Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Dual-Range Hydra-Matic Transmission follow up inf and PDF’s

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2023, 04:45 PM

Dual-Range Hydra-Matic Transmission follow up inf and PDF’s

Below listed are PDF’s from Paul Marsh HM 1001 manual, along with specialty tool listings and an additional Kent-Moore publication that can be printed out.

FYI: Found a very good thread regarding above-noted subject matter in Classic Oldsmobile (CO) from Dec. 2014. Note contribution by ‘Ozzie’, very knowledgeable.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ts-hard-87130/

Below listed are PDF’s from Paul Marsh HM 1001, SECTION FIVE –SubSections VIII, IX, X respectively. This is the recommended inf within the publications that provide inf regarding frequent inquiries on CO dealing with shift harshness, interval of shifts, etc., Throttle Lever Alignment, Throttle Linkage Alignment, and Selector (gearshift) lever Linkage Adjustment, along with listing of Specialty Tools from two sources. The first are part of these Paul Marsh, HM 1001 PDF’s . The second listed below is from Kent-Moore. The application of these tools can be model year specific ie. there are numerous different ‘Throttle Alignment Tools’ for the same function, depending on the model year.

Next: KENT-MOORE Publication: THE HYDRA-MATIC TRANSMISSION 1946-1955, ON-THE-CAR-ADJUSTMENT SERVICE MANUAL

I bought it along with the HM 1001 Manual, but decided to do a search and found it avail for printing. Interesting enough when I googled it, I found a printable version ‘PontiacSafari’ listed below. This PDF version is a complete manual. Compared it to the one I purchased. Hope you can go directly, otherwise you may have copy/paste

https://www.pontiacsafari.com/L1Gara...ic_1946-55.pdf

It was even listed on "Vintage MoParts" (Mopar? huh?).

https://www.vintagemoparts.com/produ...ce-manual-pdf/

SECTION THREE: SubSections: VII, VIII, IX deals with the similar above noted three HM 1001 subsections. (The gearshift lever position indicator on the steering column is from a Pontiac.)

And finally, it includes another listing of Specialty Tools, (manual pages 72-73). I haven’t had time to check if one listing is more complete than the other.

The availability of said Specialty Tools is unknown.

Hope this helps
Old December 7th, 2023, 09:56 AM
74 2.8L Capri

Thanks for doing to work on this.
Old December 7th, 2023, 10:26 AM

Your welcome.

But I had to humorously tell my wife I was having ‘flashbacks’ to when I was in college years ago researching sources for a paper…Bummer, man! !
Old December 8th, 2023, 05:32 PM
74 2.8L Capri

Originally Posted by Dad-Par
Your welcome.

But I had to humorously tell my wife I was having ‘flashbacks’ to when I was in college years ago researching sources for a paper…Bummer, man! !
I stopped in my transmission place this afternoon to bring them the on car service manual. They were very happy! Guess the issue they were having......hard 2-3 shift!!
Old December 10th, 2023, 05:44 PM
Tool Freek

Originally Posted by Dad-Par
Your welcome.

Your to funny,

Thank you for posting this information, it is always help full to all of us members

Bob