Correct way to check transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2010, 03:36 PM

Correct way to check transmission fluid

This may sound like a no-brainer question but I've got to ask. 1978 Olds Delta 88 Royale, THM 350 transmission. According to the service manual to check the fluid level drive at least 15 miles, did that. With the car in park at idle go through the gears. Immediately check the fluid level and it should be in the 'full hot' range. That is a true statement, however if I wipe off the dipstick and reinsert it and check again I see little or no fluid on it. Which is the correct reading? The one taken right after driving or the one after the dipstick is wiped off? Note - I see no transmission fluid on the driveway so it doesn't appear to be leaking.

Thanks
Chris
Old February 28th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Land Yacht Captain

You should always be checking the transmission fluid after you remove the stick and clean it off. If not all you are getting is the fluid that splashed up onto the dipstick. You don't really need to go through all those steps. Drive it yes (transmission must be at operating temp). Shift through the gears (not really necessary unless you just did a drain/fill). Engine idling, remove the stick clean it off and then check the fluid level.
Old February 28th, 2010, 05:59 PM

Thanks Craig, odd that I see no leaks yet there doesn't seem to be much on the stick. It shifts correctly AFAICT, no jerks or hesitation. I plan on getting the transmission serviced next week so I expect I'll find out then if there are any problems.

Chris
Old February 28th, 2010, 07:09 PM

Exclamation Checking???

Originally Posted by capot
Thanks Craig, odd that I see no leaks yet there doesn't seem to be much on the stick. It shifts correctly AFAICT, no jerks or hesitation. I plan on getting the transmission serviced next week so I expect I'll find out then if there are any problems.

Chris

Don't wait 'til next week to get it serviced and not top up the fluid level now!!! Get some Dexron Mercon III or II Transmission Fluid and top up the fluid until it's full, before you continue to drive it any farther and you start to burn up your Clutches prematurely!!!
Old February 28th, 2010, 07:15 PM

Will do then, as soon as I get home from work tomorrow