Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Worked on the 55’ tonight

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2020, 07:56 PM

Worked on the 55’ tonight

Got the radiator/condenser/intake manifold/valley pan and oil pan off. Probably a good thing the engine is stuck because if I would have tried to start it if it were free there would have been no oil pressure, the screen is completely plugged with varnish and some sort of hard carbon looking substance. No shortage of sludge in the oil pan, someone must have changed the oil when the car was put up, it was clean until about the last 1/3 came out with sludge. I’d like to get it rotating so I can disconnect it from the trans. It’s been pretty fun so far!!

Note the 2 dead mice that were under the intake manifold.

Oil pick up with the screen out.
Old January 2nd, 2020, 08:03 PM
Administrator

If it were me, I'd pop the heads off, spray the tops of the pistons with penetrating oil, and tap on them with a mallet to see if they will break loose while turning on the crank. The engine needs to be blown apart anyway.
Old January 2nd, 2020, 08:22 PM

That’s my weekend plan

Hoping to get the heads off this weekend, the evaporator looks like it might make it a little more difficult but I think with the heads off, when I remove the engine and trans from the car I won’t have to worry so much about damaging it.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 05:11 PM
Phantom Phixer

Now , would be the best time to remove the engine and trans from the car .
It will make the engine dis-assembly much easier .
Old January 3rd, 2020, 08:04 PM

Got the passenger side head off

Not too horrible of a job, I forgot how heavy those heads are, I was 20 the last time I pulled one, that was 20 years ago. The piston that is at the top is free, I can wiggle it ever so slightly, the other 3 are stuck pretty well, the marvel mystery oil barely made its way down. Hopefully I’ll have time for the driver side tomorrow, this one might have to stay on though until the engine is out, with the evaporator housing in place I don’t think the push rods will pull out. I don’t want to disturb anything in the box If I don’t have to.

Old January 4th, 2020, 12:00 AM

Good luck with all the work -- wintertime is the perfect time for a winter project!!!!
Hopefully, you will be able to finish by spring, so you can drive it during the season.

Let me know if you need pistons, piston rings, etc., etc.
When you get back to the heads, let me know if you need rocker arms, push rods, etc., etc.

And keep in mind that I HAVE that one set of sixteen (16) N.O.S. O.E.M. ++ G M ++ Valve Lifters and a N.O.S. U.S.A. made Camshaft for that motor !!!!!!!
(While many have asked, fondled, and SAID they wanted them, I STILL OWN THEM.....)

Always best to simply call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935... West Hempstead, Long Island,
New York. Yours, Craig