1965 TH400 Switch Pitch Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2016, 05:55 PM

1965 TH400 Switch Pitch Adjustment

Hey All! I was under the hood tinkering around, and decided to test whether or the switch pitch was working properly. I noticed that it only works when the pedal is depressedall the way, pinned to the floor. Is there any way to adjust this or is that where it is supposed to be? Thanks!
Old September 9th, 2016, 05:33 AM
Administrator

There are 2 switches in the assy, 1 is for the switch pitch, the other is for the kickdown (passing gear). The SP is on at idle and full throttle.
Old September 9th, 2016, 08:08 AM

It the switch is anything like what is on a 66 Cutlass then what Eric said is true. It's not adjustable.
My 65 Riviera however had a different type of switch that was somewhat adjustable.
Show us a picture of what you have.
Here is what mine looks like. This type is non-adjustable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TA (1).jpg (841.0 KB, 62 views)
TA (2).jpg (872.0 KB, 56 views)
TA.jpg (779.1 KB, 57 views)
Old September 9th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Oldsdruid

You have to adjust the throttle rod to make these adjustments. There's a whole illustrated page in the 65-67 shop books that shows how to make the adjustment.

The downshift part of the switch should make at WOT.

Switch pitch control part of the switch is on at curb idle speed and then when the throttle gets past about (I think) 30% open the switch moves the converter stator angle.

It's a great idea in theory but, like most Buick-influenced transmission designs, not overly reliable. Buick was using variable angle converters on Dynaflows back in the 50s with only limited success. HydraMatics would have been a much better transmission for them given the weight of a Buick, but since it wasn't designed in Flint, Buick would have nothing to do with what they derisively called "Hydra-Jerk". Never mind Cadillac was selling all the HydraMatic cars they could build.

Then again a HydraMatic would have played hell with that antiquated torque tube drive Buick stuck with for so long. Interesting that once they abandoned torque tubes development on the torque converter TurboHydraMatic got in high gear. Yes, THM is a Buick design.

Last edited by rocketraider; September 9th, 2016 at 11:30 AM.
Old February 16th, 2023, 12:14 AM

Old thread ---but I hope to get a reply to a question. I never seen this feature before-----but---I just rebuilt one of these for a 66 Deville Convertible----the SP feature was not being utilized when it got here or at any time this customer has owned the car.He didnt know the feature existed either.---- The wiring to the trans was wire tied to the speedo cable and I could tell one female spade had been hot inside the electrical plug and it had a freeze plug installed where the wiring connector should have been going into the trans case..Once inside I found the wires had become hard and brittel,some insulation was missing and the wire to the pump solenoid was shorted to ground where in snakes in behind the pump---Probably the cause of the hot terminal--so they unplugged it--the owner said the plug leaked so they put the freeze plug in---I have rebuilt it--All the parts were there except for that 2 prong case connector-- which I purchased from Transtar I repaired/replaced the wiring and both solenoids tested good.While I am waiting on the correct rebuilt torque convertor I looked to see if the switch was there that activates the features----it was all there and seems to function properly--although it appears to operated differently than I originally thought it would---------the trans connector has no 12 volt power at idle-----open the throttle 1/4 and it has 12 volt power to the convertor solenoid---and the power remains for the full throttle movement ----------the second wire gets its 12 volt power around 3/4 throttle.. So it appears the convertor is in high stall mode when there is NO power to the solenoid and applying 12v makes it go to low stall mode So--If you take off from a stop in high stall mode(no 12V) and get the car rolling it would switch to low stall at 1/4 throttle when it see's 12 voltsget the downshift...................I thought 12 activated the high stall -----but this says different. The solenoids are closed with no voltage----applying 12v opens the solenoid and lets it dump fluid back into the case---which triggers the stator change. Same for the kickdown solenoid---it dumps fluid from a passage to get the downshift. The car has been driving around in high stall mode all the time---never switching to low stall-----I though it would default to low stall mode when disconnected/ wire broke or what not-----but apparently it defaults to high stall mode ?

Last edited by Bennett662; February 16th, 2023 at 09:37 AM.
Old February 16th, 2023, 04:52 PM

anyone???