Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Running Engine and Exhaust, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2020, 12:05 PM

Running Engine and Exhaust, thoughts?

Hello all, brakes feel decent, engine is running and I can pulled out of the garage and back in. Time to take it around the block. I wanted to get your thoughts on how the engine sounds and why does the exhaust spit so much water?

Engine:

Exhaust:

Thank you everyone,
Old December 6th, 2020, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Engine sounds good on my crummy laptop. The water is condensation, perfectly normal.
Old December 6th, 2020, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Engine sounds good on my crummy laptop. The water is condensation, perfectly normal.
Awesome, thank you!
Old December 6th, 2020, 02:12 PM
Running On Empty

I believe it has excessive lifter/tappet noise. I don't know what engine is in the '57 Super 88 and/or whether it has hydraulic lifters or manual solid lifters - but I hear what appears to be excessive lifter noise.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; December 6th, 2020 at 02:15 PM.
Old December 6th, 2020, 02:24 PM

Also hear what sounds like tappet noise. If it has been sitting for an extended period it may go away if it is tappets. Be sure the oil is full and clean, consider Rotella or Delo15W-40 diesel "C" rated oils.
​​​​​​Good luck!!!
Old December 6th, 2020, 02:48 PM
Oldsdruid

Change oil and filter, use Rotella or equivalent and substitute a quart of transmission fluid, blue Rislone or Marvel Mystery Oil for one quart of of oil. Drive car a few hundred miles and change oil and filter again the same way. If it doesn't quiet down, mechanical wear.

Could possibly be an exhaust leak.

Do yourself a favor and if the exhaust is still routed thru the bumper ends, reroute it so it doesn't. You'll save what appear to be decent condition exhaust ports.
Old December 6th, 2020, 06:18 PM

Exhaust moisture will probably clear up once the system gets completely up to temperature. If you haven't run it for any extended time there will be quite a bit of condensation collected....Tedd
Old December 7th, 2020, 04:53 PM

I actually wouldn't be surprised if its tappet noise, when I had the manifold off one of the push rods was every so slightly loose. Most likely a proper rebuild will address it though I will do another oil change in the coming weeks. I like the idea of rerouting the exhaust but it might be already, I will double check. I will recheck all the fluid levels and find where the radiator fluid leak is near the AC unit. I plan to put the front bumper back on, along with the hood and air cleaner. I also need to check the carb, the choke valve appears to be staying open.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice. I hope to drive it to work (25 miles) in the coming weeks before properly putting it away for winter and making plans for the rebuild.