Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

56 ignition ballast wire removal

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2015, 01:10 PM

56 ignition ballast wire removal

Hey guys, I have a Pertronix electronic ignition swap for my 56. Want to remove the ballast wire that goes on the coil, how far in the system is it wired? Is it only ballast on the hot side of the coil? And is it just in the engine bay or both sides of the firewall connector?

Thanks in advance.
Old April 11th, 2015, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chris289
Hey guys, I have a Pertronix electronic ignition swap for my 56. Want to remove the ballast wire that goes on the coil, how far in the system is it wired? Is it only ballast on the hot side of the coil? And is it just in the engine bay or both sides of the firewall connector?

Thanks in advance.
The resistor should be a "unit", not a wire. Group 2.173, part 1928016. It's connected between the + side of the coil and the ignition lead, mounted near the coil.
Old April 12th, 2015, 12:38 AM

Ah so it's not like the later cars were it actually has a ballast wire? The car is getting delivered to me on Monday do I've still yet to look at it properly. So the wiring is 12 volts and runs one if these as stock:
http://www.hot-spark.com/Hot-Spark%2...20Resistor.jpg.
Just remove the resistor basically and leave the wiring alone?
Old April 12th, 2015, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Chris289
Ah so it's not like the later cars were it actually has a ballast wire? The car is getting delivered to me on Monday do I've still yet to look at it properly. So the wiring is 12 volts and runs one if these as stock:
www.hot-spark.com/Hot-Spark%20Ballast%20Resistor.jpg.
Just remove the resistor basically and leave the wiring alone?
That is correct. The wiring should be conventional wire. They didn't use the resistor wire until the 1960s. You can do an inspection to confirm it as being "original". If you are planning to keep the car, try to get an Oldsmobile shop manual for 1956. It will answer many questions for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN3064b.JPG (87.9 KB, 6 views)
Old April 12th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

All you have to do is put both wires on the resister on the same terminal. You can leave the resister mounted and I doubt anybody would ever notice both wires are on the same terminal and it would look stock if that matters to you.
Old April 12th, 2015, 09:57 AM

Yes I do plan on getting a manual, but don't currently have one.

Ok I'll check with a mulitmeter then on either side of the resister. This is a much simpler way of doing it and being able to remove it rather than trace the wire back and replace the wiring.

Thanks for that, can't wait to get started.
Old April 12th, 2015, 10:00 AM

I'll just remove it and keep it. I'm not to bothered about originality mechanically wise but looks wise from the outside I'm going to keep it stock looking.
Old April 12th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It doesn't matter which side of the resister you put both wires on. It is very simple and you would still have the resister there in case you ever needed to go back to the points.
Old April 12th, 2015, 02:09 PM

I don't plan on going back to points
Every car I've put electronic ignition on has always ran better and started better, even if there was no actual problem with points set up, the electronic has always made an improvement. I've always read stuff online with people saying the new electronic stuff has packed up after a while and that it's worth keeping the points set up and tools in the trunk but personally I've not had an issue. And with that comment I'm sure this one will pack up after 100 miles and leave me stranded somewhere!
Old April 12th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I don't have the resister on my 54 and don't carry a set of points either. There has always been a lot of debate here on Pertronix vs points. I come down on the side of the Pertronix. No more miles than I put on my car I am sure points would be fine. I have had a Pertronix in my boat for years and no problems.
Old April 13th, 2015, 09:00 AM

I had one in my Land Cruiser till the unit fried and left me in a nasty spot 4 wheeling.I didn't have the points in the glove box but did have my hiking boots and walked three miles out to the road and got a lift home. And that's why Redoldsman and I differ on the merits of the Pertronix, many have gone many miles without problems but when they do happen one tends to remember for a long time...... Tedd
Old April 13th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Tedd:

We will probably always agree to disagree until Pertronix leaves me stranded. If it had done to me what it did to you, I would cuss it forever. If it had left me standed in the middle of the lake, I would hate the thing. This is one of those things that I think the numbers are about equal on each side of the issue. I will admit, at the end of the day, points are probably safer since there is no module to go out.
Old April 13th, 2015, 11:42 AM

I agree it's 6 of one half a dozen of another. If I had been smarter and left a set of points in the glove box I would have had a short ride rather than a long walk but that's a would of could of thing..... Tedd
Old April 13th, 2015, 04:08 PM

"Backups" can be so rewarding, especially with electronically controlled ignitions which often don't give much notice before shutdown.