Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

55 old turnsignal

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2021, 09:16 AM

55 old turnsignal

So the problem i have been having is kinda wierd i gues last week i bought a 55 olds and saw the day after some of the wiring under dash caugt fire in the past so i removed en replaced the burnt wires and now my blinkers somtimes dont work after a drive and during so i got underr the dash and started looking and found out the yellow cabel that goes to the fuse isnt conected to anything and the right turn indicator on the dash has only 1 cabel conected to it but they stil work fine when they do but when i blink to the left only the left 1 blinks as useual but when in turn right the both do.
i bougt a wiring diagram but cant realy figer out how this works so i am hoping some one here can help me out whit this.thanks already if someone does

*update*
so i finaly found the problem so here it goes the yellow wire that goes from the fusebox to the ignition key was cut of and got its power from a heat coil for the elctric choke some one befor me instalt and the + wire that went to that thing was taken from the other wire that goes from the ignition ke to the ignition coil and because af that sometimes it let the power tru so the signals worked and wen the engine was on tempratuer the power would be cut af and so no blinkers wen the engine was warm.
thanks for the help everyone

Last edited by Shervin Louw; May 17th, 2021 at 09:24 AM.
Old April 27th, 2021, 10:51 AM
Banned

Not sure I can help with the wiring but I dig your car.
Old April 27th, 2021, 11:45 AM

First off clean all the body grounds and light socket connectors and bulbs. Anything that carries juice during that turn signal function rear tail lights included. Sounds like the juice is hunting for a ground. Could be a combination of issues with a bad ground and a misplaced wire back feeding to the opposite side. I assume you have a multi meter or some device that you can chase wires and ascertain where the juice is hot and where it stops. Fix where it stops. I hate intermittent electrics but if you can get it to malfunction all the time it will be easier to hunt it down...... Tedd
Old April 27th, 2021, 12:18 PM
Banned

What's the backstory on your car? Was it actually an older race car?
Old April 27th, 2021, 02:37 PM
Frank Ignachuck

That is an outstanding car. I have a '56 wiring diagram, but I don't want to assume that the wire colors are the same for '55. Hopefully someone on here with the '55 diagram can jump in.
Old April 28th, 2021, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
First off clean all the body grounds and light socket connectors and bulbs. Anything that carries juice during that turn signal function rear tail lights included. Sounds like the juice is hunting for a ground. Could be a combination of issues with a bad ground and a misplaced wire back feeding to the opposite side. I assume you have a multi meter or some device that you can chase wires and ascertain where the juice is hot and where it stops. Fix where it stops. I hate intermittent electrics but if you can get it to malfunction all the time it will be easier to hunt it down...... Tedd
Yes i have al the tools for that but like you said its easier to find when its malfunctioning but cant get it to continues malfunction so i was going treu the diagram but stil cant find it but do you know where thr yellow wire from the fusebox is supposed to go to?
Old April 28th, 2021, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
What's the backstory on your car? Was it actually an older race car?
Dont have much of a backstory on it been trying to figure that out to but for as far as i know it wasnt a real race car just been painted this way but with littel oldmobile quotes on it like "make a date whit a rocket 88" and stuf like that.
And i dont know really much els than that it was in ported here in 2015 from the us and has pretty much been siting in a barn since atleast til i bought it
Old April 28th, 2021, 01:37 AM

That Olds is just too awesome for words!
Old April 29th, 2021, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Shervin Louw
do you know where thr yellow wire from the fusebox is supposed to go to?
There is a 16 gauge yellow wire connected to a 9 amp fuse in the fuse block. The 16 gauge end of it goes to the IGN terminal on the IGN STARTER SWITCH. The other end (18 gauge) goes to the fuel and temperature gauges, the hand brake switch for its lamp, and the "B" terminal on the safety starter switch.
Old May 5th, 2021, 08:05 AM

that car looks amazing!!
Old May 6th, 2021, 09:40 AM
74 2.8L Capri

I had a similar issue after a front end restoration. I had to rebuild the L hand front turn signal due to corrosion on the terminal. It was amazing that it worked fine before I took everything apart. I wasn't sure it was going to work. After the rebuild, the Rt front turn signal wasn't working--that was the one that was ok. Not what I was expecting. Swapped turn signals, and the problem stayed put. Big clue.

Sounds like Tedd is on the right track. It took me a while, I had power all the way to the turn signal--which was weird. But 2 parts to the circuit. It turns out, since I had painted everything, I didn't have a good ground from the fender to the rest of the body/frame. Once I cleaned some paint off some of the bolts attaching the fender to the frame, it worked like a charm. So cleaning power might not be enough, use an ohm meter to make sure you have a good ground as well. I also cleaned the engine ground to the firewall, and the battery ground to the engine block. Since then, no other electrical issues other than eating several generators, but that is another story.
Old June 5th, 2021, 07:34 AM

I just love the look of your '55!
Old April 14th, 2022, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Shervin Louw
So the problem i have been having is kinda wierd i gues last week i bought a 55 olds and saw the day after some of the wiring under dash caugt fire in the past so i removed en replaced the burnt wires and now my blinkers somtimes dont work after a drive and during so i got underr the dash and started looking and found out the yellow cabel that goes to the fuse isnt conected to anything and the right turn indicator on the dash has only 1 cabel conected to it but they stil work fine when they do but when i blink to the left only the left 1 blinks as useual but when in turn right the both do.
i bougt a wiring diagram but cant realy figer out how this works so i am hoping some one here can help me out whit this.thanks already if someone does

*update*
so i finaly found the problem so here it goes the yellow wire that goes from the fusebox to the ignition key was cut of and got its power from a heat coil for the elctric choke some one befor me instalt and the + wire that went to that thing was taken from the other wire that goes from the ignition ke to the ignition coil and because af that sometimes it let the power tru so the signals worked and wen the engine was on tempratuer the power would be cut af and so no blinkers wen the engine was warm.
thanks for the help everyone
I dig the looks of your car. Looks like it was an advertising car in Fresno CA at some point.