Tranny Swap----Help

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2022, 06:01 PM

Question Tranny Swap----Help

Hi All, I have a 56 Olds Holiday 88. It has a 1965 Olds 425 and turbo 400 tranny. I am wanting to change it to a 4 speed. Has anyone out there done a swap like this? I have a Saginaw 4 speed with the 2.84 low gear, a Chevy 11" flywheel clutch disk and pressure plate. I would need to find a bell housing and don't have a clutch peddle or linkage. Any info or parts would be a help. Any do's or don't's. I just don' t want to get into anything that won't work. Let me know what you think. I am also wanting a pair of front bumper guards for my 56 Olds, anyone got a pair? Thanks for your time, Dennis

Pic's of my 56. https://classicoldsmobile.com/g/album/19481475

Last edited by Dennis B; January 4th, 2022 at 10:05 PM.
Old January 4th, 2022, 09:01 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I know you don't want to use that Saginaw 4 speed because it will not hold up behind that 425. You will probably have to have the crankshaft drilled or us a special pilot bearing that requires cutting the end of he pilot shaft off. I don't believe the Chevy flywheel is going to work although the clutch and pressure plate might. The splines on the clutch disk would have to match the transmission. The clutch linkage is probably going to have to be hydraulic with a slave cylinder or throwout bearing. This is going to be a pretty big undertaking.
Old January 4th, 2022, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the info. I didn't know it would need that much work. That's a nice looking 55 you got. I dream of a stick car but I'm glad you let me know of that. Thanks for you help and will have to really think about what I want to do. Dennis
Old January 5th, 2022, 06:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Dennis B
Thanks for the info. I didn't know it would need that much work. That's a nice looking 55 you got. I dream of a stick car but I'm glad you let me know of that. Thanks for you help and will have to really think about what I want to do. Dennis
Just to elaborate a little, Olds typically did not drill the crank for the pilot bushing on engines that came from the factory with an AT. Here's a photo of the difference (MT on the left, AT on the right). Also a drawing of the required machining. Yes, the crank needs to come out.

Old January 5th, 2022, 06:23 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Glad to at least give you an idea of what you would be facing. Lots of work and lots of $$$. You have a very good transmission in the Turbo 400. The convertible is actually a 54. Thanks for the compliment.
Old January 5th, 2022, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Just to elaborate a little, Olds typically did not drill the crank for the pilot bushing on engines that came from the factory with an AT. Here's a photo of the difference (MT on the left, AT on the right). Also a drawing of the required machining. Yes, the crank needs to come out.

Thanks, I can see the difference and this makes a big difference and I won't want to go through that. I guess I'll leave it just as it is or maybe try and trade it on a 57 Chevy with a stick shift. Thanks so much for you help, I will really have to think about this. Have a nice day, Dennis
Old January 6th, 2022, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Glad to at least give you an idea of what you would be facing. Lots of work and lots of $$$. You have a very good transmission in the Turbo 400. The convertible is actually a 54. Thanks for the compliment.
I turned 16 in 1971, my parents had little money so we always drove older cars. I took my driving test in a 54 Olds at the time, no power steering or nothing. I fell in Love with the 50's and 60's. Thanks for all your help, I love Form's like this, Dennis
Old January 9th, 2022, 04:56 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

You can always do a manual valve body in the TH400 and a floor shift. We also weren't rich people and our families bargain Olds far out lived everything else we could afford. Your 425 may be set up for a manual trans already, it is hit or miss. My 76 350 was ready to go from the factory. Weird considering how few were equipped in those years. A T10 or Munchie are both much better options for the manual swap. There is a reason they cost more money. My Sister ended up with a free Saginaw in the shed of the house she rented, that is how desirable they are. It sounds like a great car as is, good luck.