Torque Converter Identification....

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2022, 12:33 PM

Torque Converter Identification....

I just picked this up with a bunch of olds parts. He swears its an olds t350 converter yet I'm used to the bigger fatter ones. Anyone have a clue what this bad boy is for? Thanks

Old January 23rd, 2022, 12:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

The red color and the handwritten "GM-20" are consistent with a Hughes Performance 2000 RPM stall converter for a TH350/TH400.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 01:44 PM

Joe - thank you! Pardon the potentially dumb question- I'm used to the bigger fatter torque converter that came originally came in my '68 442. Do you think this is a direct swap for that? Just trying to figure out if I can use this thing. There were Hughes stickers in the crate so.....you are correct again
Old January 23rd, 2022, 02:24 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by shamusj
Joe - thank you! Pardon the potentially dumb question- I'm used to the bigger fatter torque converter that came originally came in my '68 442. Do you think this is a direct swap for that? Just trying to figure out if I can use this thing. There were Hughes stickers in the crate so.....you are correct again
You can use it, but it has a higher stall speed than the original. If that matches your engine and gearing, great.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 03:57 PM

Unless you trust the person you got it from, or know for a fact what the history of the converter is, I wouldn’t use it. Whatever trash is in the converter (either from prior transmission failure, improper storage) will get pumped into your new transmission.

You could have it cut open and rebuilt, most converter shops charge around 100 bucks (plus parts) to freshen a converter. Considering that’s a 200 dollar converter, unless you know someone local who rebuilds converters it’s probably not cost effective.

Most stock GM converters like that are around 1800-2000 stall speed. That’s basically a stock converter with a few performance upgrades.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 04:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by matt69olds
Unless you trust the person you got it from, or know for a fact what the history of the converter is, I wouldn’t use it. Whatever trash is in the converter (either from prior transmission failure, improper storage) will get pumped into your new transmission.

You could have it cut open and rebuilt, most converter shops charge around 100 bucks (plus parts) to freshen a converter. Considering that’s a 200 dollar converter, unless you know someone local who rebuilds converters it’s probably not cost effective.

Most stock GM converters like that are around 1800-2000 stall speed. That’s basically a stock converter with a few performance upgrades.
It appears to be unused from the photos. No scrapes around the bolt holes, no scrapes where the pilot goes into the end of the crank, etc. The Sharpie "GM-20" is consistent with how I've seen other Hughes converters marked from the factory.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 05:49 PM

It's definitely never been used or mounted. Weird how it's so much smaller than the one I"m used to (blue) and has different bolt pattern

Old January 23rd, 2022, 06:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

The bolt pattern should be the same. The smaller diameter is to increase the stall speed. The flanges for bolts (as opposed to the bosses on your OEM converter) are due to the smaller diameter. The GM-20 should be a 12" converter.

http://www.hughesperformance.com/product/gm20-bpohd/

Scroll down on this page for more info:

http://www.hughesperformance.com/hd-street-strip/
Old January 23rd, 2022, 06:28 PM

The only issue (if you can even call it that) is the converter has bolt hole flanges as opposed to the threaded lugs typically used on BOP converters. Just make sure to space the converter appropriately when using bolts and nuts to attach it as the weights on the flex plate may interfere with the flange contact.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 08:27 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

There was just a thread on these, this is the new "GM" 20 converter, only one part number now. Apparently the older converters are harder to find for cores so they went with new smaller style and are now bolt and nut. That should only be a few hundred higher stall than stock. Here is the whole thread, the Classic Oldsmobile transmission expert matt69olds straightened us all out and explained the change.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...fusion-160713/

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; January 24th, 2022 at 05:49 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 10:19 PM

If it’s new, I wouldn’t hesitate using it, assuming it fits the intended purpose. Hughes stuff is among the best in the business.
Old January 24th, 2022, 09:48 AM

Gentlemen - thanks for all of the info. Definitely answered all of my questions. Cheers.