Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1957 Oil Pan Location and Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2020, 12:53 PM

1957 Oil Pan Location and Suggestions

I've come to ask for more help since I am still new to working on cars, especially Olds. Plus, you guys have been awesome with all the help and advice. I want to change out a couple parts since I'm sure they are leaking, one is the oil pan. Are there any suggestions on the best route to drain and remove the pan, I want to make sure it is in good condition and put new gaskets. And I'm ashamed to ask but can someone describe where it is located. The service manual has been helpful but the oil pan sections don't have any diagrams. Thank you in advance.
Old October 14th, 2020, 02:18 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The oil pan is on the bottom of the engine. It contains the drainplug for draining the oil. If you have the factory service manual it should be pretty clear.
Old October 15th, 2020, 02:47 PM

This is what it looks like. Some don't have the extra round can on the side like this one shows.

Old October 15th, 2020, 02:55 PM
Oldsdruid

What exactly does that can do and what determined whether an engine got it?
Old October 15th, 2020, 03:41 PM

It just holds an extra quart of oil. I have two 57 Oldsmobiles and one has it and one doesn't. Some people say that the J2 tri power motor came with the extra oil can. Others say they just came random on any engine. Go fiqure. It's no big deal either way. Do you have an original 1957 Oldsmobile shop manual? If so, look at page 8-11 on how to remove the oil pan, I assume the engine is still in the car?
Old October 15th, 2020, 05:26 PM

Correct, the engine is still in the car. Awesome, thank you, I appreciate the help, now I know what to look for.
Old October 16th, 2020, 09:32 AM

Does a 57 have a X frame like the earlier Oldsmobiles if so it maybe a hassle for a newbie to get the pan dropped enough to get a new gasket in. I've never owned a 57 so this maybe this isn't a issue.... Tedd
Old October 16th, 2020, 10:35 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Any oil pan is a hassle and a very nasty job. I know I am too dang old to take one on.
Old October 16th, 2020, 10:47 AM

Tedd, i will let you know in a few weeks. I am going to replace mine and just clean out the pan. I don't think the X Frame is a problem. According to the book, you should just have to unbolt the pitman arm support, and remove the cross over pipe,"if you have one", and drop the oil pan. I have been crawling under this thing for about 4 weeks now to remove the trans, install a different trans, remove the second trans and reseal the front pump like i was told was already done, and then instll the trans again. Now doing the brakes and master cylinder. At 74, i am getting to stinking old to be doing this on my back. I guess the old saying is true. "stupid is as stupid does.
Old October 16th, 2020, 07:48 PM

Well on my 55 the last time the pan was off for a rear main seal replacement I had help and it still was a hassle. Engine had to be razed a couple inches then pan pulled to one side and a man with tiny hands worked on the rear main seal. Like tying a knot in a match box. Not a newbie fix I would think....Tedd
Old October 17th, 2020, 05:12 PM

Thanks again everyone, I found the pan and it does have the extra tank on the side. I don't trust the jack stands that I got enough to work under the car for too long. I'm draining it right now. Do most of you have a lift for your cars? If not what do you use so that you can get underneath.
Old October 17th, 2020, 05:44 PM
Oldsdruid

Hydraulic floor jack to raise the vehicle and then jackstands to hold it up. A creeper helps you roll under the car and back out. A rolling tool tray is a nice thing to have too.

Or if you have ramps just drive the car onto them, but they'd probably be quite a bit in the way for this job.

In my redneck youth we used tree stumps, chain falls hung over tree limbs, whatever we could find or hopefully borrow from someone to do undercarriage work. Laying on yer back in dirt, mud, gravel or leaves.

I don't miss it at all.
Old October 17th, 2020, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Hydraulic floor jack to raise the vehicle and then jackstands to hold it up. A creeper helps you roll under the car and back out. A rolling tool tray is a nice thing to have too.

Or if you have ramps just drive the car onto them, but they'd probably be quite a bit in the way for this job.

In my redneck youth we used tree stumps, chain falls hung over tree limbs, whatever we could find or hopefully borrow from someone to do undercarriage work. Laying on yer back in dirt, mud, gravel or leaves.

I don't miss it at all.
Tree stumps, I didn't think about that, I have a wood burning stove so I've got a couple stumps around. Do you usually use 2 jack stands and tire wedges in the back or do you lift the car on 4 jacks?
Old October 17th, 2020, 08:41 PM

I usually (in the past) have used 4 jack stands because it will get you more height and a extra inch is sometimes wonderful. Block the rears if you only use 2 stands and I always use a safety block somewhere in the middle of the car just incase something weird happens we don't want to see you in the obituaries the next time you are in print....Tedd
Old October 17th, 2020, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I usually (in the past) have used 4 jack stands because it will get you more height and a extra inch is sometimes wonderful. Block the rears if you only use 2 stands and I always use a safety block somewhere in the middle of the car just incase something weird happens we don't want to see you in the obituaries the next time you are in print....Tedd
Perfect, I'll give that a try. Yeah, definitely don't want my obituary photo being my legs hanging from underneath the car haha.
Old October 18th, 2020, 10:10 AM

I made a half a dozen of these 40 years ago. Old ford banjo rearend housings and some U shaped channel. They will hold the world up. Also good heavy duty jack stands. I usually leave my floor jack under pressure to, just for added safety. Good luck with your. Just time consuming.

Old October 19th, 2020, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by zzcruzin
I made a half a dozen of these 40 years ago. Old ford banjo rearend housings and some U shaped channel. They will hold the world up. Also good heavy duty jack stands. I usually leave my floor jack under pressure to, just for added safety. Good luck with your. Just time consuming.
Whoa, nicely done, I might have to look into something like that. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.
Old January 29th, 2021, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Does a 57 have a X frame like the earlier Oldsmobiles if so it maybe a hassle for a newbie to get the pan dropped enough to get a new gasket in. I've never owned a 57 so this maybe this isn't a issue.... Tedd
I forgot to follow up with Ted. I just had to drop the pitman arm and left it attached to the steering linkage and let it hang down and removed all the pan bolts and removed the pan. Really a piece of cake except laying on my back, but hey,,,,a guy has to do what he can. Glad i removed it though, since it was about an inch thick of old non detergent sludge. Overall it was not that bad of a job. Now if i can just get this Jetaway working properly.