TH350 with transgo holds 2nd too long

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2020, 01:21 PM

TH350 with transgo holds 2nd too long

Hello everyone,

I have a stock 71 350 with 4bbl qjet, performer intake and headers with a turbo350 with an adjustable modulator and transgo shift kit behind it.

Since i installed the transgo shift kit, im really happy. On light/part throttle the shifts are quite smooth (but a bit firmer than stock) and on WOT, the shifts are tire-chirping firm.

my problem now is, that the transmission holds the second gear too long for my (stock) engine (shifts at about 5000 to 3rd).

I havent already touched the governor, some governor parts like springs came with the shift kit.

What can i do to get the the upshift from 2nd to 3rd gear earlier?

i need some transmission-expert tips

Thanks for every ideas!

Greetings from Austria
Old June 12th, 2020, 01:33 PM

If you did not make any modifications to the governor, the shift points should not have changed.

The only thing I can think of is back when I installed my first Trans Go kit in the 80s, I inadvertently put the spring for the vacuum modulator valve in the wrong location (between the vacuum modulator and the valve instead of behind the valve) and the trans would really wind out the gears before shifting at full throttle.

Old June 12th, 2020, 02:09 PM

Ok, so my my untouched governor is the problem for that late-shifting 2nd?

I can remember, before i installed the shift kit, i had this overreving after kickdown from 3rd to 2nd a few times too.

It mostly appears when im in 3rd gear at about 50 - 60 mph an hit the pedal, the trans downshifts like it should, but wont shift back up to 3rd early enough.

And this with stock 2.56 gears. Im a bit afraid that this problem gets bigger when i mount the 3.23 gears which i have already laying around. Or are these engines/transmissions just not made for kickdown at a speed of 60 mph? I really think of replacing that th350 with a 4 speed muncie to get rid of problems like this

Thanks for your ideas!
Old June 12th, 2020, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
If you did not make any modifications to the governor, the shift points should not have changed.

The only thing I can think of is back when I installed my first Trans Go kit in the 80s, I inadvertently put the spring for the vacuum modulator valve in the wrong location (between the vacuum modulator and the valve instead of behind the valve) and the trans would really wind out the gears before shifting at full throttle.

I have this small gold spring behind the valve piston like in this exploded view . Yeah i understand! If the spring is between modulator an piston, this cannot work .
Old June 12th, 2020, 02:15 PM

To get it right, adjusting the modulator only changes shift points at part throttle?
Old June 13th, 2020, 10:10 PM

There's more than one thing that this can be.

You could have a sticking valve in the valve body. Sticking governor. Modulator adjustment or vacuum supply. I'm also concerned about your "overrevving after kickdown" comment, which could be a weak one-way clutch or a slipping friction member.