Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

1940 Business coupe Patch Panels?

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2014, 06:30 PM

Cool New 1940 Olds owner- needs patch panels!

Hello from NJ! Just bought a 1940 Olds Business coupe. It's in pretty good shape but has some some rot on the bottom of the doors. I've been looking around for some patch panels online, but not much luck. Does anyone know of any distributors for this year and model? I'm not going to keep it all original, will probably chop it, but want to take care of the body problems first. Hope someone can help me. Thanks
Old August 20th, 2014, 07:56 AM

Welcome aboard. Doubtful if any after market panels are made for your car, but if you can get a Hollander parts exchange book and see if by chance 40 Chevy doors will interchange, might have a better chance of finding a set of good doors off a Chevy or at least door parts. Few body parts are remanufactured for Oldsmobile of this era.

If you drop on down to the vintage forum where the old Olds people lurke someone may have better answers for you on the pre war era cars or maybe even some parts than will work.....Lost in the fifties....Tedd
Old August 20th, 2014, 03:07 PM

I would think you could used flat sheet metal and cut to size. My brother has a 40 coupe and the doors if I remember are pretty flat?
Old August 20th, 2014, 03:43 PM

Unfortunately, I don't know of any reproduction patch panels for these cars. Your options are: different doors, or taking flat sheet and making it into what you need. Good panel beaters are hard to be found, and even harder to found cheap, and for good reason. A nice english wheel can help you re-create a lot of pieces to keep your coupe alive and looking healthy......Well that, and a lot of pounding, messaging and tack welding!
Old October 21st, 2014, 01:20 PM

You may be able to use some of the panels made for the Chevy or Buicks. Between using pieces of those with a hammer & mig welder, you should be able to make do very well. Most areas can be repaired with flat sheet metal. I am working on a 90 series coupe and have made repair panels when needed. Good luck on yours. Be sure to list any thing that you may need help with. There is much information that this forum can help with. Psmith
Old January 13th, 2022, 05:17 AM

Patch panels

Originally Posted by psmith19512013
You may be able to use some of the panels made for the Chevy or Buicks. Between using pieces of those with a hammer & mig welder, you should be able to make do very well. Most areas can be repaired with flat sheet metal. I am working on a 90 series coupe and have made repair panels when needed. Good luck on yours. Be sure to list any thing that you may need help with. There is much information that this forum can help with. Psmith
You might try Chevys of the 40's
Old January 13th, 2022, 06:31 AM
Administrator

I merged your 2 threads. As others have stated, your best bet is to form your own sheet metal.