special bolt but I used regular bolts on the 54. If you are interested, I have a pair of 55 skirts with fresh white paint on them.
Old March 4th, 2013, 09:12 PM

So how does the skirt stay attached in the middle? is there some sort of clip? Let me know? how much are you asking for the skirts? gasket?
Old March 5th, 2013, 01:52 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by Switch Blade Betties
So how does the skirt stay attached in the middle? is there some sort of clip? Let me know? how much are you asking for the skirts? gasket?
PM sent
Old March 5th, 2013, 09:23 AM

I like skirts on a 55 but don't on 56's but do on 57's . for me it all has to do with how the body lines flow and if that flow is interrupted by the skirts or not, not much of a fan of stainless skirts on much of anything.

As far as skirts used as a accessory helping win a car show it depends completely on the type of car show and how it is judged. If it's a strict points judged type show you are probably technically better off with out any accessory, just that many fewer items to find something to drop a point or two on. On the other hand if it's a show and shine or similar type show The more bling the better. They are two completely different games that look the same until you play them......Tedd
Old March 5th, 2013, 10:43 AM

I had skirts on my 57 but changed to larger tires with wide whites and old style 15" wire wheels for my disc brakes.

I like it better with the wire wheels and no skirts. But saved the skirts if I want to go back at a later date

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Skirting: Yes or No?